HMV - Closing down sale

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,368
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Was in a store today that was closing down, said up to 50%
off stock, but to be honest the most i saw was 25% off.
picked up 21 jump Street for 6.40 but couldn't really see anything else that was reduced enough for me to warrant a purchase.
what annoyed me was items like omen pentology WAS £80 now £12, it was never £80 &and they should be ashamed of they did sell it for that.
also saw the descendants bd for sale at £22.99 no reduction.

All 9 out of 10 stores are closing here in northern Ireland so thought i might come out with a few bargains. alas it was not to be. give my condolences to the staff member who served me though.

so point of this post , have you picked up any good bargains at the hmv closing down sale?

Comments

• Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brought a French film but that's it. I go in HMV a lot and noticed that they put the prices up for their "sale" so even with the discount the prices are slightly expensive or equal to the prices before the closure. Not much of a sale then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna38 wrote: »
    Brought a French film but that's it. I go in HMV a lot and noticed that they put the prices up for their "sale" so even with the discount the prices are slightly expensive or equal to the prices before the closure. Not much of a sale then.

glad I'm not the only one who thought that.
    HMV got my money every Saturday when i was a teenager,
    but hadn't been in in years and now think twice before i part with my money in there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dombo wrote: »
    glad I'm not the only one who thought that.
    HMV got my money every Saturday when i was a teenager,
    but hadn't been in in years and now think twice before i part with my money in there.

I've always spent a lot of money in there because I enjoy the process of looking and finding stuff that I wouldn't normally look twice or even come across online so I'm sad to see the one in the nearest town go but at the same time it pisses me off that they did this. I would have normally brought a pile of stuff from there, in fact I picked quite a few DVDs up but when I noticed the price rise I put them back. It's ridiculous. I won't spend £6 for a dvd in your sale when it was £3 normally you robbing gits.

Also annoys me that they shut the good one down in Birmingham a while back and kept the one in the Bullring. The one outside was far superior. I know they had their reasons but it still annoyed me. /Rant. ha. :D
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is there much of a discount on their World Cinema/Foreign Language DVD's at all?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    Is there much of a discount on their World Cinema/Foreign Language DVD's at all?

most dvds apart from a select few have 25% off.
    they have chosen certain ones and splayed them with 50% off like the omen pentology saying it was £80 now 12, oceans trilogy was £35 now £8 it was never £35.
    but the majority had 25% off
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not unless some discount is applied when you got to the till. I saw one for £18!!!
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've now used up all of my remaining HMV credit (obtained from trading in DVDs and CDs). Over the last few weeks I've bought:-

Blu-ray:-

Psycho (1960) £7.50
    Ben-Hur (1959, 3 disc) £9
    Clint Eastwood Western Collection (Pale Rider, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Unforgiven) £7.50
    Westerns Collection (The WIld Bunch, The Searchers, Rio Bravo, How The West Was Won, Pale Rider (again!)), £11.25

DVD:-

I'm All right Jack £5.25
    Blue Collar £3.25
    The Vital Spark (tv) £1.50 (used)
    Magnum Force £1.50 (used)
    The Enforcer £1.50 (used)
    The Far Pavilions (tv), £1.50 (used)
    Philip Marlowe: Private Eye (tv), £1.50 (used)
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Popped into the store on Princes St today. There wasn't a whole lot left. The empty floor space really saddened me as I'm genuinely gutted that HMV are no more. Nevertheless, was pretty disappointed with their closing down sale- I only managed to pick up Cherry Tree Lane and Fast Times at Ridgemount High on DVD for £6.25
  • NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,156
    Forum Member
    Lol a closing down sale at HMV would just be them finally selling their stock at normal prices.
  • robtimusrobtimus Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    in my local, the signs say "all stock reduced", but when you actually get in, one whole side of the store has handwritten signs which say 'No reductions on new releases', and they seem to have stretched that to pretty much anything released since October, as well as a few things older than that.

They have things like the James Bond DVD box set - was £110, now £49. I can't believe that, the RRP of the Blu-ray set is only £99.99
  • JustonecornettoJustonecornetto Posts: 19,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spent quite a bit in the Falkirk store last couple of weeks and each time I go in there is another complete empty section. Like others have said although 50% is quoted mostly 25% discount on offer.
    Got 4 box sets, all films for a total of £54
    David Lynch collection (Dune, Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks, Lost Highway, Eraserhesad & Wild at Heart)
    Werner Herzog collection (Fata Morgana, Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Even Dwarfs Started Small, Stroszek & Heart of Glass)
    Abbot & Costello (8 of their classic films)
    Alien Quadrilogy (the 4 Alien(s) films
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    I went into one branch closing down, and saw Spartacus tv blu-ray season 1 £29 reduced to £22 but then went into the main store in the city centre and picked up the same blu-ray listed at £19 reduced to £14. There is no logic to their pricing.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dombo wrote: »
    most dvds apart from a select few have 25% off.
    they have chosen certain ones and splayed them with 50% off like the omen pentology saying it was £80 now 12, oceans trilogy was £35 now £8 it was never £35.
    but the majority had 25% off
    Not unless some discount is applied when you got to the till. I saw one for £18!!!

