Problem with my Panasonic DMR - ES10 DVD Recorder

Hi

I have a problem with my Panasonic DMR - ES10 DVD Recorder. I have connected it to my TV and SKY+ Box as I would like to record stuff off my planner to a DVD.

I have connected it like so:

TV

AV1 ---- TV Scart (SKY+ Box)
AV2 ---- AV 1 (TV) (DVD Recorder)

SKY+ Box

VCR Scart ---- AV2 (EXT) (DVD Recorder)
TV Scart ---- AV1 (Main TV)

DVD Recorder

AV1 (TV) ---- AV2 (Main TV)
AV2 (EXT) ---- VCR Scart (SKY+ Box)

(Can someone check these to see if they are correct)

The problems are:

- When I press record or Pause using the DVD Remote control no box comes up in the top right hand screen with an icon corresponding to the button I have pressed comes up (It used to.) It happens when I press the other blue buttons such as Skip, Slow/Search or Play.

- When I press stop on the DVD Remote control no graphic with a progress bar appears on the screen saying "Writing to disc"

These used to come up before? What's changed? Its nothing to do with the connections as I have checked those with the book and did a few test records which were successful.

Please help as if I have no notification I don't know what I am doing plus the one about Writing to disc is very important as I need to know that its worked.

Craig

Comments

• titcaptaintitcaptain Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    Not sure about the main problem but you want to change those scart connections.

The VCR scart from the Sky box does not output the superior RGB signal for best quality .

So take the tv scart from the sky box to the INPUT on the dvdr , then the output of the dvdr up to the tv.

This daisy chain ensures you can record and view in RGB .

Make sure the input setting on the dvdr is set to RGB and the output should be too.

Make sure the Sky box is set to output RGB and not PAL.

You never know - altering the connections might correct the other problem too as the onscreen graphics are likely only output via one scart and you might be incorrectly connected
  • papadontpreachpapadontpreach Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    Have you changed discs, maybe now using a Ram instead of a dvd-+r as Rams act the same way as a hard drive and dont need to write info after the event, could be a settings issue, just go to the menu and reset everything, on a panny its called shipping condition, good luck.
  • cmorriscmorris Posts: 6,157
    Forum Member
    On the back of the Sky + box we have

1. VCR Scart (Top)
    2. TV Scart (Bottom)

On the back of the DVD Reorder I have

1. AV1 (TV)
    2. AV2 (Ext)

Can you tell me from here what needs connecting

I will not touch the TV Scart to TV as that is working perfectly. I have actually recorded using this method and it worked.

So I also need to set both the Sky + ad DVD to RGB?
    Forum Member
    The problem is that because I have my TV Scart on my SKY+ Box connected to the AV1 on my TV, I can turn the TV to display analogue and then Sky+ to display digital but if I change the configuration won't I then have to turn the VD on and then the Sky+ Box on to watch the Sky+?
    Forum Member
    so I will take the

TV Scart (SKY+) ---- AV1 (Tv) (DVD Recorder)
    AV2 (EXT) (DVD --- AV2 (Main TV)

I will then have to move the AV1 (Main TV) to VCR ScRT (SKY+) which when I did that stopped the fuctionality of the DVD Reorder.
    Forum Member
    SKY is set to RGB
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cmorris wrote: »
    The problem is that because I have my TV Scart on my SKY+ Box connected to the AV1 on my TV, I can turn the TV to display analogue and then Sky+ to display digital but if I change the configuration won't I then have to turn the VD on and then the Sky+ Box on to watch the Sky+?
    Sky will pass through the DVDR okay (leave it in standby).
    Forum Member
    WORKS. I have the correct inputs
    Forum Member
    It works with the correct inputs as it dispays the correct messages, the problem is that when I press the Functions button on the DVD remote it goes into the menu but its not in colour its in Black and White.

