Maximum working hours for under 18s

What's the law for the maximum daily working hours for under 18s for a person OVER 16? So 16 or 17? Thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely it's the same as for adults? :confused:
  • The Unknown OneThe Unknown One Posts: 20,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually it's no more than 8 hours a day, or 40 hours over a week, and the hours can't be averaged out. There are a few exceptions though. More info here - http://www.directgov.gov.uk/en/YoungPeople/Workandcareers/Yourrightsandresponsibilitiesatwork/DG_066272
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How ridiculous. Thanks. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happens if you work over the legal limit and your employer mistakenly lets you do this?
  • Oblido2007Oblido2007 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know there is a law when it comes to break entitlements. Under 18s get more or slightly longer breaks then the over 18s.

Which I think is slightly unfair. In me view if your ready to start work then you should get exactly what the over 18s are entitled too, that includes pay.
  • pje1979pje1979 Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    Oblido2007 wrote: »
    I know there is a law when it comes to break entitlements. Under 18s get more or slightly longer breaks then the over 18s.

Which I think is slightly unfair. In me view if your ready to start work then you should get exactly what the over 18s are entitled too, that includes pay.

The laws on breaks are ridiculous anyway, I mean one 20 minute break every 6 hours, they want to get the pen pushers that made that law up to stand and do heavy physical work for 6 hours without a break and give them 20 minutes off and get them to carry on for another 6 hours.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the last poster. I believe there should be entitlement to a 15 minute break after 3 hours of working.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not quite the same thing, but I remember arguing with my manager over breaks in that I did not always want to take my break.

Him: "You HAVE to have a break, it's the law"
    Me: "No, the law says that I'm entitled to a break"
    Him: "Yeah, so you have to have a break."
    Me: "No, I'm intitled to a break should I want one." (I managed to pronounce the italics too which was odd.)

Ho hum...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    I know someone who works in a supermarket and they have a 15 minute break every 4 hours. He worked an 12 hour shift 9am-9pm yesterday! Of course he still had his lunch break as well as 3 15 minute breaks in that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    I think the maximum hours is the same as adults..im under 18 and work part time at sainsburys...law states we aer entitled to 15 mins break every 4 hours...8 hours a day is maximum for everyone, except managers, although us under 18's get much lower pay for exactly the same job as the rest of the staff...and this week been doing heaps of overtime, working up till late christmas eve, no highgher wages though :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bumhole wrote: »
    I think the maximum hours is the same as adults..im under 18 and work part time at sainsburys...law states we aer entitled to 15 mins break every 4 hours...8 hours a day is maximum for everyone, except managers, although us under 18's get much lower pay for exactly the same job as the rest of the staff...and this week been doing heaps of overtime, working up till late christmas eve, no highgher wages though :(
    I'm 17 and have been working 11 hours a day including a break on at least 4 occasions in the last ten days or so and when not doing that I've done 9 hours with one hour's break.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did a fourteen hour shift last Christmas, but because it was my normal 5.5 hour shift which only warranted a quarter hour break, and the rest of the time extra I only got an hour and a half break during the day which was a bit annoying (though I couldn't really say much given that this was after the exchange I outlined above!)