I remember when MVC (then known as Music Zone) went into administration their foreign language DVD's hardly went down in price at all .I will go and have a look when I get a chance.
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cazzo wrote: »
    I went into one branch closing down, and saw Spartacus tv blu-ray season 1 £29 reduced to £22 but then went into the main store in the city centre and picked up the same blu-ray listed at £19 reduced to £14. There is no logic to their pricing.

That is why HMV have gone bust because they have failed to compete.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when MVC (then known as Music Zone) went into administration their foreign language DVD's hardly went down in price at all .I will go and have a look when I get a chance.

Picked up a bundle of foreign language films at my local HMV (which isn't closing - yet) with 25% off in the blue cross sale. New releases not included in the offer and some of the marked prices look iffy, but you can just leave them on the shelf if you don't like the price.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My local store is closing so I went in yesterday thinking there’d be bargains to hoover up. How wrong I was - Signs all over the place offering discounts from 10% to 60% but because the remaining stock isn’t seperated/marked out (except the blue cross stuff) it’s impossible to tell what is or is not discounted. Signage also uses HMV’s favoured get-out clause, “selected lines only”. Which selected lines??!?!?!?

Staff in there are a useless surly bunch as well at the best of times so it’s no use asking them. Not sorry to see those individuals losing their jobs.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noticed this myself. Went in expecting there to be a lot of bargains and maybe pick up some stuff. Most of it was the same price as before. They had 4 cardboard boxes sitting on a worktop full of old phone covers, badges etc. and they were all down to 50p or £1 each but as far as actual DVD's went, it was the same rip off prices as usual. Perhaps the prices wont fall drastically until the day of or the day before they are to shut for good? When is that, does anyone know?
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HMV's returns policy with the labels/distributors is so good that they don't need to sell stuff at a loss, they know they can just return it for credit later if they need to... they'd rather sell it to the public if they can, to get cash turning over, but aren't going to cut their own throats...

I remember The Old Days when sales really were SALES, and shops had to empty their warehouses to make room, there used to be some great bargains... nowadays all "sale" stock is made to order, and it's all the same in every store, oh well...
  • AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats HMV closing another 37 stores:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21517862

This will leave 1 in Glasgow Buchanan Street and none in Edinburgh. Still no news on Fopp though!
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This morning (Sunday) I went into HMV Middlesbrough. There were posters everywhere "Closing Down Sale"; "50% Off; 30% Off" etc "Everything Must Go!!!!"

I chose three blu-ray movies. Not one of them was being offered within the sell-off.

I slung one back, Looper starring Bruce Willis being offered at £19.99 (The mind boggles!!!)

The two I accepted and bought were Dr No, and Taken 2, both on blu-ray for the price of £22.

Advertising a closing down sale like this, would they not be liable to trading standards for offering deals which do not exist?

This would come under the Trade Description Act, would it not?

What do other forum users think?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    MrGiles2 wrote: »
    This morning (Sunday) I went into HMV Middlesbrough. There were posters everywhere "Closing Down Sale"; "50% Off; 30% Off" etc "Everything Must Go!!!!"

I chose three blu-ray movies. Not one of them was being offered within the sell-off.

I slung one back, Looper starring Bruce Willis being offered at £19.99 (The mind boggles!!!)

The two I accepted and bought were Dr No, and Taken 2, both on blu-ray for the price of £22.

Advertising a closing down sale like this, would they not be liable to trading standards for offering deals which do not exist?

This would come under the Trade Description Act, would it not?

What do other forum users think?
    You chose fairly new releases, what were you expecting?
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr No for £11 on Blu-ray? You've been done.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    robtimus wrote: »
    in my local, the signs say "all stock reduced", but when you actually get in, one whole side of the store has handwritten signs which say 'No reductions on new releases', and they seem to have stretched that to pretty much anything released since October, as well as a few things older than that.

They have things like the James Bond DVD box set - was £110, now £49. I can't believe that, the RRP of the Blu-ray set is only £99.99

fifty quid for the box set is still pretty good.i see they now have signs up saying 70% of.when you go closer,you see in little writing that its actually UP to 70% and when i went in i saw NOTHING at 70% off.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a look in the Durham store, which is closing down, a few weeks ago. They had huge posters up proclaiming 'Closing Down Sale - Up To 75% off', but the only stock marked down more than 25% was a handful of films on one small display right at the front of the store. I bought 'Ben-Hur' (1959) on Blu-ray for £9 with the last of my store credit, and it's quite possible that it was my last ever HMV purchase.

EDIT Just noticed I've already posted in this topic!
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    robtimus wrote: »
    loonattic wrote: »
    fifty quid for the box set is still pretty good.

Who are HMV trying to kid.I remember when the james bond dvd boxset was released & they were selling it at £49 on the day & they have always been selling it at that pice.

I've seen HMV do this several times.They put a was price on the sticker but they have never sold it at that price before so your not really getting a bargain.