4.3 Update Nexus 7

scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,371
Forum Member
Just installed the update. Suppose to improve stability and allows you put locks on certain profiles to prevent children viewing adult apps. Also a new app is installed called keek.

Anyway share your thoughts and problems (bet there's a few) here.

Comments

• pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also a new app is installed called keek.
    Are you sure that came with the 4.3 update?
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think it's supposed to be Keep. It's a notes app added in 4.3
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not available OTA yet. I prefer to wait for the "official" release.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    It's not available OTA yet. I prefer to wait for the "official" release.

It is officially released.

Google have posted the factory images here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

The OTA update rollout is underway but it is being staged, so not all devices will see it yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Think it's supposed to be Keep. It's a notes app added in 4.3
    Ah, that makes sense - I did a quick Google for Keek, which is actually an app but didn't have any obvious affiliation with Google.

Keep is actually a pretty decent all-syncing notes app, I've been using it since release - quite pleasing to see it as part of the OS now.
  • scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    I got the ota update last night. Also the app is called keek social video,some kind of video upload app.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also the app is called keek social video,some kind of video upload app.
    So, again: are you sure the app came with the update?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    So, again: are you sure the app came with the update?

if two people have independently said it then what else is it that you are proposing happened?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    if two people have independently said it then what else is it that you are proposing happened?
    I only see one person having mentioned Keek - where is the other?

What I'm proposing is that it did not come as part of the update, since (a) no other review of 4.3 - even the detailed breakdowns at Android Police et al - mentioned this at all, and (b) Google have never, to the best of my knowledge, bundled random third-party apps out as part of OS updates.

Do you disagree?
    Forum Member
    I only see one person having mentioned Keek - where is the other?

What I'm proposing is that it did not come as part of the update, since (a) no other review of 4.3 - even the detailed breakdowns at Android Police et al - mentioned this at all, and (b) Google have never, to the best of my knowledge, bundled random third-party apps out as part of OS updates.

Do you disagree?

sorry i thought they were separate people.

i shall let you know as soon as i have it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just updated my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 and I do not have 'Keek' on either device.

Agree with the above too. Bundling a third party app with a Nexus device (especially one which potentially competes with Google's own services) would not be keeping with the 'Best of Google' positioning of the Nexus range.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    It is officially released.

Google have posted the factory images here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

The OTA update rollout is underway but it is being staged, so not all devices will see it yet.

That may explain why my Nexus 7 got the update this morning and my Nexus 4 is still to get the update.

Darren
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    That may explain why my Nexus 7 got the update this morning and my Nexus 4 is still to get the update.

Darren

MY nexus 4 has the update, maybe batches means in IMEI blocks or something else other than straight model number.

Actually that may be what you meant anyway.
  • scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    Sorry my mistake I must of installed it myself a while back but I'm sure the update said some kind of video sharing app would be installed too so I assumed it was that.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking of profiles, has anyone ever used the Permissions Manager app?
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just my imagination or does 4.3 feel a little quicker to use?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Was very surprised to get this update first thing this morning on my Nexus 7. OTA, no problems.

If it is your imagination, it's mine too. Just feels slightly faster, nothing massive but definitely noticeable.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It has better TRIM support. Which will probably improve the overall 'snappiness' of the device.
    Forum Member
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    It has better TRIM support. Which will probably improve the overall 'snappiness' of the device.

where did you read that?
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    where did you read that?

Anandtech's review and various reports online:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7176/nexus-7-2013-mini-review
    One of the big problems was that the slowness which occurred with the prior Nexus 7 took device aging to appear – it was great for the first few months, but after you started loading it things tailed off. The new Nexus 7 (2013) with Android 4.3 includes support for fstrim, essentially idle garbage collection, which TRIMs the eMMC when a few conditions are met – the device is idle, screen off, and battery above roughly 70-percent. I’m told that TRIM support has been part of the eMMC standard since around 4.2, it was just a matter of enabling it in software. The result is that the new Nexus 7 shouldn’t have these aging affects at all. Oh, better yet, fstrim support has also been added to the old Nexus 7 with as of the Android 4.3 update, so if you’re got one of those that feel slow, I/O performance should get better after fstrim runs in the background. I would consider that problem fixed as of now, and Google took the eMMC and storage I/O performance issues with the previous Nexus 7 to heart for this version.

Also looking on Google's official developer pages:

https://android.googlesource.com/platform/system/vold/+/b87937c
    Forum Member
    Thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can obviously get around fragmenting problems on old devices via a simple back up and restore. Seems incredible that Anand never told anyone back then.

I'm not sure if there is a safe defrag to do the same.
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    You can obviously get around fragmenting problems on old devices via a simple back up and restore. Seems incredible that Anand never told anyone back then.

Thats a pain in the arse. Reminiscent of the old Windows 9x days where you ended up formatting every 6 months. Shouldn't have to do that in this day and age.

It definitely does seem quicker and that's why I guess. I've got it on my N4 as well although that was already really quick.
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »

Trim is not related to fragmenting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trim is not related to fragmenting.

Nope, it seems trim is in its way related to removing undelete functionality. I never needed to know and always assumed it was about data block overlaps.

There are further drawbacks to SSD then.