Richard lll : The King in the Carpark C4 Monday

Comments

• Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dome wrote: »
    Westminster Cathedral is still RC, there are a few others.

Westminster and Liverpool are the only ones I know. Are there any others? If there are, I doubt there is one in Leicester. (I am open to correction, here:))

And it is not "still" RC, it was built way after the Reformation.

I don't know of any Cathedrals that stayed RC through the Reformation and beyond?
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Westminster and Liverpool are the only ones I know. Are there any others? If there are, I doubt there is one in Leicester. (I am open to correction, here:))

And it is not "still" RC, it was built way after the Reformation.

I don't know of any Cathedrals that stayed RC through the Reformation and beyond?

Leeds, Arundel, Lancaster to name a few more, admittedly all built after the reformation.

As a Church of England Vicar said to me once, the Catholics certainly knew how to build great churches, which is why they have never been handed back! :D
  • moondewmoondew Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The programme is going to be repeated tonight at 9pm on 4seven, so if anyone missed it they can watch it then.
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny looking at the start of this thread with people saying the program would be crap. It was actually great, by everyone involved. You don't need expensive license fee money to make a good documentary.
    Forum Member
    starry wrote: »
    Funny lookin at the start of this thread with people saying the program would be crap. It was actually great, by everyone involved. You don't need expensive license fee money to make a good documentary.

I thought it was crap as a documentary.

As an unintended comedy skit it probably hit the mark.
  • HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was disappointed by this, as it felt more like watching a Channel 5 ripperology hash than the quality I'd expect from the channel.

Phillipa, in spite of earning her place, was given far too much of a pedastal. Her tearful disappointment that the skeleton was hunchbacked, even slightly, was obsessive and irritating. The old art historian was far more interesting. Going on about how he was brilliant and perfect all the time is just as bad historically as saying he was an evil tyrant.

Mind you, when I did my history degree, we did get warned as womn about forming fantasist romantic attachments with historical figures :D (it never happens to men, by the way, apparently, as women aren't treated in the same way as men in most historical sources).

I agree, l was also alarmed when she wanted to drape the flag over the box and despite the scientist saying she did not think it was a good idea, still did it anyway. I don't know who would "own" a skeleton under these circumstances, l'm pretty sure it wouldn't be some fan club.
    Forum Member
    Heartache wrote: »
    I agree, l was also alarmed when she wanted to drape the flag over the box and despite the scientist saying she did not think it was a good idea, still did it anyway. I don't know who would "own" a skeleton under these circumstances, l'm pretty sure it wouldn't be some fan club.

I cheered the scientist for refusing to take part in that.
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was happy with the presenter as well, I get tired of having those with big egos who have their name in the program title and empasise every other word they say and/or wave their arms about. Refreshingly normal presenting in this program I thought, which meant the focus was on the subject.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leeds, Arundel, Lancaster to name a few more, admittedly all built after the reformation.

As a Church of England Vicar said to me once, the Catholics certainly knew how to build great churches, which is why they have never been handed back! :D

More than I thought, then! Thanks for that. :)
    I cheered the scientist for refusing to take part in that.

I thought she made herself look a bit po faced. If she didn't want to do it, she could just have said "You do it" to Philippa, without making such a big deal of it. It was meaningless to anyone else but Philippa, really.
  • JezRJezR Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cressida wrote: »
    It seems to may be a case of watch this space. Richard was to be interred at Leicester Cathedral which traces its history to a Saxon bishop in AD 680 and as such was within the guidelines regarding burying bodies close to where they are exhumed.
    The nearest Catholic Church to the original burial site is just the other side of the river in Hinckley Road (which is bypassed by King Richards Road). It looks like a load of concrete blocks stuck together. The next nearest is dedicated to Thomas Moore.
    Change may be afoot as according to the news today York wish to claim him for their Minister and have already written to the Queen.
    Her Majesty's Government had already decided before the exhumation.
  • HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing that puzzled me is what happened to his feet, and if it was a proper burial ground why were there no other skeleton's. Or was he buried in some out of the way corner.
  • JezRJezR Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His body was inside the church, rather than in a grave yard. I think it was in the press conference that it was said that it was fortunate that a public lavatory built close by in Victorian times missed the body - maybe that work took away the feet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was crap as a documentary.

