Christopher Eccleston is being disrespectful

ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It saddens me that he's so negative about his time on DW, because he was truly fantastic.

Whilst I understand totally that he had his reasons for leaving (mainly being that the on set atmosphere was apparently horrible) I think it's wrong of him not to do the 50th. Old William Hartnell was DYING but he made the effort to return for the 10th anniversary. Chris is, as far as we know healthy, yet he can't bring himself to put in a few hours for the 50th.

It's not a good attitude for a former doctor to have, regardless of the reasons behind it. I don't want to dislike him, but I'm afraid I now do. Someone should have reminded him of Hartnell.

I totally get that he (rightfully) disliked the way things were run behind the scenes. I totally get that he doesn't want to be typecast (well, I don't know what he was expecting when he took on the role.) And I totally understand his apparent reasons for not wanting to come back. But he should have swept all of that under the bridge for such a special occasion. That's my own feeling anyway.

I bet David Tennant and Matt Smith dislike his attitude very much and I can imagine that some very bitter words have been exchanged about him by all of the surviving doctors.

Comments

• CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is disrespectful.
  • ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Assumptions, assumptions, assumptions. This is disrespectful.

Hartnell was terribly ill, but still joined in. Eccleston is fine, yet he won't do it. That isn't an assumption, that's how it is. He was offered the chance to come back.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nu who was...... well, nu. at least misters tennant and smith could watch episodes and had some idea of what might be expected of them ......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When filming for the 50th was underway, was he not busy? He may have decent reasons for not coming back to be honest,and for all we know he could feature! Just look at how quiet and secretive they were over McGann
  • PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has it not occurred to anyone that he might actually appear? McGann went on record several times saying that he hadn't been invited to take part in the 50th in any possible way yet we've now been given 'The Night of the Doctor' in which he returns to the role. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Chris pop up near the end of the episode (albeit briefly) to regenerate from Hurt.

Also, it's not really up to anyone here to say it's disrespectful. It's disrespectful of you to say it actually. It's his choice, his life, and if he wants to step back and stay away then that's up to him. Just because Doctor Who is an integral part of your life it doesn't mean that it is his. Just because he once played the Doctor doesn't mean he is tied to the role for the rest of his life for the sole purpose of pleasing the fans. He had a good run, a good series with some good stories. He's never put the show down and he's been VERY respectful towards the show and the fans in the way that he's handled the issues which he clearly had with the team working on the show when he was the lead. He's never felt the need to divulge the details or bemoan anyone and I think that's very good of him. He's a good man and I wish people would just leave him be; if he really doesn't want to come back then that's up to him and you should respect his decision.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thamwet wrote: »
    Hartnell was terribly ill, but still joined in. Eccleston is fine, yet he won't do it. That isn't an assumption, that's how it is. He was offered the chance to come back.

Eccleston hasn't spoken badly of the show. In Moffat's words he has been perfectly pleasant. He has said how he loves the character and was proud of the show and his work on it. He has spoken incredibly highly of the directors.

It's a loss that such a prominent figure is disconnected from the series. But he is still not obligated to return. He gets a lot of stick for not doing what fans think he ought to. Too much of it, IMO.
    But the most important thing is that I did it, not that I left. I’m very proud of it.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Eccleston did not owe the show anything. He acted a part, and he acted it well. He did what was required of him, that's all you're entitled to. He doesn't criticise the show, in fact he rather actively praises it from time to time rather endearingly, and despite the fact that he very clearly had problems with the production of Series 1 he has remained professional and keeps those matters to himself and those it concerns.

Just because he won't come parading back on screen to a role he left nearly a decade ago now, it doesn't mean he's being disrespectful at all. For reference he's my own favourite Doctor, and I would have absolutely have loved to see him back in the role even for 5 minutes... but I'm not bitter against the man for making the decision to turn down the role... the how's and why's are nothing to do with us.

Dislike him all you want, I'm sure that neither he nor the vast swathe of existence that is the internet fan base, really doesn't care. Go back and enjoy the Series 1 DVD's or something and sweep your demands under the bridge rather than demanding he sweep his morals under his.

Roll on the Anniversary and it's surprises...including a potential appearance from Eccleston as we really don't know! Positivity ftw!

Wow, I'm ranty... that's new :D:p
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »
    Has it not occurred to anyone that he might actually appear? McGann went on record several times saying that he hadn't been invited to take part in the 50th in any possible way yet we've now been given 'The Night of the Doctor' in which he returns to the role. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Chris pop up near the end of the episode (albeit briefly) to regenerate from Hurt.

