8 Week old puppy won't settle at night

Dakota.Dakota. Posts: 10,768
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone help? We got a 8 week old puppy this weekend, and he doesnt seem to settle at night. He yelp's and cries, and even having our other dog around him doesnt help. Any suggestions? Really need to get him settled as before long the neighbours will be complaining.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    When I had my little darling, I did a number of things that seemed to help comfort him.
    Blankets to comfort him and keep him warm.
    A cuddly toy
    A little clock to remind him of his Mummy's heartbeart, (tick tock) it's tuff being away from her.
    Maybe a luke warm hot water bottle underneath all those blankets.
    A small radio on quietly so he can hear voices/noise.
    A few little treats
    & of course plenty of water.

Be patient, it does take time for them to settle, and perhaps make sure you come down once or twice to let him out to pee throughout the night :)

Good luck!
  • Dakota.Dakota. Posts: 10,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • moondrops1moondrops1 Posts: 3,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dakota. wrote: »

Aww, it's early days. Good luck though.

Can you post a pic?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Just wanted to say I can definately recommend giving him a piece of your clothing. The first two nights I had my lab he cried the house down. On the third night I put a Tshirt I'd had on in his crate - didn't hear a peep out of him all night, it was bliss!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moondrops1 wrote: »
    Aww, it's early days. Good luck though.

Can you post a pic?

Here you go :)
  • moondrops1moondrops1 Posts: 3,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Adorable! *Sigh* I'd just want to put him in my pocket!

Thanks for posting. :)
  • odie30odie30 Posts: 1,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he is sooooooo cute he is more than likely a bit lonely he will settle soon. i was told not to go down when my little one cried cos they need to get used to being alone at night
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    odie30 wrote: »
    he is sooooooo cute he is more than likely a bit lonely he will settle soon. i was told not to go down when my little one cried cos they need to get used to being alone at night

Oh I've been told the same, it's heartbreaking hearing them cry after knowing what they've been through.

We're going to keep him in our kitchen tonight as he seems to spend most of his sleeping time in there. We're going to try the ticking clock idea, and put one of my tops within his bed to help him settle. Just hope it works :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moondrops1 wrote: »
    Adorable! *Sigh* I'd just want to put him in my pocket!

Thanks for posting. :)

Yeah, you see this face and would think butter wouldn't melt in his mouth!

He's a little monkey at the moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh bless that little fluffy cutie!! He's lovely...give him a big hug from me!xx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh, he's gorgeous! I want one. I'll have to wait for a bigger home though, & for my OH to earn enough for me to give up work & be at home with it. :)

The advice to give him something of yours to keep is good. When I was a teenager, I got a border collie puppy. He was fine during the day, but at bedtime he'd yelp & sound like he was crying. I couldn't stand hearing him & used to be forever going down to cuddle him. One night I left him one of my black t-shirts, & he put it in his basket. From that night on, he was as quiet as anything. If you tried to wash it, he'd go mad, so we ended up with me having to wear another one for a couple of hours to get my smell on it, then swap it for the dirty one to wash it & pray he wouldn't notice. Even though they were the same colour, he'd look at it, do a couple of reccy's to make sure it was OK to put his bum on, then plonk himself down on it & that would be him settled for the night. :D
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    I could not stand it when my puppy cried and she looked so alone I took her to bed with me, end of problem!!!! I know, lots of people will say Oh No!! They need body contact as that is what puppies do, they sleep next to each other and then suddenly this stranger takes away all that is familiar and no wonder they are frightened. I ended up with a lovely loving dog, a joy to be with who adored me so I guess I did something right!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Hi
    When we got our dog we left the radio on( turned down quite low) so he could hear voices and a t-shirt that someone in your house has worn so he feels close to you. Also a hot water bottle is quite good as it helps them feel warm like they are still next to their mum and lots of blankets and a clock under the blankets so they can hear their parents heartbeat. Hope this helps. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Aw he's so cute! Good luck :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ahhhh - when we had ours as a puppy we took a toy or him when he was still with Mum so that he had a familiar smell around him in his new home - mind you it didn't stop him howling (which unfortunately was a habit we never were able to break) - but he settled quite well really.

Hope he settles soon for you - far more hurdles to cross but they are worth it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aw, i used to put something of mine with my pup like a shoe or tshirt that smelled of me, the clock thing also works.
  • Nadias_ballsNadias_balls Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the same problem when I first had my dog, he was a little bit older than eight weeks though, the owners intended to keep him from the litter but the dad dog was rather violent to all the pups. It made me feel terrible when he'd cry.
    I know some dog trainers might not agree with it, but I used to let him sleep on the bed, which usually resulted in me waking up half in, half out whilst he was sleeping soundly on the pillow, lol.
  • ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get an old T shirt, were it, put an old shoe or trainer in it and sew up any holes. Seemingly sleeping on a shoe reminds them of sleeping on top of their puppy siblings. It worked for us. Just dont let them get the shoe or they'll think all shoes are fair game.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    i always crate train with the puppy beside my bed makes toilet training a lot easier in the long run and havde never heard a peep out of pups unless needing the potty, then when they are toilet trained they can sleep in the front room or wherever they like