Cinematographer Gilbert Taylor RIP

Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
Forum Member
His name may not be well known but his work certainly is. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23808854

Comments

• yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to admit I had not heard of this gentleman before but I have certainly have heard of some of the great films he worked on. What a fantastic career he had and what a sad loss!

RIP
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know he was involved in many great movies, but, his contribution to Star Wars is immeasureable. he made that film look amazing. Shame he wasn't involved in ROTJ. That film looks awful compared to the first two. The set ups look tired and everythings muddy.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    RIP. He worked with some many acclaimed directors - Kubrick, Hitchcock and (ahem)Lucas.

I especially like the grim feel he gave to Hitchcock's "Frenzy". It really helped set the tone of that film.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    A great loss indeed, and what a tremendous volume of work.
    stripedcat wrote: »
    I especially like the grim feel he gave to Hitchcock's "Frenzy". It really helped set the tone of that film.
    Absolutely. Though still with Hitchcock's stageyness very much present, here it curdled into something darker, nastier - much like the film itself. Great stuff.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    Always loved the stories of him arguing with George Lucas.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would offer my condolences to Gilbert Taylor's family and
    friends. May he rest in peace.