Car help - Overheating

thecharmingmanthecharmingman Posts: 1,080
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello all

I have a Ford Fiesta 1.25 and recently its been having problems!

Symptoms:

The engine temperature gauge goes from 'normal' to 'red' intermittently. The heaters have also stopped working.

I ran the engine listened and it sounded like the fan at the front was whirring more than normal, I also looked at the engine and there seemed a faint "burning smell" (I’m not sure if this is just me being paranoid)

The car SEEMS to be driving fine, but does anyone have any ideas what is wrong with my car?

Thanks all, as you can probably tell I’m not a mechanic!

Comments

• CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    Basics first ... Is there enough coolant in the cooling system? One symptom of a loss of coolant can be the heater stopping working since there is not enough coolant to circulate - and not enough coolant would certainly cause things under the bonnet to be running a bit warmer than usual, causing the fan to try to cool down the coolant via the radiator, but if there is not enough coolant there ...

And if you have lost coolant, don't just top it up and carry on - find out why you lost it . And don't top it up with water - use the correct concentration of anti-freeze.

EDIT - original post edited to remove some rambling.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After the car has been parked for a while, have a look under it - check for a pool of liquid on the floor.

As per the above post - dont just top up, this is a serious problem and you must have it checked out and fixed - afterall you dont want the engine to freeze up while your in the outside lane of the motorway!

Dave
  • Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    Hello all

I have a Ford Fiesta 1.25 and recently its been having problems!

Symptoms:

The engine temperature gauge goes from 'normal' to 'red' intermittently. The heaters have also stopped working.

I ran the engine listened and it sounded like the fan at the front was whirring more than normal, I also looked at the engine and there seemed a faint "burning smell" (I’m not sure if this is just me being paranoid)

The car SEEMS to be driving fine, but does anyone have any ideas what is wrong with my car?

Thanks all, as you can probably tell I’m not a mechanic!

Thermostat fault or head gasket/warped cylinder head or possible and more likely (as its intermittent) an air lock in the system which can be solved by draining the system completely and refilling.

Does your heater blow hot?
  • thecharmingmanthecharmingman Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve™ wrote: »
    Thermostat fault or head gasket/warped cylinder head or possible and more likely (as its intermittent) an air lock in the system which can be solved by draining the system completely and refilling.

Does your heater blow hot?

Thanks for the replys everyone

No the internal heaters do not blow out hot air, its just cold.
  • Roy22Roy22 Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    Once you've established that the system is full of coolant, don't overlook the water pump.

If this starts to underperform (the 'impeller' bit inside can work loose and slip slightly on its spindle, or perhaps a drivebelt problem?) then the basic functioning of the whole cooling system is affected.

This happened to me. The heater stopped working long before any other symptoms appeared. The books will tell you that a faulty water pump will make it overheat, but in my experience, poor heater output comes much sooner that over heating.

Given that you could have low coolant (probably due to a leak if not longterm neglect), or water pump problems, or several other less common problems, you're going to have to decide if you are willing to get your hands dirty on this one. It's not usually hard to bleed any air from the system whilst adding more coolant if required, and this should be your first step.

Otherwise, you'll need a mechanic!
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replys everyone

No the internal heaters do not blow out hot air, its just cold.

I'd suggest an air-lock then. Its a difficult one without looking at the car, but the drain and refill option is probably the cheapest option initially. If that doesnt cure it then have a compression test done. Personally I know most overheating faults on the 1.25 are resolved by fitting a new stat. Just depends on how much you want to spend based on value of motor etc
  • COAXCOAX Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is there any white/yellowy gunge under the oil cap or on the dipstick or in the radiator cap? if there is suspect head gasket problems. my AX has always had an appitite for coolant, 1st because of the head gasket leaking slightly and then blowing and now because of a seep in the radiator I left it too long once and nearly killed it :rolleyes: I wouldn't drive it if you can until its been looked at because if may save you quite a lot of money
  • alsdoublealsdouble Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    I had an Opel Manta overheated.

Drove me half round the bend. Replaced everything. Still overheated.

Eventually I chopped it in for something better.

Shuld have had the head skimmed.
  • SamoanJOESamoanJOE Posts: 3,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YOU HAVE NO WATER/COOLANT IN THE CAR!!!!!!

fill it up!!!
  • thecharmingmanthecharmingman Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone is interested: Cost me £200 to fix.

It needed a new thermostat and hosuing.
    Forum Member
    If anyone is interested: Cost me £200 to fix.

It needed a new thermostat and hosuing.

ha I was right:D