Dynasty Warriors 8

jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
Forum Member
Aha, many people think that Dynasty Warriors fans died out after the Ps2 era when they released over 1000 versions of the same game but they'd be wrong. I'm still a huge Dynasty Warriors fan and continued playing after the popular launch title for PS2 and others.

I'm sure not many people have heard of this game, or have played it in ages but i want to share that Dynasty Warriors 8 has been announced for PS3 in 2013 Q1.

Here is a Trailer-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IckAI_1_3bI&feature=g-subs-u

Here are some features from the game-
There will be more than 75 characters appearing in total
Story Mode is still faction-oriented and has seamless cutscenes
The mode may have online co-op
DW8 will have more freedom in the stage's progress route, unlike DW7 which had a quite preset progress route
There will be also what-if stories that consist of certain generals living beyond their actual lifespans
There will be a selection of main characters to choose in some stages
Free Mode is returning
There will be also another new game mode for the replay value
Characters now have Three musou attacks,
There is a new type of attacks/defense called 'Counter' 'Storm Rush' and 'Awakening'

So if you're a Dynasty Warriors fan, or the game has made you interested in Dynasty Warriors then post here.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    One of my guilty gaming pleasures the Dynasty warriors games.

No idea why they appeal just know that they do. Hopefully there will be split screen as it's great to play with friends on the sofa next to you .. yup proper old school!!
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Yep, it's been confirmed that it will have splitscreen play and online co-op as well. It;s sounding like this may be the best Dynasty Warriors game yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    I know of at least three others who play them all and yet they never have them on display launch day in Game, it's the only game I could be described as good at.
    Forum Member
    Another promotional video has been released from jump fiesta. Similar to the first one tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljiFQIWsFWs&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Forum Member
    Well this has just made my day-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OgZQFmb9Sg
  • BoiledSpoonsBoiledSpoons Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    I love the DW series, so I'll be preordering this :D
    DW kickstarted my interest in Chinese history as well :rolleyes:
    DW 5 was the last one where I maxed every character, there are too many characters for me to do that now (and I'm getting old).

It always bugged me that Game Central would complain how the latest release was "exactly" the same as the previous games and would then rave over the latest Fifa etc.
    Forum Member
    Me too haha. I've read ROTK and seen the TV series thanks to Dynasty Warriors.

Agree about the game reviewer things. bugs me when the game changes so much but they still same its the same.

No UK release date yet but im sure it'll be about before the summer.
    Forum Member
    I work at a University, and my PC wallpaper used to be a lineup of the WU characters from DW4. One day we had a group of Chinese students come into my office and they can't have failed to see it. I'm pretty sure of that as the first of those students ran off down the hall shouting "Sun Quan, Sun Quan". His friends had a hell of a job keeping straight faces...

I ordered the 4 volume ROTK from the on campus Waterstones. When it turned up, the lady on the counter gave me a funny look.
    "What is this? We've all been trying to figure it out".
    "Have you seen the game Dynasty Warriors? This is the book it's based on"
    Rather worryingly, her face lit up "Oh that!"
    At least ROTK is becoming known though pop culture :p
    Forum Member
    I know of at least three others who play them all and yet they never have them on display launch day in Game, it's the only game I could be described as good at.

Too right - I used to scoot into Game to pick up any DW game on release day and if I was lucky they'd have one copy.

On a slightly related note, I remember trying to get We Love Katamari on release day. Game didn't have it and said they "might" get it in in a couple of weeks :(
    Out of all the shops only our Virgin Megastore actually had copies.
    Forum Member
    I work at a University, and my PC wallpaper used to be a lineup of the WU characters from DW4. One day we had a group of Chinese students come into my office and they can't have failed to see it. I'm pretty sure of that as the first of those students ran off down the hall shouting "Sun Quan, Sun Quan". His friends had a hell of a job keeping straight faces...

I ordered the 4 volume ROTK from the on campus Waterstones. When it turned up, the lady on the counter gave me a funny look.
    "What is this? We've all been trying to figure it out".
    "Have you seen the game Dynasty Warriors? This is the book it's based on"
    Rather worryingly, her face lit up "Oh that!"
    At least ROTK is becoming known though pop culture :p

haha, funny story! No one i know personally is a fan of Dynasty Warriors like me (apart from my cousins whom i introduced the game to)

Yep the ROTK novel is a great, as is the 2010 tv series. Thanks to Dynasty Warriors i have discovered so many things i never would have before. (and people say you can't learn anything from video games, well i'll tell you one thing i learnt, Do not pursue Lu Bu!)
    Forum Member
    Lu Bu indeed kicks ass :D
    I've not seen the 2010 series, but I have seen the 1994 one. That starts right at the begining of the book, rather than with Cao Cao and the Seven Star Sword.

