The Greatest Actors & Actresses of All Time???

NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,128
Forum Member
Whilst Googling something I came across this:
http://www.imdb.com/list/eiEikL2ztXU/
Now I don't claim to be any kind of expert and I love Bruce Willis but he's there along with - Raquel Welch, Jennifer Anniston, Edie Falco (who I've only seen in Nurse Jackie!), Tim Allen. :confused::confused::confused: In fact most of them on the list shouldn't be there!

Comments

• zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite actor would probably be Jack Lemmon who was brilliant in everything he did. I love lots of comedy actors particularly the Carry On team, Laurel and Hardy etc, but I think Jack Lemmon was someone who could do anything.

Again with actresses I love Hattie Jacques, Edie Adams etc but I think two great actresses were Margaret Lockwood and Googie Withers. Probably no-one else will agree with these :)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Whilst Googling something I came across this:
    http://www.imdb.com/list/eiEikL2ztXU/
    Now I don't claim to be any kind of expert and I love Bruce Willis but he's there along with - Raquel Welch, Jennifer Anniston, Edie Falco (who I've only seen in Nurse Jackie!), Tim Allen. :confused::confused::confused: In fact most of them on the list shouldn't be there!
    They are just personal lists aren't they?

If you like The Sopranos and Friends then more than likely the actors may appear in a list.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Peter O'Toole is certainly an actor who is in contention. He's among the pantheon of the greats.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daniel Day Lewis
    Meryl Streep

Oh... I thought you were asking the question.
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite actor would probably be Jack Lemmon who was brilliant in everything he did. I love lots of comedy actors particularly the Carry On team, Laurel and Hardy etc, but I think Jack Lemmon was someone who could do anything.

Again with actresses I love Hattie Jacques, Edie Adams etc but I think two great actresses were Margaret Lockwood and Googie Withers. Probably no-one else will agree with these :)

Good call. Re Jack Lemmon. Walter Matteau was brilliant also. Those two in the odd couple was just:-) :-) :-)

I agree with the Carry on team. Great comedy actors/actresses.

I've always thought that Leonard Rossiter and Frances de la tour were excellent together in Rising Damp. Rigs by and Miss Jones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jules1000 wrote: »
    Good call. Re Jack Lemmon. Walter Matteau was brilliant also. Those two in the odd couple was just:-) :-) :-)

I agree with the Carry on team. Great comedy actors/actresses.

I've always thought that Leonard Rossiter and Frances de la tour were excellent together in Rising Damp. Rigs by and Miss Jones.

We are all out of cornflakes FU :D

Yes I think a lot of people underrate the Carry On team they were brilliant at what they did.

Agree with Leonard Rossiter and Frances de la tour as well. Come to think of it there are hundreds of actors and actresses I think are great Ronnie Barker, Terry-Thomas, June Whitfield, Peter Falk, Harry Andrews, Michael Ripper etc.
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are all out of cornflakes FU :D

Yes I think a lot of people underrate the Carry On team they were brilliant at what they did.

Agree with Leonard Rossiter and Frances de la tour as well. Come to think of it there are hundreds of actors and actresses I think are great Ronnie Barker, Terry-Thomas, June Whitfield, Peter Falk, Harry Andrews, Michael Ripper etc.
    Yes Terry Thomas with his gappy teeth. He was in a film with Jack Lemon in How to murder your wife. Sounds bad but a really funny film. As was Its a mad mad mad mad world. Another great movie. Oops going off thread there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jules1000 wrote: »
    Yes Terry Thomas with his gappy teeth. He was in a film with Jack Lemon in How to murder your wife. Sounds bad but a really funny film. As was Its a mad mad mad mad world. Another great movie. Oops going off thread there.

Yes I've got both of them, brilliant films :). Also he's in Too many Crooks, great film.
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of all time that's a tricky one - some good ones anyway:

Meryl Streep
    Bette Davis
    Anne Hathaway will be a contender I think.

Heath Ledger - most of his stuff - the Joker in the Dark Knight was disturbing.
    Jack Nicholson
    Laurence Olivier - too wooden and too many false noses!

At home - David Jason, Paul Whitehouse.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Top actors for various occasions (drama and comedy)

Orson Welles
    James Stewart
    Peter O'Toole
    Faye Dunaway
    Walter Matthew
    Robert Shaw
    Cary Grant
    Paul Newman

I find modern actors tend to disappoint - they tend to be either of the "fussy" 'what's my motivation for this character?' types or bland clothes horses trading on an easy smile. Hardly a true movie star left in the business.

There is a subset of "character actors" like Thelma Ritter and Harry Dean Stanton but that's too long list.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe Pesci
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    Spencer Tracey , Edward G Robinson and James Cagney all three could play serious dramatic roles but were also versatile enough to play comic roles Cagney was also a very good dancer
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we're talking critical acclaim, I think Katherine Hepburn would be in the top 5.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Tom hanks
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eli Wallach the man is a living legend.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    They are just personal lists aren't they?

If you like The Sopranos and Friends then more than likely the actors may appear in a list.

:o Oh, you're right, thanks for that. Doh! I hadn't realised they were just 'somebody's' greatest IYKWIM :D

I don't know if you'd class him as great, depends how you define 'great' but I love Timothy Spall, he really is very versatile. I loved his Fagin in a TV adaptation of Oliver Twist some years ago.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robert Mitchum. Committed the cardinal sin of making it look easy.:cool:
  • Linda_AndersonLinda_Anderson Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Doris Day
    James Stewart
    Cary Grant
    Humphrey Bogart
    Lauren Bacall
    Sigourney Weaver
    Fred Astaire
    Ginger Rodgers

I haven't heard of some of the people on that list.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robert De Niro
    Al Pacino
    Jack Lemmon
    Spencer Tracy
    Diane Keaton
    Bette Davis
    Katherine Hepburn.
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    Jean Harlow
    Elizabeth Taylor
    Lauren Bacall
    Lana Turner
    Barbara Stanwyck
    Joan Fontaine
    Bette Davis

The only current actress I really rate is Meryl Streep.

Paul Newman
    James Stewart
    Jack Lemon
    Rock Hudson
    Broderick Crawford
    Marlon Brando
    Robert de Niro
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Doris Day
    James Stewart
    Cary Grant
    Humphrey Bogart
    Lauren Bacall
    Sigourney Weaver
    Fred Astaire
    Ginger Rodgers

I haven't heard of some of the people on that list.

Google is your friend.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Spencer Tracy
    Gene Hackman
    Bette Davis
    Katherine Hepburn
    Robert DeNiro
    Al Pacino
    Jack Lemmon
    George C Scott
  • Linda_AndersonLinda_Anderson Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Google is your friend.

Oh yeah, forgot about google :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joan Crawford.
    Bette Davis.
    Barbara Stanwyck.
    Olivia De Havilland.
    Joan Fontaine.
    Gene Tierney.
    Marilyn Monroe.
    Faye Dunaway.
    Elizabeth Taylor.
    Meryl Streep.
    Nicole Kidman.
    Julia Roberts.
    Tilda Swinton.
    Sharon Stone.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    My Grandfather always used to say that the greatest actor he had ever seen was Spencer Tracy. A lot of people would say Laurence Olivier or Richard Burton.Hard to pick who I think is a great actor amongst the modern group but I think I will plump for Gary Oldman.