Is Kylie the only act to have had a top 5 hit in the last 4 decades?

123457»

Comments

• zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^why doesn't some kind pop star invite Cliff to play the triangle on something they KNOW is going to be a smash so Cliff can get his hit for the 10s ?
  • Nebworth90Nebworth90 Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to see whether Madonna can match Kylie and reach top 5 with 'Living For Love' ... I hope she does!
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it. But why do people still care about chart positions anyway? Just be glad both artists are still making music so far into their career.
  • Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nebworth90 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see whether Madonna can match Kylie and reach top 5 with 'Living For Love' ... I hope she does!

I'm not so sure she will with Living 4 Love but Ghosttown is going to be the second single and I think that stands a chance of being huge.
  • BeatsDuJourBeatsDuJour Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    People have raised some good points in this thread. I agree with the person claiming that Kylie's roots in PWL was the reason respect was a long time coming for her. I also think it’s true that some people are annoyed because Kylie has carved a successful and lasting career for herself and didn’t go the same way as Tiffany, Debbie Gibson and Paula Abdul. Sure, Kylie hasn’t sold as many records as Madonna or Britney Spears nor do her tours gross as much as theirs, but she has her own career which has lasted 28 years, an incredible and rare feat in the pop world. I always laugh at the people who try their hardest to belittle her and her career as the Princess of Pop. Say what you want, say it as often as you like, but it won’t erase the last four decades. She's a pop icon.

Kylie is the highest selling Australian artist of all time. She is also the most played female artist on UK radio over the last 20 years. She has accumulated 34 top 10 hits, including seven #1's, and 11 further top 20 hits. She was actually the first artist to have her first 11 singles all enter the top five on the UK singles chart. She has sold over 10 million singles in the UK placing her third behind Rihanna and Madonna. Especially for You is the second highest selling single of the 1980s in the UK by a female artist having sold over a million copies. Only Jennifer Rush is above her. Can’t Get You Out of My Head has also sold over a million copies making it one of the most successful singles of last decade.

She has accumulated 15 top 10 albums, including five #1's, and three further top 20 entries. She was the first female artist to have a #1 album and a top three hit single in the 80s, 90s, 00s and the 10s. She has sold an estimated ten million albums in the UK alone making her one of the highest selling female artists of all time. Her 1988 debut album made her the first female solo artist to have an album exceed sales of two million in the UK. The album is still the 58th best-selling album of all time. Fever is the 43rd biggest selling album of last decade. She has sold an estimated 78 million records worldwide, but that figure hasn’t been updated for ten years now. They must be over 90 million now. I know T4 claimed she had sold 100 million, but I don’t know if that’s 100%. I admire the way she turned her career around in 2000. She is now one of the most successful touring acts in Europe and Australia. The X2008 Tour grossed over $96m worldwide, and the Aphrodite Tour grossed over $60m worldwide, placing 21st on Pollstar's Top 50 Worldwide Tours.

.Kiss Me Once is Kylie’s first studio album since 1997 not to reach at least platinum status in the UK. That’s very impressive. I doubt it’s the end of her career. After all, people said Let’s Get to It and Impossible Princess were the end for her. A lot of people call Body Language and X flops because they “only” peaked at #6 and #4, but BL has sold over 300,000 copies in the UK and X has sold over 460,000 copies. Flops? Hardly. They also yielded six top 10 hits, including at #1, between them. The success of Kylie’s albums has always been somewhat patchy outside of the UK and Australia. She has had big hits like her debut album, Enjoy Yourself and Fever but her albums average between 1-3 million copies worldwide. There are three that haven’t surpassed a million copies – Let’s Get to It, Impossible Princess and Kiss Me Once.

Not so bad for a “flop” career.
  • BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,715
    Forum Member
    People have raised some good points in this thread. I agree with the person claiming that Kylie's roots in PWL was the reason respect was a long time coming for her. I also think it’s true that some people are annoyed because Kylie has carved a successful and lasting career for herself and didn’t go the same way as Tiffany, Debbie Gibson and Paula Abdul. Sure, Kylie hasn’t sold as many records as Madonna or Britney Spears nor do her tours gross as much as theirs, but she has her own career which has lasted 28 years, an incredible and rare feat in the pop world. I always laugh at the people who try their hardest to belittle her and her career as the Princess of Pop. Say what you want, say it as often as you like, but it won’t erase the last four decades. She's a pop icon.

Kylie is the highest selling Australian artist of all time. She is also the most played female artist on UK radio over the last 20 years. She has accumulated 34 top 10 hits, including seven #1's, and 11 further top 20 hits. She was actually the first artist to have her first 11 singles all enter the top five on the UK singles chart. She has sold over 10 million singles in the UK placing her third behind Rihanna and Madonna. Especially for You is the second highest selling single of the 1980s in the UK by a female artist having sold over a million copies. Only Jennifer Rush is above her. Can’t Get You Out of My Head has also sold over a million copies making it one of the most successful singles of last decade.