As you can probably guess, nearly all the Chinese students know the stories - it's like their equivalent of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.

DW related fact - back in 2009 archaeologists reported what they believed to be Cao Cao's tomb. A lot of scholars believe the find is fake though.
    Forum Member
    Lu Bu indeed kicks ass :D
    I've not seen the 2010 series, but I have seen the 1994 one. That starts right at the begining of the book, rather than with Cao Cao and the Seven Star Sword.

As you can probably guess, nearly all the Chinese students know the stories - it's like their equivalent of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.

DW related fact - back in 2009 archaeologists reported what they believed to be Cao Cao's tomb. A lot of scholars believe the find is fake though.

Yeh the 94 series is awesome as well. Although after watching the 2010 series and then going back to watch the 94 series it's like a night and day difference. The production value is much better (obviously) on the 2010 series. So i really recommend you watch it as some of the scenes are much better than their 94 counterpart. But i do agree that the 94 series has a much longer story and also has some scenes the 2010 series does not.

This is probably the best scene from the 2010 series where Liu Bei, Zhuge liang & Liu Qi meet Lu Su to discuss the alliance just before Chi Bi battle. I really recommend the 2010 series as well if you have time. It starts off slow but then really picks up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2Ii7kfwNf_s#t=456s

And i know what you mean, In China the three kingdoms storyline is known by everyone. I have met a few people online through other forums who were impressed i knew as much as i did haha.

Yet tell anyone here you know about the three kingdoms period and they won't bat an eyelid. Oh and i saw the documentary about the tomb they found when they were trying to match DNA and things. Quite interesting.
    Forum Member
    The Chinese takeaway near my exe's house had a picture of the Peach Garden Oath hanging over the till.
    I got kudos from the owner for recognising it and the characters :cool:

And I'm impressed by your knowledge too :D
    Forum Member

And I'm impressed by your knowledge too :D

Likewise :D

And i hope you got a discount after pointing it out to the takeaway owner. Tbh i don't really notice the art in my local but i'll be sure to check it out next time i get a takeaway haha! :D

So when did you discover Dynasty Warriors? You got a favourite character or kingdom?
    Forum Member
    Blimey, flashback time!
    I'd just moved into a new house in about 1998 and I saw a cheaply priced beat em up in WH Smiths. That was the first Dynasty Warriors. I just loved the short histories that came with each character and when DW2 came out, I snapped that up too.

I also bought the Samurai Warriors series as well, but I knew most of that history already.

Before DW, the main Chinese stories I knew were Journey to the West (Monkey) and Outlaws of the Marshes (The Water Margin).

As for favourite kingdom, not really. My favourite character would be Yue Ying, along with Zhao Yun and Taishi Ci . Also Zhen Ji has some cool flute attacks!
    Forum Member
    Blimey, flashback time!
    I'd just moved into a new house in about 1998 and I saw a cheaply priced beat em up in WH Smiths. That was the first Dynasty Warriors. I just loved the short histories that came with each character and when DW2 came out, I snapped that up too.

I also bought the Samurai Warriors series as well, but I knew most of that history already.

Before DW, the main Chinese stories I knew were Journey to the West (Monkey) and Outlaws of the Marshes (The Water Margin).

As for favourite kingdom, not really. My favourite character would be Yue Ying, along with Zhao Yun and Taishi Ci . Also Zhen Ji has some cool flute attacks!

Nice! The first game i got was Dynasty Warriors 2. Originally wanted to get DW3 when it was just released but it was a bit too expensive at the time i think (2002?)Played it for hours on end and then got DW3 to follow up. When i played it first i had no idea it was based on real history until i actually looked into it.

Fascination grew from there.

Favourite characters from the novel and game are probably Zhao Yun, Zhuge Liang and the oath brothers, Ma Chao (can you see a pattern here)

I think because the games and novel are shu bias i've been brainwashed into leaning towards them :P

i've seen the journey to the west media adaptations but never actually read it.

And oh God, my Sengoku period history is horrible. I played SW1 and that is literally the extent of my knowledge of Japan in that era! :o
    Forum Member
    Game is coming out on the 19th now :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXsfu_Q-RpA
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Omg omg omg

Its almost out!!!
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lu Bu is total fail, Zhao Tai is the true king haha. Yeah, this game looks good, and I actually thought 6 was a good change and I really enjoyed it, as well as the empire games being the best for me. I hope 8 gets an empires, but this is Koei, they will always do an empires and an extreme edition. I just hope they release it on PC, not sure I will be getting a PlayStation at launch and 7 was a nightmare to play in Japanese as English is my first language I am barely able at that haha.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dynasty Warriors 3 will always hold a special place in my heart. What a game that was. Meng Huo on his giant elephant.

I may look into getting this as I need a new hack-and-slash kind of game after completing DmC again!