Foolproof way to 'root' my Android phone

pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
Forum Member
The inverted commas should convey that I'm not experienced in such matters, so please keep it simple. I have already scoured the net for a guide and am all a tad confused.

I want to get rid of some of the bloatware on my phone and there are ways of doing it using an app called Titanium Backup, but to use it, i have to root my phone. I know what rooting is, but i would like someone to suggest the simplest way possible. Any takers?

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would help to know what phone you have :)
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    pfgpowell wrote: »
    The inverted commas should convey that I'm not experienced in such matters, so please keep it simple. I have already scoured the net for a guide and am all a tad confused.
    As far as I know there is no way to just "do this" for the totally general case. I tend to look up the particular phone in Google (typing something like "<phone name> root" ) - this often leads to a phone specific section (how to root, alternative firmware etc.) on somewhere like www.modaco.com
  • m4tt24m4tt24 Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read any tutorials you can find and watch any YouTube tutorials you can find.

Repeat the above until you feel confident enough to do it. After posting this in the wrong section I would read everything one further time after feeling confident.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best way to get rid of bloatware, branding and other junk is to flash a custom ROM.

Titanium Pro is OK but it does struggle with bloatware. The recommendation is to freeze the apps rather then de-install.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Cant advise you until you tell us what phone you want to root. As there is no "one size fits all" method.

You can use Titanium backup pro, to freeze the bloatware apps, however I would recommend that you flash a rom instead. You just need to find a rom that will run on your phone. If you havent yet, I would pop over to the xda-devlopers forum. Plenty of help there, and their forum is split into each device type. You find the section for your phone, and read the development section within your phone forum.

You also need to bear in mind, that whilst rooting is (if you follow the instructions exactly) safe, there is a 0.01% chance that you will end up with a bricked phone.
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    It would help to know what phone you have :)

It's a Huawei G300 Ascend running Android 4.0.3
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a Huawei G300 Ascend running Android 4.0.3

This seems to be fairly straightforward ..

http://www.modaco.com/topic/353386-how-to-root-your-huawei-ascend-g300-for-windows-mac-and-linux/
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member

Before you click the bat file in windows (or the relevant step in linux or mac), make sure you plus the USB cable back into the phone. Those steps dont mention that bit.
    Forum Member
    ACU wrote: »
    Before you click the bat file in windows (or the relevant step in linux or mac), make sure you plus the USB cable back into the phone. Those steps dont mention that bit.

Followed the link and tried rooting last night. Downloaded Superrecovery etc, but I dont' know how to run it 'within the directory (I'm using a Mac). I open the terminal window, type in the instructions but then **** all. Any help?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Followed the link and tried rooting last night. Downloaded Superrecovery etc, but I dont' know how to run it 'within the directory (I'm using a Mac). I open the terminal window, type in the instructions but then **** all. Any help?

ok, have you connected your phone to your mac ?

and have you put it into bootloader mode ?
    Forum Member
    ok, have you connected your phone to your mac ?

and have you put it into bootloader mode ?

Yes, did all that. My problem is that I am using a Mac. You open terminal in which you can give Unix instructions but according to Modaco I am supposed to do so from 'in the directory'. I don't understand that. Also, we are told [do this] then [do that] but it is not clear whether we should wait to do give the second command or what. But to answer you qestion, yest the phone is USBed to the Mac and yes it was in bootloader mode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    by "in the directory" it just means that you do it in the same location/folder that you've unzipped/unpacked the files that you downloaded to.

so when you open the terminal, just CD to the relevant folder and try it from there