What can be done about noisy kids upstairs?

Comments

• Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,987
    Forum Member
    thedrewser wrote: »
    I'm glad I live in a detached house. My kids can make as much noise as they like and we don't disturb anyone (except my wife's lie in's on a Saturday/Sunday morning).

And we're all very pleased for you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    tortfeasor wrote: »
    It is a good idea. I'd say try and get to know the parent(s) first.
    Most people are reasonable about this sort of thing if you put it to them in a diplomatic way.

My next door neighbours had to ask my parents if I could use headphones when I was playing my keyboard when I was growing up. I went through a phase of practising a lot and it turned out their bedroom was the other side of the wall to our spare room where the keyboard was kept. We didn't know this!

For the record I was a rather good pianist! :p

Lol, my mum used to send me outside to practise my recorder until she was talking to the neighbour one day who said 'yes she does love that recorder doesn't she, same she's rotten at it' :o:o
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    Lol, my mum used to send me outside to practise my recorder until she was talking to the neighbour one day who said 'yes she does love that recorder doesn't she, same she's rotten at it' :o:o

Awwww! I had a recorder too and I'm surprised the neighbours didn't complain about that because I used to love deliberately playing it badly to annoy my parents. I'm pretty sure Mum decided to hide it once but I soon found it. I'm sure my parents would have liked to have send me as far away as possible when I got the recorder out.

One of my primary school teachers decided it'd be nice to have a group of pupils playing recorders for the school concert and I really got into playing it, much to Mum's dismay. I can remember her saying to me, "why don't you play the piano for a few minutes?" one day and I of course didn't get that what she was trying to say was,"shut the hell up!"
    As I remember I wasn't that bad at playing the recorder but the bad side of me delighted in messing around with it to irritate others!
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really am at my wits end to the point i want to strangle myself.I reported it yet again and the useless housing officer thinks we are being unreasonable and that if we want something done we have to confront someone we don't know i have anxiety and my partner is disabled so it wont work.And to make it worse the little sh*ts are up there now. I cant understand why they need to play with a ball in the house,there's plenty of things kids can do without disrupting other people and making their lives a misery. Most kids are happy to sit down and play with toys or watch DVDs etc. Does anyone have any advice seeing as the housing officer doesn't give a damn,im sure she would do something if she had to put up with it from 8am until 9pm.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Letting the kids play with a football indoors all the time is a bit much, that kind of thing is for outside. I leave those kind of toys out in the backyard so my two don't get tempted, I can't stand that kind of racket indoors myself. If they fancy a game they can wrap up get some fresh air out back, I go down too.

I have told my neighbours to let me know if kid noise is disturbing them though, my eldest is going through a bit of a stroppy time at the moment too. My youngest gallops about, but I got a huge furry rug which helps the noise greatly. Kids will be kids, but it is decent to teach them to respect others and get on with neighbours, I have been on the receiving end of nightmare neighbours in the past, adults though, darts and footballs, horrendous parties etc.

If the parents can't be reasoned with, I'd keep on at the housing, or ask environmental health for advice. It's hard I don't know what else to suggest.
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really am at my wits end to the point i want to strangle myself.I reported it yet again and the useless housing officer thinks we are being unreasonable and that if we want something done we have to confront someone we don't know i have anxiety and my partner is disabled so it wont work.And to make it worse the little sh*ts are up there now. I cant understand why they need to play with a ball in the house,there's plenty of things kids can do without disrupting other people and making their lives a misery. Most kids are happy to sit down and play with toys or watch DVDs etc. Does anyone have any advice seeing as the housing officer doesn't give a damn,im sure she would do something if she had to put up with it from 8am until 9pm.

You can't expect young kids to sit still all the time they are indoors - particularly if they don't have direct access to an outdoor space. Boys in particular seem to need to be active a lot. It's not good for them to do passive things like DVDs a lot. Sure playing football is unreasonable - but I doubt that's what they are doing - most parents wouldn't want the noise or damage themselves. But kids do chase round and make a lot of noise just through normal play.