Also, it's not really up to anyone here to say it's disrespectful. It's disrespectful of you to say it actually. It's his choice, his life, and if he wants to step back and stay away then that's up to him. Just because Doctor Who is an integral part of your life it doesn't mean that it is his. Just because he once played the Doctor doesn't mean he is tied to the role for the rest of his life for the sole purpose of pleasing the fans. He had a good run, a good series with some good stories. He's never put the show down and he's been VERY respectful towards the show and the fans in the way that he's handled the issues which he clearly had with the team working on the show when he was the lead. He's never felt the need to divulge the details or bemoan anyone and I think that's very good of him. He's a good man and I wish people would just leave him be; if he really doesn't want to come back then that's up to him and you should respect his decision.

couldn't have said it better, good post!

OP do you hold Tom Baker in similar regard? He refused to do the Five Doctors for far more selfish reasons!

Disrespectful FFS! :rolleyes:
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member

Did it even occur to you that Eccleston might simply have been too busy to take part?

Although at least you managed to spell his name correctly I guess, which must be a first for threads of this theme.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone else read the OP in the style of Catherine Tate as Lauren?

"Are you disrespectin' me, Eccleston(e)?"
    Forum Member
    Did anyone else read the OP in the style of Catherine Tate as Lauren?

"Are you disrespectin' me, Eccleston(e)?"

What I would have given to have Nine and Donna meet... it'd be absolutely hilarious :p
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is he disrespecting the programme? (oooh, I've gone all 'yoof'!) Edit.: Be More Pacific got in before me there!

Nah. Don't know what he was offered re: the 50th; Don't know his personal circumstances now or during 2004 shoot. Don't know much, really, do I! ;)

If he gave an interview saying he can't stand the programme and wished he never did it, I'd be a bit taken aback. Don't think that's likely. He seems quite proud from interviews I've read. 2005 Doctor Who *could* have crashed and burned. It didn't. It was a huge success...on Chris's watch. Since then we've had David, Matt and will soon have Peter C. S'all good. Or, indeed, fantastic.

Another edit: Also not being sarcy to the OP; just personally think the answer is "no" to their question. (I meant statement. Time to log off and get some shut-eye, I think!)
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. He isn't disrespectful to the show. He never has been. It doesn't matter how many people on forums start the same old thread rehashing the same old combination of guess work and conjecture.

The bit about Smith and Tennant and other doctors being angry about it is one of the low points of anything I've read on this forum. Where on earth does this stuff come from? Just making things up to suit an already biased view.

Of course people like the OP are free to throw around their thoughts and imaginings about what happened and CE is too busy being a fantastic actor to reply.

Some people really should think a bit more before they post such falsehoods.
  • ShhhSilenceShhhSilence Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    It's a job. Some people would like to go back to their old workplace, others wouldn't, that's life. Ol' Big Ecc himself did a great job in his year and owes nobody a bean. I'd like him to turn up in the 50th, but if he doesn't then that's ok too - it just means the 9th Doctor is running away from the 'fans' gross sense of entitlement.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its like with Matt Smith. He is relatively speaking early in his career. A career that I hope will be fantastic. And as a DW fan there will always be a sense of pride when we see him hopefully become even more famous and do some amazing work. And while it will be nice if he does mention the show every so often I wouldn't want it to haunt him. It embarrasses me as a fan that some would constantly go on about it and not let it go. Let them move on. Otherwise who will take the role? Its a job. It isn't a life sentence of being beholden to the whims of a rabid fandom who demand that an actor behave in a certain way that suits their particular vision of what respecting the show means. It reflects badly on fans. Yes. Everyone who takes the role is aware of its significance but why should they be defined by it? They shouldn't.

Of course we obsess about the show but once theyve left the actors have done their job. They have given us amazing episodes to rewatch as we wish. Why bother them with it for the rest of their career?
    Forum Member
    Its like with Matt Smith. He is relatively speaking early in his career. A career that I hope will be fantastic. And as a DW fan there will always be a sense of pride when we see him hopefully become even more famous and do some amazing work. And while it will be nice if he does mention the show every so often I wouldn't want it to haunt him. It embarrasses me as a fan that some would constantly go on about it and not let it go. Let them move on. Otherwise who will take the role? Its a job. It isn't a life sentence of being beholden to the whims of a rabid fandom who demand that an actor behave in a certain way that suits their particular vision of what respecting the show means. It reflects badly on fans. Yes. Everyone who takes the role is aware of its significance but why should they be defined by it? They shouldn't.

