Favourite Stephen King books

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Full Dark No Stars, The Dark Half and Just After Sunset would probably be my favorites.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked Needful things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Studmuffin wrote: »
    I watched a documentary years ago about The Shining where they explained that most of the book's contents were metaphors. I didn't know or get any of it (still don't) and feel quite stupid. I loved the story as I read it (at face value).

I can really relate to this ;). Sometimes face value is just as good as going into meanings and metaphors.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    grazman wrote: »
    Yes, its a great read. If you liked the film then the book adds alot more background to the characters, and the book is quite a bit different to the movie, specially the ending..

Can't believe it but I've never seen the film. Maybe I should watch it first as usually the book ends up being better than the film, so I should save the best for last
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Salems Lot for me! I've read it so many times. I must say I prefer his older works to the newer stuff. I couldn't get into Duma Key or The Dome, for some reason. Needful Things is another good one. As is Night Shift, Misery, Pet Cemetery and The Shining.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Stand. Of his most recent work (which is inferior to his old stuff), Duma Key is the best.
  • mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
    Forum Member
    Top 7:-

Needful Things
    Green Mile
    Christine
    Misery
    Carrie
    The Shining
    Dolores Claiborne
  • onelegpegonelegpeg Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my fave one is called THINNER..under the name of Richard Bachman ALIAS Stephen king.
    fantastic book.

^^
    Agreed - excellent book.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    The Shining is my favourite by far. The scene with Jack in the bathroom of the hotel room was brilliantly written and so scary.

Also loved Misery and IT, but yeah, The Shining for me.
  • LeightonismeLeightonisme Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    Cell, just has to be~
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    onelegpeg wrote: »
    ^^
    Agreed - excellent book.
    Another vote for Thinner.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my teens I absolutely adored the old school trio of The Shining, Misery and Salems Lot. I always meant to read them again but here I am in my 30's and I still havent got round to it.

That will change when I get my Kindle in the next few days.
  • Yog101Yog101 Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just finished reading Wolves of the Calla, which I enjoyed a lot but...
    I do wish I had read 'Salems Lot' first :o

Hadn't realised how much WotC basically spoilered Salems Lot.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I FINISHED THE STAND!!!!!

Proper celebrations here.

I have no idea how so many of you have read it more than once... I think I'd die.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Cell, just has to be~

Still a good book but by Stephen King standards pretty weak.... and i dont get the end
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still a good book but by Stephen King standards pretty weak.... and i dont get the end

It was one of his open endings a la "The Mist". Basically..And please don't tell me off if this isnt the bit you meant and its another bit you don't get :D
    He wasnt sure if he had the cure. So he is waiting to see if his son wakes up as human or zombie. And we will be forever waiting as well because SK left it at that!

At least with the Mist the movie gave us an ending because the book ending would have had cinema goers screaming at the screen!
  • grazmangrazman Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just finished Dark Tower 1: The Gunslinger and to be honest I didn't think it was that good, however, lots of fans say it vastly improves over the next 6 so still looking forward to them. Maybe it needs a reread as a lot of it went over my head, but I wouldn't recommend The Gunslinger to someone just starting out on Stephen King, very confusing on first read.

12 novels in and my favourites so far have been The Stand, The Dead Zone and The Shining. Definitely up to now, The Stand is my favourite of all his works. Very much looking forward to IT!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grazman wrote: »
    I just finished Dark Tower 1: The Gunslinger and to be honest I didn't think it was that good, however, lots of fans say it vastly improves over the next 6 so still looking forward to them. Maybe it needs a reread as a lot of it went over my head, but I wouldn't recommend The Gunslinger to someone just starting out on Stephen King, very confusing on first read.

12 novels in and my favourites so far have been The Stand, The Dead Zone and The Shining. Definitely up to now, The Stand is my favourite of all his works. Very much looking forward to IT!

The Gunslinger does not always give the impression that you should read the rest. I nearly didnt. Thank God I ignored my initial thought. I devoured the others with gleeful devotion. Book 2 is much better and it only goes up in standard from there :)
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJames99 wrote: »
    Full Dark No Stars, The Dark Half and Just After Sunset would probably be my favorites.

I've just started reading this :)
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Cell is just a modern version of The Stand, only not as well written, and alittle laboured.
  • Yog101Yog101 Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    The Gunslinger does not always give the impression that you should read the rest. I nearly didnt. Thank God I ignored my initial thought. I devoured the others with gleeful devotion. Book 2 is much better and it only goes up in standard from there :)

Yeah I agree with this. I wasn't overly keen on The Gunslinger, and only read the 2nd book because I didn't have much else to read. So glad I did as the Dark Tower series is quite possibly now my most favourite book series.
  • Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprised nobody's mentioned Gerald's Game, my personal favourite. Also Pet Semetary, Misery, and Cujo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cell, just has to be~

I've yet to read that, I have it along with under the dome and the JFK one. The last Stephen King book i read was Duma Key I didn't finish it, I really struggled to get into it for some reason :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    Surprised nobody's mentioned Gerald's Game, my personal favourite. Also Pet Semetary, Misery, and Cujo.

Gerald's Game that is one of those books that stays with you for a long time.

Whilst reading it I spent most of my time thinking what I would try and do if ever in that situation.
  • grazmangrazman Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »

I've just recently read Cujo and was a good read but I wouldn't say it was one of his best. Could have trimmed the fat off abit as I thought he rambled on too much about the 2 guys who were doing the marketing campaign - I do like a bit of fleshing out of the characters but I thought he overdid it on this novel. Still good read tho. I haven't read the other 2 yet but looking forward to Misery.