I do think it's unreasonable to expect them not to have a proper childhood simply because you don't like the noise. Especially if you won't even go and talk like an adult with the parent.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,920
    Forum Member
    I genuinely feel sorry for those who have no choice but to live in flats with constantly noisy people directly above/below them. I don't know if I could manage it personally.

It would drive me insane I think.
  • bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel really sorry for you I used to live in a flat - and it's the suddeness of the bangs that gets you, don't know how many heart attacks I nearly had!

I don't even think there's much you can do apart from ear defenders but who wants to walk around with them on all day.

Hopefully they don't keep you up at night as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are both girls. Ive no problem with them being kids,if they want to play ball games then they should go outside like normal kids do,theres a park just across the road. When indoors their father should think about the people below instead of being so selfish. When i was that age i had tons to do. I didnt need to play football indoors increasing the risk of causing damage. Im just hoping i win the lottery so i can get a nice big house away from selfish,thoughtless people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't expect young kids to sit still all the time they are indoors - particularly if they don't have direct access to an outdoor space. Boys in particular seem to need to be active a lot. It's not good for them to do passive things like DVDs a lot. Sure playing football is unreasonable - but I doubt that's what they are doing - most parents wouldn't want the noise or damage themselves. But kids do chase round and make a lot of noise just through normal play.

I do think it's unreasonable to expect them not to have a proper childhood simply because you don't like the noise. Especially if you won't even go and talk like an adult with the parent.

I am an adult,i have anxiety,i do not like confrontation that is why i reported it so they would speak to him and they did months ago when it was reported the first time but hes the type of person who doesnt give a sh*t about anything or anyone. I had a proper childhood my parents actually bothered to care and did things with us. If we were bored indoors they found quiet things for us to do.
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am an adult,i have anxiety,i do not like confrontation that is why i reported it so they would speak to him and they did months ago when it was reported the first time but hes the type of person who doesnt give a sh*t about anything or anyone. I had a proper childhood my parents actually bothered to care and did things with us. If we were bored indoors they found quiet things for us to do.

None of us like confrontation but in this life you can't expect other people to fix everything you don't like - sometimes you have to be prepared to help yourself, as difficult as that might be especially if you are anxious.

Flats aren't easy places to raise children - and I'm sure they aren't continuously noisy but clearly you are very sensitive to the noise.

Perhaps you might be better moving somewhere else?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If i had enough money id be out like a shot,im praying for a lottery win. Mine is social anxiety,and i dont trust this bloke anyway.
    Forum Member
    Kids are kids, it's pouring out, and if where you are is anything like here, it has been for about 2 days, the parks are unusable, they are more like bogs (that's if it's stopped raining), kids are doubly excited as its nearing to the most exciting time of year, so they are going to be a little hyper. I've resorted to playing ball down the hall before (in a flat and in the house) to wear some energy off, play centres are great if you a) can afford them, b) can access one, but not as a daily event. I also think you are probably a little sensitive to it, when something annoys you it becomes more and more of an issue. At the end of the day, it's there house and they have very right to play ball, chase, and anything else tbh. Yes there should be some sensitivity to neighbours, but you say it's just during the day, so perhaps the parents are trying thier best. Living in a flat sucks, and even walking can annoy the people below you, it's just one of those things in a flat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It goes on even when the weather is lovely. And this is my flat,therefore i have the right to live quietly, i do not disturb anyone,so why should i put up with it? Ball games are for outdoors,theres tons of things to do in the house that are quiet. If you can be bothered that is.
  • Christian_GreyChristian_Grey Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of us like confrontation but in this life you can't expect other people to fix everything you don't like - sometimes you have to be prepared to help yourself, as difficult as that might be especially if you are anxious.

Flats aren't easy places to raise children - and I'm sure they aren't continuously noisy but clearly you are very sensitive to the noise.

Perhaps you might be better moving somewhere else?

Unbelievable! So the OP should move because someone has no consideration for their neighbours? I hope you're having a laugh! It's very easy to say its kids being kids but if you're living with constant noise, it can leave you constantly on edge. Why should you have to deal with that in your home? I'm damn sure you wouldn't put up with it.

