The class of 2011 not doing so well a big warning to the class of 2012

DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,640
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Amelia, Little Mix and Misha B from 2011 all mixed results with recent singles.

I dont think this bodes well for the class of 2012 depending on the material released.

With the dire viewing figures for 2012 may prove a problem in shifting singles in the months ahead including James Arthur I feel.

X-Factor fans should not really want anyone to fail as fans of the show but in 2011 the show still go decent viewing figures so I fear the worst for the 2012 crowd

Comments

• felpcalibasfelpcalibas Posts: 5,547
    Forum Member
    I actually dont think you can already say that they are not doing so well but I dont want to argue with you cause you are always pessimistic, but I do think that the class of 2012 will do, as a whole, worse.. heres why: In 2011 we had much more chart friendly acts whilst last year I cant see many (also dont think union j will be as big as they could be after listening to their single).. I for one liked much more series 8 acts than series 9 ones
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Little Mix have done pretty well. People forget how hard it has been to launch a girlband in the UK in the past 10 years. Even the GA reunion fizzled out pretty quickly.

I'm not sure the ratings matter too much - Leona's album is by far the best selling and that was at a time before the show became insanely popular. And James did really well with his first single - not often those songs go beyond simply being "the winners single" but that hung around as a genuine hit and even had some international success.
  • jackel1234jackel1234 Posts: 5,218
    Forum Member
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Amelia, Little Mix and Misha B from 2011 all mixed results with recent singles.

I dont think this bodes well for the class of 2012 depending on the material released.

With the dire viewing figures for 2012 may prove a problem in shifting singles in the months ahead including James Arthur I feel.

X-Factor fans should not really want anyone to fail as fans of the show but in 2011 the show still go decent viewing figures so I fear the worst for the 2012 crowd

They had around 8 Million people watching per episode so wouldn't call them dire in the slightest.
    And to be honest Little Mix are doing well internationally at the moment so can't really fault them for that.
    Ella, James and Jahmene are getting basically the star treatment with cowell so won't be suprised if they do well.
  • ll_Calypso_llll_Calypso_ll Posts: 4,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's really no comparison with Little Mix's new single and Amelia's and Misha's recent attempts in terms of chart performance. The former charted at #40 with a pre-album single and the latter looks set to miss it completely this week. 'HYD', on the other hand, climbed to #16 this week and is rising on iTunes. And, y'know, there's the fact it's post-album (have you managed to learn what that means yet?)
    C14E wrote: »
    Little Mix have done pretty well. People forget how hard it has been to launch a girlband in the UK in the past 10 years. Even the GA reunion fizzled out pretty quickly.
    You could tell the OP this until we're blue in the face and he'd still drag Little Mix's name into these nonsense threads. Got to be the most frustrating poster ever.
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    I'm not too sure if there's really a place in the market for many of 2012's contestants? Yes James's winners single was a hit but that could always end up being a one-hit wonder. Imo there are already acts bigger and better covering his market. Goes without saying the same for Union J as well (and I never thought I'd catch myself complimenting One Direction in any capacity whilst I still live and breathe!). I suppose the music, and more importantly for X Factor alumni the sales, will speak for itself.
  • 19921992 Posts: 4,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And, y'know, there's the fact it's post-album (have you managed to learn what that means yet?)

You could tell the OP this until we're blue in the face and he'd still drag Little Mix's name into these nonsense threads. Got to be the most frustrating poster ever.

:D:D:D
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »

I'm not sure the ratings matter too much - Leona's album is by far the best selling and that was at a time before the show became insanely popular. And James did really well with his first single - not often those songs go beyond simply being "the winners single" but that hung around as a genuine hit and even had some international success.

Does anyone keep tracks of LM's sales?
    It's confusing, they seem to be doing OK, maybe not amazingly well, but well enough.

I get the feeling that the X factor acts are never truly established in people's eyes, & it's like people look forward to them failing (some non-X factor fans and even some X factor fans if it's an act they didn't like).