Of course we obsess about the show but once theyve left the actors have done their job. They have given us amazing episodes to rewatch as we wish. Why bother them with it for the rest of their career?

Exactly!

I mean, a little local shop near me just celebrated its seventy-fifth year of trade. I didn't see the community clambering around to get that guy back from 1991 who had a sales job there for fifteen months...he's likely moved on with his life now, and while he probably looks back fondly on his time there (he probably doesn't actually, if the turnover is anything to go by :p ) he's got other things on now. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll keep saying this over and over...

One day, just one day, maybe and hopefully soon, anyone who thinks badly of Eccleston and his non-involvement in the 50th will feel very, very bad for venting publicly on forums like this.

Lay off the man. He's made more positive moves in the last year than you know about and he doesn't deserve people pooping on him constantly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why the vitriol aimed at Chris Eccleston?
    He's a working actor. His choice of roles to take or decline is his business and his alone.
    We were very lucky to have him for one series.
    He was superb in the role and gave the show the kind of restart it needed.
    Yes, we're disappointed that apparently he's declined an appearance in the special but "Disrespectful"? Really?
    I would suggest that the original post was "Disrespectful"...
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much as I dislike the Ninth Doctor, I agree with all the above comments. It seems any negativity is aimed at the production team and not the show itself.

Also think the OP'S assertion that Hartnell was dying during filming of The Three Doctors is slightly inaccurate. He was very ill at this point and that illness did ultimately lead to his death but that was over two years away.
    It has been stated often he was too ill to take a full part in the story, not that he was on his last legs at this point.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any disrespect in this case tends to work the other way - i.e be directed at Ecccleston by the fans. The OP is riddled with factual inaccuracies and conjecture, but the cherry on the cake is the pure BS about how other people who have played the role must hate him, presumably including Tom Baker who also decided against returning to the show at one point in his career when invited. Utter nonsense.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hot Dogg wrote: »
    Why the vitriol aimed at Chris Eccleston?
    He's a working actor. His choice of roles to take or decline is his business and his alone.
    We were very lucky to have him for one series.
    He was superb in the role and gave the show the kind of restart it needed.
    Yes, we're disappointed that apparently he's declined an appearance in the special but "Disrespectful"? Really?
    I would suggest that the original post was "Disrespectful"...
    I think it is probably because Eccleston never came across as loving having the Doctor role, evidenced by him leaving after just one series. That's not to take away his acting ability or his right to make his own personal choices. All other the actors (I don't know about Hartnell) seemed to have revelled in having such a prestigious high profile lead TV part, loved by both kids and adults.The impression I get with Eccleston is that it was just another acting job and that is why some fans are not endeared with him.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It saddens me that he's so negative about his time on DW, because he was truly fantastic.

Whilst I understand totally that he had his reasons for leaving (mainly being that the on set atmosphere was apparently horrible) I think it's wrong of him not to do the 50th. Old William Hartnell was DYING but he made the effort to return for the 10th anniversary. Chris is, as far as we know healthy, yet he can't bring himself to put in a few hours for the 50th.

It's not a good attitude for a former doctor to have, regardless of the reasons behind it. I don't want to dislike him, but I'm afraid I now do. Someone should have reminded him of Hartnell.

I totally get that he (rightfully) disliked the way things were run behind the scenes. I totally get that he doesn't want to be typecast (well, I don't know what he was expecting when he took on the role.) And I totally understand his apparent reasons for not wanting to come back. But he should have swept all of that under the bridge for such a special occasion. That's my own feeling anyway.

I bet David Tennant and Matt Smith dislike his attitude very much and I can imagine that some very bitter words have been exchanged about him by all of the surviving doctors.

No, you clearly don't.

You have no idea what his reasons are for not appearing (if indeed he isn't), and you have no idea if DT and MS dislike CE. What a ridiculous post.

Another day, another dopey post about CE.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Save this until this time next week, then have your say....or maybe start eating that large slice of humble pie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I still think ecclestone will be in it somehow. I do hope so. we have to remember that he was the doctor when it came back after all this time so a lot of the credit should go to him for his portrayal of our hero
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think ecclestone will be in it somehow. I do hope so. we have to remember that he was the doctor when it came back after all this time so a lot of the credit should go to him for his portrayal of our hero

No way will Ecclestone be in it, but there's always a chance that Eccleston might be. Just like Peter Davison is a possibility but there's no chance of Peter Davidson appearing...

Is it so hard to spell names correctly?