She has accumulated 15 top 10 albums, including five #1's, and three further top 20 entries. She was the first female artist to have a #1 album and a top three hit single in the 80s, 90s, 00s and the 10s. She has sold an estimated ten million albums in the UK alone making her one of the highest selling female artists of all time. Her 1988 debut album made her the first female solo artist to have an album exceed sales of two million in the UK. The album is still the 58th best-selling album of all time. Fever is the 43rd biggest selling album of last decade. She has sold an estimated 78 million records worldwide, but that figure hasn’t been updated for ten years now. They must be over 90 million now. I know T4 claimed she had sold 100 million, but I don’t know if that’s 100%. I admire the way she turned her career around in 2000. She is now one of the most successful touring acts in Europe and Australia. The X2008 Tour grossed over $96m worldwide, and the Aphrodite Tour grossed over $60m worldwide, placing 21st on Pollstar's Top 50 Worldwide Tours.

.Kiss Me Once is Kylie’s first studio album since 1997 not to reach at least platinum status in the UK. That’s very impressive. I doubt it’s the end of her career. After all, people said Let’s Get to It and Impossible Princess were the end for her. A lot of people call Body Language and X flops because they “only” peaked at #6 and #4, but BL has sold over 300,000 copies in the UK and X has sold over 460,000 copies. Flops? Hardly. They also yielded six top 10 hits, including at #1, between them. The success of Kylie’s albums has always been somewhat patchy outside of the UK and Australia. She has had big hits like her debut album, Enjoy Yourself and Fever but her albums average between 1-3 million copies worldwide. There are three that haven’t surpassed a million copies – Let’s Get to It, Impossible Princess and Kiss Me Once.

Not so bad for a “flop” career.

Great post, well done.
    Where I think Kylie will never again have another no1 single, neither will Madonna. Times have changed. Kylie's success is in her touring now and they are AMAZING. The night Gaga's BTW tour kicked off, she tweeted Kylie saying if it wasn't for Aphrodite, she would never have had the inspiration for the BTW Ball. I have seen Madonna, Gaga, Britney and Rhianna perform and Kylie is better than all of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone is suggesting Kylie has ever had a flop career. They would be foolish to do so. I think the constant need however to imply in every thread about Madonna that Kylie has sold more in the UK is now wearing thin and it has become deeply repetitive.

Madonna and Kylie are at totally different stages of their careers though because Madonna is 10 years older. When Madonna was 46 she had the biggest hit of her career with Hung Up which has sold almost 10 million copies. At 46 Kylie's Into The Blue only sold 30k.

If comparisons are to be made then do it at the points they should be. Because as it stands Madonna had Confessions at 46 and Kylie had Kiss Me Once at 46.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    I am sure Elton will get one at some point

What makes you think that. Elton hadn't had a hit song in over a decade. Don't think he'll be getting another one any time soon.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Iron Maiden would have made this list if they hadn't made their lead single 'El Dorado' from their 2010/latest album 'Final Frontier' free to download.

80's.

Can I Play with Madness #3
    The Evil That Men Do #5

90's.

Holy Smoke #3
    Bring Your Daughter....To The Slaughter #1
    Be Quick or Be Dead #2

00's

The Number of the Beast (live) #3
    The Trooper (live) #5
    Different World #3
  • JakeXYJakeXY Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    I can't believe this thread is seven pages long. All that was needed was a simple "yes", lol.
  • Nebworth90Nebworth90 Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has Paul McCartney matched her now with fourfiveseconds?? Or has he had a top 5 the last 3 decades too?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nebworth90 wrote: »
    Has Paul McCartney matched her now with fourfiveseconds?? Or has he had a top 5 the last 3 decades too?

Would he have had a top 10 hit in the 2000s?

If so does that mean he has had a top 10 every decade since the 60s? that's incredible and equally as amazing. Given music as it now is owes a lot to The Beatles that's rather fitting!
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would he have had a top 10 hit in the 2000s?

If so does that mean he has had a top 10 every decade since the 60s? that's incredible and equally as amazing. Given music as it now is owes a lot to The Beatles that's rather fitting!

I could name you his Top Tens from the 60s, 70s, 80s & 10s but what was Paul McCartney's Top Ten hits from the 90s & 00s?
  • newplanetnewplanet Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    I think the constant need however to imply in every thread about Madonna that Kylie has sold more in the UK is now wearing thin and it has become deeply repetitive.

But here we are in a thread trying to ascertain a specific fact about Kylie and now it's been turned into a thread about whether or not Madonna's better. This nonsense will only perpetuate if fans on both sides allow it to perpetuate.
    Madonna and Kylie are at totally different stages of their careers though because Madonna is 10 years older. When Madonna was 46 she had the biggest hit of her career with Hung Up which has sold almost 10 million copies. At 46 Kylie's Into The Blue only sold 30k.

If comparisons are to be made then do it at the points they should be. Because as it stands Madonna had Confessions at 46 and Kylie had Kiss Me Once at 46.

Or how about we don't make comparisons at all? Apart from the fact that Kiss Me Once wasn't released in 2005 so you can't compare like-for-like sales of the two, if we're trying not to be ageist then age doesn't factor into it at all. Madonna may have had the longer and ultimately *more* successful career worldwide, but let's face it... it seems both Madonna and Kylie are at *exactly the same* stage in their careers *right now* - the "we're not selling as many records as we used to but we can still command large audiences on tour, so it doesn't really matter" stage.

I love Madonna. I love Kylie. But this "my idol is better than yours" rubbish needs to stop.
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JakeXY wrote: »
    I can't believe this thread is seven pages long. All that was needed was a simple "yes", lol.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D