Options

Good 'Thrillers'?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Johnbee wrote: »
    The best I have seen in the last ten years is 'Hidden'.

It's in French, but don't let that put you off.

Another is the original verstion of '13 Tzameti'. Don't bother with the Hollywood remake, they toned it down for the US market. Don't read any reviews or even look on the box, it will be a huge spoil.. The less you know the better.

What an third? I quite like 'Timecrimes'. Another foreign language one, but you miss out a lot if you refuse for that reason.

I'll definitely give them a look.

I've actually known people who have declined to watch a film because it wasn't in English. Talk about lazy! Some of my favourite thrillers have been watched with subtitles... Das Leben der Anderen, Die Welle, Das Experiment, Oldboy, Martyrs (brutal!).
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The French Connection
    The Killers - both versions.
    Headhunters (brilliant Norwegian film (2012)
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Johnbee wrote: »
    The best I have seen in the last ten years is 'Hidden'.

It's in French, but don't let that put you off.
    Always thought it more a psychological drama, but it does have strong elements of a thriller both structurally and thematically.

Possibly my favourite film of the new millenium, and certainly one not to miss.

Timecrimes also a winner, btw.
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Cape Fear (the remake - yep, I know that will rile some people, but I thought it was better than the original, apart from the OTT ending).

The Conversation
    39 Steps (Hitchcock version)
    Rear Window(Hitchcock version)
    North By Northwest
    Sleuth(Original version)
  • Options
    gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    The French Connection
    The Killers - both versions.
    Headhunters (brilliant Norwegian film (2012)

Another vote for Headhunters here. Best thriller I've seen in a LONG time.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Pacific Heights. It was lost under the hype of Silence of the Lambs but for me it's the superior thriller. Keaton's best work.

i love this

caused so much trouble at home, when my wife was engrossed, and I missed a bit, and asked to explain what had happened. :)

at the time melanie griffith was one of my favourites (working girl)
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, in case you'd like a suggestion from me that is in English, it occurs to me that you might not have seen Gloria.

I mean the original, not the remake, though I have not seen that I assume the original is better. The one directed by Cassavetes. You'll like it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Asphalt Jungle or The Killing. 2 real good thrillers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Game. A 1997 psychological thriller directed by David Fincher and starring Michael Douglas. One of the best works from either if you ask me.

I also really enjoyed Black Swan. A stunning and literally award winning performance from Natalie Portman.