As an unintended comedy skit it probably hit the mark.

Does that mean your a humourless crappy expert on documentaries
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing that puzzled me is what happened to his feet, and if it was a proper burial ground why were there no other skeleton's. Or was he buried in some out of the way corner.

Heartache Yes his feet were lost during later public building work, possibly the Victoria loo. They said it was a miracle his whole skeleton wasn't destroyed seeing as lots of work had happened on that site, not to mentions laying sewer & gas pipes etc.

They reckon his body was buried in the choir of the church, a very prestigious spot apparently.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He was buried inside the church, in the choir in fact, which is a sacred space near to the altar. Only very "special" or important people are ever buried that close to the altar or inside at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JezR wrote: »
    The nearest Catholic Church to the original burial site is just the other side of the river in Hinckley Road (which is bypassed by King Richards Road). It looks like a load of concrete blocks stuck together. The next nearest is dedicated to Thomas Moore.

Oh no not Thomas Moore. He was one of those writing in Henry VII and particularly Henry VIII times. He was writing for the Tudors, as was Shakespeare later on, and many misunderstandings about Richard III come down in history through them.

As has been said the skeleton was found in the Choir, which is the nearest place to the altar and where only "important" people were buried.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    I thought she made herself look a bit po faced. If she didn't want to do it, she could just have said "You do it" to Philippa, without making such a big deal of it. It was meaningless to anyone else but Philippa, really.
    It seems to have been sprung on her and she seemed to be desperately thinking of a way to say no without calling Philippa a nutjob which was what had just dawned on her.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep! Lord Farquaad! That's him!

Spitting image :D
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The "Catholics" built great churches because they were the only Christians before Henry V111 and the reformation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MJS wrote: »
    Oh no not Thomas Moore. He was one of those writing in Henry VII and particularly Henry VIII times. He was writing for the Tudors, as was Shakespeare later on, and many misunderstandings about Richard III come down in history through them.

If you mean St Thomas More, I don't think he was particularly a fan of Henry VIII in later life. :D
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being a historian and having read History at University, I was thrilled to bits watching the recording of this programme this morning.

Quite a find in my view, and quite an achievement by all concerned.

Of course, the mystery of who actually murdered the Princes in the Tower will go on, and will probably never be solved.
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you mean St Thomas More, I don't think he was particularly a fan of Henry VIII in later life. :D

Thomas More refused to take of oath of supremacy which entailed King Henry VIII to proclaim himself Head of the Church of England.

He was beheaded on Tower Hill and his remains lie within the walls of the little chapel of St. Peter ad Vincula which stands just off Tower Green within the Tower. I visited that little chapel a few years ago and it was a moving experience. There are other remains of a number of men and at least five women who were executed for treason and still lie there to this day.
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JezR wrote: »

They didn't know then there would be remains to be found.

King Richard visited York several times during his short reign, and stayed for three weeks in 1483. He was met by the mayor and alderman, and was sprinkled with holy water at the entrance to the Minster.

Richard had plans for burial with much ceremonial in York Minster and a radical ambition when English monarchs were traditionally interred at Westminster Abbey. He planned to build an enormous chantry chapel at the Minster where 100 additional chaplains would pray for his soul.

His final buriel place may change but then again it may not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I did, too, to be honest.
    Whatever anyone thought of her, Philippa was clearly really emotionally involved in this venture - at times it was almost as though she had a major schoolgirl like crush on Richard and was overcome at the thought of finally "meeting" her hero!

I didn't see the harm in humouring her by putting the flag on the box, and thought it looked a bit like they were standing there laughing at her at one point.

An interesting programme and a great achievement to find him.

I just wish good History documentaries weren't so few and far between. ... I love them!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Loved this and was totally captivated by it.

I thought it was refreshing to not have a 'Time Team' presenter or a Historian. It gave the documentary a much more viewer friendly viewpoint I thought.

Am I the only one who wants them to dig up all the old Kings and Queens and have them do a photo fit of them all! Would love to see how some famous historic beauty's really looked like Anne Boleyn etc.