itv now has a station logo on screen

steve1974steve1974 Posts: 51
Forum Member
Anyone else noticed that what used to be called ITV1, now simply "itv", has started displaying a station logo at the top left of the picture?!

Guess it was only a matter of time, it was only BBC1, BBC2, ITV1 and Channel 4 that didn't use them, still a bit surprised that one of "the big 4" have put a logo on screen, but I guess that's progress for you.

I suppose it's not too in your face at the moment, as long as it doesn't get larger.

Comments

• Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it's been there since the recent rebranding.

On the plus side, the ITV-HD channels on screen graphic has now become very much smaller and less intrusive.
  • poshbakerlooposhbakerloo Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    Pretty much all other channels have one so I don't know what the issue is.
  • JacquicrosslandJacquicrossland Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV has gone so downmarket in recent years, it should have a lower EPG place than even Channel 5. Ofcom should start a new round of Franchise auctions for regional TV and hold them to any promises made in the bidding process as they should have done after the last round of Franchise changes. And they should stop any TV company from owning another region within 200 miles of each other. Time to let ITV go and have a better commercial channel in the future in the third position.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ITV franchise IS up for renewal and part of that will be reviewing the public service obligations. Couldn't be a better time in the next 10 years to pin them down.
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fairness wrote: »
    The ITV franchise IS up for renewal and part of that will be reviewing the public service obligations. Couldn't be a better time in the next 10 years to pin them down.

Although they look set to have their existing licences extended to 2024 without any major changes.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/sep/18/itv-to-get-licence-renewal
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Massive discussion about it over here (first 26 pages not relevant!). I'm surprised it took you this long to notice, although it was made more prominent a week or so ago.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep on thinking it's a kiddies channel when I see the logo.
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only one that first saw the logo, and thought the joined up writing read UTV?
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not on my TV, but it is on the ITV Player. Maybe it's only on HD?
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 200,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »

We've had it on STV for the last month @ least !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    We've had it on STV for the last month @ least !

I hate on screen logos and pop up 'what's on next' info, especially prominent ones. I find them very distracting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    No, it's there all the time, except during adverts and the News. Maybe you have an enormous amount of overscan on your set or you are watching in 4:3.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ProDave wrote: »
    Am I the only one that first saw the logo, and thought the joined up writing read UTV?
    No, others have posted this on the other thread I linked to, but I don't see it myself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    ITV has gone so downmarket in recent years, it should have a lower EPG place than even Channel 5. Ofcom should start a new round of Franchise auctions for regional TV and hold them to any promises made in the bidding process as they should have done after the last round of Franchise changes. And they should stop any TV company from owning another region within 200 miles of each other. Time to let ITV go and have a better commercial channel in the future in the third position.

Seems pointless for them to force ITV to break up when Channel 8 Local TV is going to be coming online over the next few years.

And as for your opinion on ITV's quality...Channel 3 is the second most popular UK TV channel - has twice the audience of BBC Two, so you may not like ITV but plenty of other people do.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    I dont think theres any need for a logo on screen at all. If its ITV HD I can understand, just about, but ITV have never had a logo on screen for years. What next, a logo on BBC1 and 2 at all times? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ProDave wrote: »

I thought it looked like a cross between UTV and ATV (the colours)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TVPaulD wrote: »
    Seems pointless for them to force ITV to break up when Channel 8 Local TV is going to be coming online over the next few years.

And as for your opinion on ITV's quality...Channel 3 is the second most popular UK TV channel - has twice the audience of BBC Two, so you may not like ITV but plenty of other people do.

Local TV is not the same as regional TV. If you recall, ITV only used to come together as a network from the early evening news until after the news at ten except for weekends and holidays. And at night, after news at ten, we would often see those programmes from USA and Australia that we otherwise wouldn't see.

Of course ITV is the second most popular. W£hen I was born, there were only two channels, BBC and ITV (or BBC and Granada where I was). That gives them chance to build up a following before BBC 2 came on air and another 20 years before channel 4. But ITV as the regions had a greater diversity of watchable programmes appealing to all viewers and not just the 18-30 year olds who are most influenced by advertising.

Apart from the national contribution Granada made to the network, it also had some superb local programmes that would not be made now.

Granada Up Front was a weekly live audience participation discussion with Tony Wilson (Factory Records) and Lucy Meecock (Granada Reports and ITV News), Upstairs at Erics, The way we used to...., etc, etc. And having local continuity instead of London based continuity even for the regions, gave the viewers a feeling of being part of their regional TV.

The problem is that ITV got greedy. It went from 8 mins an hour of advertising to 14 mins an hour, started advertising other programmes during commercial breaks and end credits. And they replaced originality with inexperienced producers and directors putting out kiddies crap because it costs very little but brings in lots during the endless ads and premium rate dial-ups.

And one other thing about ITVs popularity - 20 million used to be a good audience. It's no good having the excuse that there is more TV about nowadays because if a show is well made and popular, it'll still get the ratings. If crap is made it'll get modern ratings and people will leave to see what's available elsewhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    No, it's there all the time, except during adverts and the News. Maybe you have an enormous amount of overscan on your set or you are watching in 4:3.

Yes I think you are correct. The logo must be off the side of the screen.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Pretty much all other channels have one so I don't know what the issue is.

BBC1/2 don't. Don't think Channel 4 does either, I know lots of channels have a logo but ITV has managed fine for years without one, and (for example) 5's logo has got worse and more prominent, I remember when Channel 5 first started broadcasting (I feel old...) it was semi transparent and quite small, now its solid and huge.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only channels left without logos (I think) are BBC One, BBC One HD, BBC Two, BBC News and Channel 4. Maybe BBC Parliament too, can't remember.

EDIT: Oh, and BBC Interactive.
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    The only channels left without logos (I think) are BBC One, BBC One HD, BBC Two, BBC News and Channel 4. Maybe BBC Parliament too, can't remember.

Well, BBC News and Parliament have a logo bottom left. When BBC Parliament shows material from old elections and CSPAN, the BBC Parliament DOG appears top left.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »

Also Babestation Blue, Studio 66 TV 1, 2, 3 and 4, and xxXpanded TV, or so my mate Pete says.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TVPaulD wrote: »

There was a time when BBC 2 was seen as a minority middle class highbrow channel. I have relatives who rarely or never stray onto BBC 2. If I were a top ITV executive it would worry me that the comparision with BBC 2 could even be made.
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I complain to itv about that stupid dog on ch3? :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