OE won't let me open an attachment.

DunnroaminDunnroamin Posts: 2,437
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I received an email from a trusted sender which contains an attachment of a document I need to complete and return. Unfortunately the email page has a panel showing a paper clip and the message: OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail: Personal - Title of the document. Try as I might, I cannot see how to override this rule. I have tried "opening" the email in various locations without success, usually with the message that it is the wrong kind of file. Can abyone suggest how I can override the block on this particular attachment. I am using XP SP3. Thanks, D.

Comments

• tealadytealady Posts: 26,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Access the email by webmail to see what the attachment is.

Also consider that Outlook maybe correct and file is some form of malware.
  • DunnroaminDunnroamin Posts: 2,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Access the email by webmail to see what the attachment is.

Also consider that Outlook maybe correct and file is some form of malware.

I know what the attachment is, and I know it is completely safe. The trouble seems to be that my email setup doesn't know this, and treats it as possible malware. I need to find out how to unblock it
  • Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You may be able to get round it - highlight the e-mail and click forward and then you may be able to click the attachment and open it - its all controlled by the advance tab if you can reach it - I don't have OE any longer so cant give you the correct sequence

have a read at http://email.about.com/od/outlookexpresssecurity/Outlook_Express_Tips_Tricks_and_Secrets_for_Your_Email_Security.htm
  • cat's whiskascat's whiskas Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got OE on my XP machine. Try:
    Tools/Options/Security tab
    then uncheck the "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus"
    Check it again after you have saved the file
  • DunnroaminDunnroamin Posts: 2,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got OE on my XP machine. Try:
    Tools/Options/Security tab
    then uncheck the "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus"
    Check it again after you have saved the file

Thank you for that, it worked a treat. I did look in Security before I posted my problem, but I failed to spot the checked option your directed me to. So - once again, thanks. D.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunnroamin wrote: »
    I know what the attachment is, and I know it is completely safe. The trouble seems to be that my email setup doesn't know this, and treats it as possible malware. I need to find out how to unblock it

So, what is it?

OE will block things like MS Access MDB files which are only potentially harmless due to macros etc.
  • cat's whiskascat's whiskas Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunnroamin wrote: »
    Thank you for that, it worked a treat. I did look in Security before I posted my problem, but I failed to spot the checked option your directed me to. So - once again, thanks. D.

Its a pleasure, glad it worked :)