Is this the conections problem again as this is how its set up now

TV
    AV1 ---- TV Scart (SKY+ Box)
    AV2 ---- AV 2 (EXT) (DVD Recorder)

SKY+ Box
    VCR Scart ---- AV1 (TV) (DVD Recorder)
    TV Scart ---- AV1 (Main TV)

DVD Recorder
    AV1 (TV) ---- VCR Scart (SKY+ Box)
    AV2 (EXT) ---- AV2 (Main TV)

Can someone help me. Recording is fine no problems with that
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    Sky will pass through the DVDR okay (leave it in standby).

Look at my above post, I have made a few changes, the main problem was the on screen menus but since the change they have come back but I am still getting black and white when I press the Function button on the remote and iusing the on screen menu.

It goes back to colour when I exit the menu on the DVD Recorder.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look at my above post, I have made a few changes, the main problem was the on screen menus but since the change they have come back but I am still getting black and white when I press the Function button on the remote and iusing the on screen menu.

It goes back to colour when I exit the menu on the DVD Recorder.
    Probably you need to alter the output settings on the DVDR, make sure these are set to RGB. When you press the menu button you are using the output from the DVDR rather than feeding Sky through, presumably you get the same problem when you play a DVD?

EDIT: I've just read your post about you setup, I'll come back again shortly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just checked and your DVDR has RGB in and out so you should set it up as follows.

Sky+ TV SCART ----> DVDR AV2 SCART
    DVDR AV1 SCART ---> TV AV1 SCART (RGB)

Make sure everything is set to RGB. This will give the best recording and playback quality, try this and come back if you have any problems with it.
    Forum Member
    How do I change my DVDR to RGB rather than PAL?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do I change my DVDR to RGB rather than PAL?
    Assuming it's similar to my Panny DVDR then go under

Setup\Connections\AV1 output and AV2 Settings.
    Forum Member
    So nothing needed to be plugged into AV2?. It works perfectly now.. When I get a Blu Ray should I plug that into AV2?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So nothing needed to be plugged into AV2?. It works perfectly now.. When I get a Blu Ray should I plug that into AV2?
    The Sky TV SCART should go into DVDR AV2 (see my post above).

If you plug AV1 into the Sky VCR SCART (as I suspect you've done) then it will work okay but it will not record in RGB so you will have much lower picture quality - playback will be fine. In this mode you don't need to connect anything to AV2.

When you get Blu-ray you should use HDMI straight to the TV or via an amp (that I doubt you have).
    Forum Member
    I have connected it exactly like this

Therefore I should recieve a good recording signal from SKY+
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm sure that's how I connected up my Sky+ to my ES10 recorder and it allowed the best quality (RGB) from Sky+ to be recorded to DVD.

All was fine until my ES10 packed up after recording litterally a dozen or so DVDs and played back probably 30 to 40 discs over it's little used 18 month life. It was a real dud one that....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's right, just make sure the Sky and DVDR are set to RGB and that's the best you can do.
    Forum Member
    Are Blu Ray players backwards compatible meaning can they play normal DVD's?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are Blu Ray players backwards compatible meaning can they play normal DVD's?

Yes. (I have to put some extra junk here as the forum won't let me post a short message).
    Forum Member
    I was wondering that as my friend said No
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering that as my friend said No
    I'm sure it is entirely possible to design a Blu-Ray player than cannot play DVDs or CDs. But I have yet to come across one. It would be rather stupid of the likes of Sony or Panasonic to make a bit of kit that was so restricted.:)

Are you sure your friend wasn't talking about the other way round, ie playing a Blu-Ray disk on a DVD player which most definitely will not work.

But I play Blu Ray, DVD and audio CD disks perfectly happily on my Sony BDP S350
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be commercial suicide to make a blu ray player NOT play DVD's... no sensible manufacturer would be so daft to exclude such an important feature.
    Forum Member
    I am connecting my SKY+HD Box up to my DVD Recorder now and its set as follows

SKY+HD Scart to AV2 (EXT) (DVD R)
    AV1 (TV) (DVDR) to AV1 TV

I have set the SKY+HD and DVD to read RGB but no picture