Infinity up time

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With my old ISP and modem/router I could see how long the line had held up since the last disconnect.

Does anyone know how I achieve that with a Home Hub 3?

I have looked around the router settings page but can't seem to see anything.

Comments

• d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    Settings > Advanced Settings > Broadband.

Mine's currently 119 days, nice and stable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dave, I have an open technical support chat window and the guy has been trying to help me for half an hour lol. You just did his job for him. They are next to useless.
    Forum Member
    Thanks Dave, I have an open technical support chat window and the guy has been trying to help me for half an hour lol. You just did his job for him. They are next to useless.

I hope you told him my bill's already in the post. :D
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To see how long the connection has been established you need to flash the modem with the original firmware that allows access to the web interface.

In the home hub that only tells you how long the router has been up since a reboot and not how long the connection has been alive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sack wrote: »
    To see how long the connection has been established you need to flash the modem with the original firmware that allows access to the web interface.

In the home hub that only tells you how long the router has been up since a reboot and not how long the connection has been alive.

Keh??? Wouldn't the HH only reboot when the connection went down :confused:
    Forum Member
    My apologies, I wasn't thinking, The Sack is right. What I said only tells you about the router's uptime. To see your internet connection uptime and connection speeds, you need to access the white Openreach modem, which can be done only if you "flash" the modem firmware with new code, i.e. replace it with modified code, following the instructions carefully. BT won't have been able to help you because it's an unofficial unapproved "at your own risk" firmware modification in the modem, not the router..

I did this last April and it works fine for me, my uptime is what I said but that's because I had a power cut a few months ago that rebooted the modem and router at the same time. Interestingly, I've just had a look and my current line rate (77,340 kbps) is higher than my attainable rate (75,052 kbps) and that's the opposite way round to what I saw last year.

If you have the Huawei HG612 EchoLife VDSL2 modem (look underneath it), the link is: http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/about/ and that blog links to the detailed instructions. It's complicated but the instructions are very detailed and for the most part, very clear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to both of you.

I'll think about doing that if its the only way to achieve what I'm trying to achieve.

I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue with the PC and it would be helpful to know if my line disconnected and possibly when.

With my other router pre Infinity it would show how long it had been up. For example, if the line went down for an hour (outside of my house) and I had no internet. When it was back up the router would start again and say that it was connected that day. It might be like that for a month but with the old ISP I'd get offed and it would reset itself again.

What I'm not quite understanding from what you guys are saying is what the difference is between the Home Hub uptime and the connection uptime. If the connection goes down and then back. Doesn't the Home Hub reset itself anyway.

I'm not sure as on ADSL I had a single unit (modem/router) but with Infinity as you say, I have a modem plus the Home Hub.
    Forum Member
    Well the best way to find out is to try it, so I have just rebooted my openreach modem (and left the homehub 3 router alone).

The router also re-set its internet connection time to zero, but that doesn't tel me if the same thing would happen if the internet went down due to a fault at the cabinet or exchange, but the modem remained powered up. You could try unplugging only the internet lead at the master socket, I guess, to see what happens to the homehub 3 router's uptime?
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keh??? Wouldn't the HH only reboot when the connection went down :confused:

No mate they are independent of each other.

That said if you reboot them both together then what d'@ve said will serve as a good guide cos the chances are they will both just remain up for ever and ever amen. Fibre is so much more reliable than ADSL or ADSL2+.