Woman gamers

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't consider anyone who has a xbox 360 to be a 'gamer'. It's as good as playing a game on Android or iOS.

What's your definition of a 'gamer' then ?. Do you also think the same about Ps3 owners or any other video games console ?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a woman....

....I have never played with a woman regularly or had a woman on my friends list. Are they out there? One of my mates has a mass of women friends. I'd love to play and chat with women but they don't ever want to be my friends. What are your experiences ?

I used to have a few female gamer's in my friends list and have come across quite a few while playing COD modern 3. I'm sure we have spoken on a few occasions while playing modern 3 (apologies if I have that wrong). I for one, seem to get on better with females than I do with males but I think/agree with the comment made in another post that female gamer's tend not to want to chat while gaming to avoid the sexist remarks or sexual comments made by some male gamer's. One female gamer I did come across while on mod 3 was exceptional at the game and topped the leader board on many an occasion. She was very good at quick scoping and it made me laugh to hear her getting complaints from other gamer's when she killed them lol
  • kaniakania Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    Another lady gamer here too. My ps id makes it pretty obvious I'm a woman, which I don't really like now lol. I'm not into online much, but perhaps I'd prefer it more if I played with more women, rather than teenage lads etc.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is a femme. Alas, I avoid online gaming. Prefer getting my butt handed to me by AI characters.
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rarely seen female usernames in online FPS games.

Women gamers seem to be most common in MMORPG games, im guessing the ratio is 10:1 men:women. I know a lot of the characters are men playing female characters but ive known a lot of women play, either to talk/listen, or known of.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I don't consider anyone who has a xbox 360 to be a 'gamer'. It's as good as playing a game on Android or iOS.

Wow great insight there on a post about women and gaming.

Especially considering there are very few (graphical differences aside) differences between multiple platform releases.

Back to the original topic, I think it's a cultural thing.

In Korea, many women are unashamed gamers, it's not uncommon to see women playing StarCraft in an internet cafe or WOW or even FIFA Online.

Even casual gaming is massive, seen (and heard) many an old woman playing Anipang (the most popular mobile game) on the bus / subway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think gaming is sexist ?. I ask because my sister games on xbox 360 and she complains about the lack of female avatar stuff.
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think gaming is sexist ?. I ask because my sister games on xbox 360 and she complains about the lack of female avatar stuff.
    She's probably playing games that are so focused on games that are dominated by male gamers? Ive noticed a fair few female usernames in FPS games these days.
    There's some games that seem to be mostly focused for girls, like the Sims, and other games ive noticed i havn't took much notice of though.

Over several years ago it seemed like there was almost no women in online games, now they seem to be "starting to" becoming common.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I am! You are the first person to ask me that. Makes me a little sad in a way :p

Not many people around here are into decent music. Have you seen the state of the music forum on DS? :eek: :p:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lol, you feeling brave or something? :D

I just remembered i have an ep of The Wire to watch. Cheers for reminding me, Jimmy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My ex is a gamer chick :D
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never had anything said to me in a sexist or because I'm a woman. I find it odd that a lot of women find they are targetted because they are female. I think I had Get back in the kitchen once but never anything else. I generally get confused wit a 14 yr old boy most of the time. There seems to be a lot of competition between lady gamers. They have to prove themselves worthy or take it very seriously. I am in the taking it seriously category. I think there is a lack of games for women and the developers really need to think about encouraging more girl gamers to console gaming. PC games are far more lady orientated. Also I find it unusual that women gamers don't chat on the mic since as a woman I know I chat too much which actually get pretty irritating after a while
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It used to be much worse. Avatars were almost predominantly male for many years. It started to change in the 80s wih occasional token female playable characters, but I'd say Lara Croft kicked things into gear along with a certain armour clad Metroid lass.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am always annoyed that I can't be a female avatar in cod. I thought maybe they would in blops 2 because it was set in the future but no...I don't like the big breasted latex clad female characters. They remind me of myself too much lol
  • RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jen-B wrote: »
    If I could like a post on DS, this one would definitely qualify...:D

Aw, thanks :)
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    I have never had anything said to me in a sexist or because I'm a woman. I find it odd that a lot of women find they are targetted because they are female. I think I had Get back in the kitchen once but never anything else. I generally get confused wit a 14 yr old boy most of the time. There seems to be a lot of competition between lady gamers. They have to prove themselves worthy or take it very seriously. I am in the taking it seriously category. I think there is a lack of games for women and the developers really need to think about encouraging more girl gamers to console gaming. PC games are far more lady orientated. Also I find it unusual that women gamers don't chat on the mic since as a woman I know I chat too much which actually get pretty irritating after a while

Now thats where party chat on Live comes in useful. You can talk to the people you are gaming with without the rest of the world chipping in.

I've got about 4 female gamers on my frinds list, which out of a total of 40 people is only 10%. Mostly we play COD and I have to say most of them are better than me too. You do see a fair few "girls" playing COD, but I can understad why they'd be wary to chat in game - the amount of random abuse you can get as a guy is quite impressive, so I'm sure there are plently of knobs out there that would love to talk cr&p to a girl... Not that most of them are 100% on what one of those is!

I'd say sent me a friends request if you're a regular COD player, as others have said, I always feel like a bit of a perv sending "girls" an invite or friends request. :D:(:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should be able to friend request a female without having to worry about there being an ulterior motive.
  • Lisa.JLisa.J Posts: 1,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to game quite a bit but going through a phase of not being very interested in it (Was hoping GTA will break that, not happy now I'll be waiting till sept :mad:)

I'm not very social on there anyway to be honest, I never ever use my mic, and most of the time I have my communications blocked, just as I cant be bothered with the morons on Fifa.
  • Brady12Brady12 Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a woman and don't see anything wrong with people putting female names in their gamer tags but on BO2 the other day a girl had "Has big tits" as her emblem and that made me cringe, what an attention ****. Probably as flat an ironing board
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brady12 wrote: »
    I'm a woman and don't see anything wrong with people putting female names in their gamer tags but on BO2 the other day a girl had "Has big tits" as her emblem and that made me cringe, what an attention ****. Probably as flat an ironing board

That's my emblem.... And I prefer the term fried eggs ! Jk my emblem is squid ward, but you've given e an idea! :D
  • hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bit of a silly comment. Surely anyone who plays games is technically a "gamer". Doesn't matter what your playing it on. I think there are varying levels of gamer and there are people who choose to identify with it and those who don't.

I don't play any online games but even if I did I get a bit shy when it comes to talking to people I don't know. I can imagine there are lots of imbosiles who would make sexist comments although it wouldn't bother me because I would proably just laugh at them!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I play Wow and Diablo 3 and there's loads of women in my guild including myself :)

I'm also a console girl but I prefer playing fallout to cod so I don't talk online there. My hubby plays cod online and most of the voices you hear on there sound like little girls/teenage boys going through puberty lol so no thanks xD ill stick to raiders n super mutants ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    My girlfriend is a part time gamer.
    Seems to get creepy requests when she talks in a lobby which is rather disturbing sometimes
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    Not many people around here are into decent music. Have you seen the state of the music forum on DS? :eek: :p:)

Please, I'm still suffering PTSD over entering there :cry:

I know my sister plays DS and on the Wii, and a girl I know plays CoD and BF games, as well as TF2. I've never really known many who actually would consider themselves to be 'gamers', in the sense that they play a lot, and actively take an interest in the games industry though.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife loves gaming with or without me, although when she plays it's usually a co-op game with me. She hasn't had time to game in a while though, what with all the tv shows we watch.