Royal Prank caller DJ to sue radio station...

i4ui4u Posts: 54,804
Forum Member
Mel Greig the female half of the dimwits who attempted to speak to a patient who lay ill in hospital, is set to sue the radio station.
EMBATTLED radio host Mel Greig is accusing employer Southern Cross Austereo of failing to provide a safe workplace over her involvement in the ill-fated royal radio prank.

Adelaide-born DJ Greig has filed a claim with the Fair Work Commission.

Fellow prankster Michael Christian returned to air in February, and was recently awarded "top jock" by the radio station.

Comments

• zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the stupid bitch should have thought about the consequences before she thought she was being clever by putting a member of staff at risk of losing her job. She's now suddenly decided that she didn't like the consequences and is deciding to make money from it. I think those tears she shedded were completely fake. Either that, or she was petrified of what consequences she might have to face at the time of making that 'apology'. I hope she loses. I hope she's not hounded over what happened, but I do hope she loses her case though.

Edit: At least he hasn't decided to do something as arrogant as this.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the producers, and legal department, could have thought about the consequences before opening up their staff to trial by media and even death threats via social media.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Maybe the stupid bitch should have thought about the consequences before she thought she was being clever by putting a member of staff at risk of losing her job. She's now suddenly decided that she didn't like the consequences and is deciding to make money from it. I think those tears she shedded were completely fake. Either that, or she was petrified of what consequences she might have to face at the time of making that 'apology'. I hope she loses. I hope she's not hounded over what happened, but I do hope she loses her case though.

Wow. Talk about missing the point. 10/10 for that. And calling her a stupid bitch on top of it. :rolleyes:

She has every right to expect her employers to support her, in the same way they did Christian.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this goes to open court it will be interesting to see who exactly had the idea, made the decision to make the call and made the decision to broadcast the call.

Following Jacintha Saldanha's death both MC and Mel have been figureheads of hate (see second post of thread for just one example) so it'll be interesting to know if this was misplaced.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You keep misusing that word "consequences" as if death threats are a valid response to a prank which went too far. Disgusting attitude.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Between the guy DJ getting an award and now this I'm starting to think these two really are vile and deserve all the abuse they get. How utterly horrid they come across.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they still going on about this? Dont people have a sense of humour these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dont people have a sense of humour these days.

Admittedly I have always had a huge problem with the concept of pranking in general, but the DJ's prank was particularly stupid and irresponsible. Not because of the suicide - to be fair to them, not one person on the planet could have reasonably thought there would be such an extreme outcome to their call - but because trying to access private information about a hospital patient is just ludicrously immature, dumb, and potentially damaging.

Before this and the male DJ accepting an award, I thought the abuse they got was ridiculous and unjustified even when considering my own feelings towards pranking, but now I think they are bringing it on themselves and are coming across as stupid and awful people.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    You keep misusing that word "consequences" as if death threats are a valid response to a prank which went too far. Disgusting attitude.

Thank you for saying this. I still have no idea why this story really set off a few people around here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    I still have no idea why this story really set off a few people around here.

For me, it was the immaturity and ignorance of the prank. Trying to access information about a patient you have no right to is pretty low and brainless.
    Forum Member
    For me, it was the immaturity and ignorance of the prank. Trying to access information about a patient you have no right to is pretty low and brainless.

Huh? Like they were going to get any info anyway.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Such a vicious post and completely uncalled for. If your going to post a nasty rant like this in future then at least try and not so obviously contradict yourself as you've done in the bib.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's the principal of trying to prank a hospital, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So this woman is actually trying to make money from the death of Jacintha Saldanha, which she helped cause?

Classy.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Even if they did it wasn't Jacinta Saldanha who gave it to them.

Given they supported her colleague she's within her rights to expect the same level of support.
    Forum Member
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    So this woman is actually trying to make money from the death of Jacintha Saldanha, which she helped cause?

Classy.

How exactly does one do that on the other side of the world?
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Jacinta Salandar also have the right to a safe working environment....The prank phone call which was broadcast around the world, violated that and her privacy, let alone that privacy of the Duchess...
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaybee15 wrote: »

Classy.

'I hold radio DJs responsible, make them pay for my mortgage': The suicide note left by nurse who hanged herself over Kate Middleton hospital prank call

..She even said they should pay the mortgage for the Bristol home where her accountant husband Benedict Barboza, 49, and children Junal, 17, and Lisha, 14, still live.

As you say, classy. Or just extortion?

Between the guy DJ getting an award and now this I'm starting to think these two really are vile and deserve all the abuse they get. [ How utterly horrid they come across.

Saying that people deserve death threats, now that is pretty low and brainless, probably horrid too.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »

Although I thought that was awful, placing that degree of guilt on 2 people already hung, drawn and quartered for the part they played in all this, I wouldn't say extortion, more the actions of an unstable woman who didn't want to live (let's not forget her previous failed suicide bids) and unfortunately allowed this incident to somehow 'justify' her taking her own life.

Mel Grieg in particular has borne the brunt of this and I hope she gets a satisfactory outcome from her case against the radio station.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Saying that people deserve death threats, now that is pretty low and brainless, probably horrid too.

Oh, quite. I wish I could edit my post because I didn't really mean to take my reaction that far. I do think any grief they get at this point they have brought on themselves. I felt sympathy until one of them won an award but now I just don't care if people get upset at them again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No money should be paid out for this either way. The nurse is dead. If any money comes from this 'oh so funny' prank it should go to the nurses family, not the prank caller. She's a disgrace.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How exactly does one do that on the other side of the world?

By publicly humiliating her in front of millions of people, giving no regard to how she may react. By giving no consideration to how her employment may be affected by their 'joke'.The DJs obviously did not intend for Jacinda to take her own life, nor could even foresee it, but surely must have realised that such a prank could cause deep embarrassment for her and possible disciplinary measures at work?
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, quite. I wish I could edit my post because I didn't really mean to take my reaction that far. I do think any grief they get at this point they have brought on themselves. I felt sympathy until one of them won an award but now I just don't care if people get upset at them again.
    Why should Michael Christian's award affect what you think of Mel Grieg who is, after all, the one who has kept a low profile? Utterly illogical.:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The balance of the woman's mind was disturbed - it generally is when people commit suicide. It comes across as crass, yes, but I seriously doubt she killed herself just to get the two DJ's to pay off her house. The same article you linked to also states that the radio station is donating/has donated £350'000 to her family, so any money Mel Greig makes out of this classless lawsuit is unlikely to go to Jacinda's family, or indeed mortgage company. Greig is a grown woman, with the ability to make her own decisions. Suing her employers on the basis of 'well, you let me do it!' sounds like something a five-year-old would come up with.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How have the two been treated so differently? The male DJ returned to his job, and the female DJ was 'let go' :confused:

Was she blamed more than him?