OP I suggest you continue to push the housing officer about it. If you feel you're being ignored, can you not complain to his superior?
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd never complain about kids playing. Sorry, but children are children they have to play somewhere and if they are living in a flat then they won't have a garden to play in. I doubt the noise impacts on your sleep because most kids will be in bed fast asleep by the time you go to bed. I do wonder OP if your being a little bit over sensitive? You have to expect some noise living in a flat, and I'd rather kids playing than loud, thudding music in the early hours of the morning.
    Forum Member
    Just because the weather is good doesn't mean you can go out, maybe the guy needs to get some things done around the house, maybe he needs to work or study. Life doesn't haut stop when you have kids, sometimes they have to entertain themselves, and I'd rather have a father that kept his kids in, and paid attention to them, than one that let them roam the streets unattended. It's not a case of 'not bothering' and you are fairly judgemental to presume that it is. Your issue is one of pure selfishness, yesterday you moan that he's selfish. All you are concerned about is that you are not bothered, yes it's a pain but at least it's day time only (and I presume only outside of school) not some one that parties all night, it is part and parcel of living in a flat. You have several options:
    1) talk to him nicely (calling him a crap father will not do much)
    2) go out more, sitting in listening to the noise is not going to do you any favours, and ironically it's what you suggest he should do, take some of your own advice
    3) move to a house, you've said this is not an option so I refer you back to points 1 and 2

It's hard to bring up kids, and especially so in a flat, despite what you think, it's not always possible to keep them quiet, or take them outside.

Just as you feel you have a right to piece and quiet (which you do, but Living in a flat you sacrifice that) he has a right to live as he wishes,
    Forum Member
    Unbelievable! So the OP should move because someone has no consideration for their neighbours? I hope you're having a laugh! It's very easy to say its kids being kids but if you're living with constant noise, it can leave you constantly on edge. Why should you have to deal with that in your home? I'm damn sure you wouldn't put up with it.

OP I suggest you continue to push the housing officer about it. If you feel you're being ignored, can you not complain to his superior?

But it's not constant is it? He's already said its day time only, I presume if they are old enough to be running round playing ball constantly they are at least old enough for nursery or school, so in all likelyhood it's more that the op is sensitive to it, and finds it annoying because he's more aware of it (its like disliking someone, so everything they do becomes an issue)
  • MsBehaviourMsBehaviour Posts: 5,532
    Forum Member
    I'd pursue it again with the housing association if I were you. Housing associations have a duty of care to residents and all associations should, by now, have anti-social behaviour policies for dealing with situations such as excessive noise. You could also ask for a copy of their policy...and hold them to it.

I appreciate that children have to play, but the constant pounding of a ball sounds over the top.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It goes on from orning until night. And nope this guy doesnt work,he never leaves the flat. He looks a mess. No wonder the kids are playing with balls he doesnt give a to**. they may have the right to be kids,but we have the right to live in our home free from annoyance and stress that we pay to live in. But thankyou to the helpful advice we are going to speak to environmental heath after new year and keep pestering the housing officer. Im sure the people who are saying im being over sensitive wouldnt be saying it if tey were having to put up with it from morning until night.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It goes on from orning until night. And nope this guy doesnt work,he never leaves the flat. He looks a mess. No wonder the kids are playing with balls he doesnt give a to**. they may have the right to be kids,but we have the right to live in our home free from annoyance and stress that we pay to live in. But thankyou to the helpful advice we are going to speak to environmental heath after new year and keep pestering the housing officer. Im sure the people who are saying im being over sensitive wouldnt be saying it if tey were having to put up with it from morning until night.

Morning till night? Don't these children go to school then?:confused:
  • icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just be glad you don't live next door to me.I have 4 guitars,my son has 9 including 3 basses and a drum kit.So pleased our neighbour is deaf.
  • Akane TendoAkane Tendo Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised they're allowed to kick balls around all day. Could do a lot of damage. I also find it hard to believe that they get up and kick a football around all day everyday. Even a child would get bored of that after awhile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morning till night? Don't these children go to school then?:confused:

I have no idea what they do aaprt from being a nuicance.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member

you dont know that he doesnt give a toss about his kids. I am guessing he also pays for his home.

is it just the noise or are you concerned about the kids? how old are they?