And people seem to have huge expectations in terms of sales from X factor acts, though it's been proven that, while it might make things easier, it's not a garanty of success either.

I have no idea how the class of 2012 will do, I don't really know them because I haven't watched it.
    But I actually agree that the sinking veiwership numbers are a concern. Many viewers don't garanty you sales, but you get a bigger name recognition, and It probably helps.

But with a great song, they could break through (if they don't get snubbed by radios -isn't that where a powerful X factor alum status helps?).
  • PJ RiverPJ River Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Little Mix are 10k away from platinum status in the UK with their album. It's just a matter of a few weeks.
  • Pingu222Pingu222 Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Firstly I wouldn't say Little Mix have had mixed results they've had results reflective of when the singles were released. Change Your Life was a post album single that still got to 12 and has since gone platinum. How Ya Doin' was released on a Wednesday so didn't chart as high but has climbed this week and has the potential to climb slightly again in the coming weeks.

Misha and Amelia are both on smaller labels and so I'd say their lack of "success", especially with their 3rd singles, can partly be put down to that and partly down to the fact that releasing 3 songs before an album is pretty much unheard of these days.

Marcus Collins on the other hand can be classed as a complete fail as a recording artist but he seems to be doing alright in Hairspray and I see that as more of a career path for him anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    Pingu222 wrote: »
    Firstly I wouldn't say Little Mix have had mixed results they've had results reflective of when the singles were released. Change Your Life was a post album single that still got to 12 and has since gone platinum. How Ya Doin' was released on a Wednesday so didn't chart as high but has climbed this week and has the potential to climb slightly again in the coming weeks.

Misha and Amelia are both on smaller labels and so I'd say their lack of "success", especially with their 3rd singles, can partly be put down to that and partly down to the fact that releasing 3 songs before an album is pretty much unheard of these days.

Marcus Collins on the other hand can be classed as a complete fail as a recording artist but he seems to be doing alright in Hairspray and I see that as more of a career path for him anyway.

CYL has gone platinum in Australia, in the UK I don't think it's been certified anything yet.

I heard that Marcus was gonna put out another album, I was actually rather surprised there will be one, nice to see he's doing fine though. His second single Mercy could've been a hit if handled better, don't know what's gone wrong for him...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    they better learn with 2010 class.
  • casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    annushka wrote: »
    Does anyone keep tracks of LM's sales?
    It's confusing, they seem to be doing OK, maybe not amazingly well, but well enough.

This is what I've found over at Buzzjack and the person who estimates is usually within 300 copies so I trust the estimation.

Wings - 423,500 (as of Feb. 19)
    DNA - 215,000 (as of Feb. 19)
    Change Your Life - 116,500 (as of April 7)
    How Ya Doin? - 15,000 (official as of last week)

Little Mix - DNA (album) - 290,200 (as of last week)

And just for kicks

BILLBOARD HOT DIGITAL SONGS - TOP 200
    (billboard chart date 4th May 2013)
    LITTLE MIX WINGS 164,089

Sony hasnt applied for any certifications from BPI even though Wings is Gold and DNA Silver. I suspect they are waiting for the album to hit Platinum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think James Arthur will do very well. At least Olly Murs success, if not more. UJ did well with their pre orders so that's an encouraging sign and have a lot planned for the rest of the year. Ella, Jahmene and Lucy I'm not sure on. They don't seem to have much buzz about them anymore. I guess it will all depend on the quality of the songs.
  • Pingu222Pingu222 Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    nooneoo wrote: »
    CYL has gone platinum in Australia, in the UK I don't think it's been certified anything yet.

I actually did mean to write in Australia but was doing something else whilst typing that and forgot haha thanks for clarifying.
  • DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're not a 'class' sounds stupid saying.

Anyway, of course the 2012 lot arnt going to do well it's Baloney, Jahmane and James zero appeal Arfa.