X Box 360 4gb or 250gb?

jessmumjessmum Posts: 596
Forum Member
✭✭
My son has asked for an Xbox for christmas and I havent a clue

Should I get the 4gb or 250gb? He'll simply be using it for playing games on - no internet access

Is the 250gb much, much better for the sake of the extra 60 quid?

Cheers x

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If its just for playing games and not Xbox Live then the 4gb will be ok I'd say. The difference is obviously the hard drive size but also I think the 250gb model has a gloss finish and the 4gb doesn't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's been some problems with playing some games on the 4GB system because of the lack of Hard Drive. I think Microsoft are working to fix the problems.
  • Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you not already had two very similar threads on this?

I might be mistaken you for somebody else but I'm sure it you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    jessmum wrote: »

Should I get the 4gb or 250gb? He'll simply be using it for playing games on - no internet access

Cheers x

I would buy the 250gb version myself as I install my games to the hard drive, so save work on the disk. The disk is needed when loading games, but will not be used while the game is being played.

Also I know you said your son will not be using the internet, but are you aware that game updates come via the update. Even if he doesn't have Gold membership on Live, from what I understand.

Also to play online with his friends it will also use the internet and Gold membership.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Devils Dog wrote: »
    I would buy the 250gb version myself as I install my games to the hard drive, so save work on the disk. The disk is needed when loading games, but will not be used while the game is being played.

Also I know you said your son will not be using the internet, but are you aware that game updates come via the update. Even if he doesn't have Gold membership on Live, from what I understand.

Also to play online with his friends it will also use the internet and Gold membership.

Yup. Game updates & system updates are via the internet, & can be obtained using a free Silver XBL membership. A Gold (paid-for) XBL membership is only needed for online multiplayer, & a few things such as Party Mode & video chat.

Even without a Gold membership, it's still worth having the 360 connected to the internet for system updates, game updates, & access to the XBL Marketplace for all the various downloadable content (DLC) & other stuff.
  • rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am in a similar position to the op, if i get the 4gb model (money is tight) can i plug an external hard drive or Memory stick into the 4gb model ?
    Also if i hire game then load onto hard drive to play from there is this legal ?
    I am new to all this gaming stuff ?

Many thanks
    Also what should i be paying for a 4gb model
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You still need the disc to play games when they're on the hard drive.
  • Captain BirdseiCaptain Birdsei Posts: 1,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rottweiler wrote: »
    I am in a similar position to the op, if i get the 4gb model (money is tight) can i plug an external hard drive or Memory stick into the 4gb model ?

Yes you can, but only 16GB of external storage is allowed for game loading and saves.

As to the OP it depends on how your son wants to use the box. being able to install games on the HDD means gameplay is quieter.

You can buy an official add on HDD later, so it's not the end of the world if you just buy the 4GB one for now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So i can load games onto the external hard drive but i still need to use the game disc itself as well ?

So the 250gb model will only allow 16gb for loading of games also ?
    What is the other 234gb for ?
  • Captain BirdseiCaptain Birdsei Posts: 1,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, you can load 250GB of game onto the 250GB model. But you have to put the disc in to play the game still. It just won't be noisey and should be faster loading etc.

If you want a collection of games on the machine without having to stick a disc in every time you can buy them from xbox live for download.
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    I would get him 250gb not just for the install in case he decides to get xbla games and DLC of the store witch are priced reasonably well are lots fun.
  • FunkmasterTFunkmasterT Posts: 14,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So i can load games onto the external hard drive but i still need to use the game disc itself as well ?

So the 250gb model will only allow 16gb for loading of games also ?
    What is the other 234gb for ?

You need the disc in for a security check.

External storage is USB pens, portable hard drives, etc. - the 16gb partition can be done on those. You have full use of the 250GB HDD that comes with the 360.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would get him 250gb not just for the install in case he decides to get xbla games and DLC of the store witch are priced reasonably well are lots fun.

What does this mean ?

What are the best prices to pay for the 4gb and 250gb models
  • tommyd1258tommyd1258 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    I'd get the 250gb one as it's worth it for the future investment. As he gets older he'll want more and more games and eventually to go online so you'll end up buying a bigger hdd if you get a 4gb anyway. May as well pay a bit more now.
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    What does this mean ?

What are the best prices to pay for the 4gb and 250gb models

There are down loadable games on the on xbox live that your son may get into over a short time this would fill up the 4gb drive. Also demos will be very handy so he dose not get you buy game he dose not like on average 2 or 3 demos would fill up the 4gb drive.

Shopto.net is cheapest I can find

£185

http://www.shopto.net/XBOX%20360/HARDWARE/XB2BU57-Xbox%20360%20250gb%20Console%20Black.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that a good price for a new xbox 250gb ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's worth really paying extra for the 250GB model you only end up buying the external drives anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    It may be worth waiting until Wednesday before deciding where to buy the xbox from.
    I believe Sainsburys will be starting a major price promotion on ALL consoles, games and accessories. ;)
    I don't know all he details yet, but will let you know when I find out.
    At the moment the 250g is £189.99 with an option to buy a couple of games cheap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought the 4GB model and installed an old 20GB hard drive taken from an old RROD Xbox 360. It all works perfectly well, but I have to use blu-tack to stop the drive wobbling about until someone brings out some proper enclosures. :rolleyes:

I've seen it mentioned that MS might ban people for doing this, though myself I find it extremely unlikely, and if they did I would return the 360 as I have not invalidated the warranty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKnaixPCsns

It's a lot easier to remove than this ^^ guy makes it look. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks,I will hold off until wednesday
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any news about the Sainsburys deal ?
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    jessmum wrote: »

Cheers x

250gb is an awful lot and he will probably never fill it, but likewise, 4gb is not enough.

Since these are the choices, I'd go for the 250gb.

When you factor in game saves, downloadable content for games, and installing games to the hard drive (which is an option and can speed up loading times), then you will need the space.
  • User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok apologies if somethings I mention have already been touched upon.

A 4gb Slim xbox is all fine and dandy until you want to play certain games online. For instance if you want to play Halo Reach online and play a 'Co-operative' multiplayer your Xbox will tell you there is not enough memory (or something similar). The way to get around this is either buy a 250gb to begin with or upgrade the harddrive on the 4gb. The hilarious thing is 'Comet' are bundling up Halo:Reach and the Xbox 4gb slim as part of it's promotions. Microsoft are aware of the problem but whether they do anything is another matter.

What I have done is maybe a bit awkward but gives the same outcome:

I bought an Xbox 4gb slim off Amazon for £140...you get two free games and the option of buying a second wireless controller for £15 (Usually £25-£35). Microsoft have now launched a 250gb harddrive upgrade retailing at around £75.
    I didn't want to pay that amount so bought mine on Ebay (think it's from china) for £44..

So in short I got an Xbox 250gb for £184 and free games and half price controllers. Don't buy from Game/HMV etc...you will get ripped off. A little lookaround will serve results.

You could buy an old 120gb Elite xbox but you will still pay to buy a wireless adaptor (approx £50) so either way microsoft get you.

Why couldn't they just launch a 100gb version....4gb seems pitful and 250gb is overkill...
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why couldn't they just launch a 100gb version....
    Because manufacturers don't make 100GB HDDs.
  • User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conroy wrote: »
    Because manufacturers don't make 100GB HDDs.

The old style elite's have 120gb hdd's...why can't the slim's have that?