10MB Double Speed?

I'm on 10mb with no problems (as long as it's before 4:30pm:rolleyes:) Checked upgrade site this morning and find my area was upgraded in January. I phoned Virgin and spoke to India who transferred me to Scotland. This guy told me "Yes, you are due a double speed upgrade from 10-20mb but will need a superhub to proceed, which will be delivered next week with no charge."
At present I have an Ambit Modem with D-Link Router for my desktop and a wireless laptop with a NetGear Range Extender which gives me excellent reception all over house/garden. My question is, "Do I really need to change to a superhub or will the 20mb be ok with my present set-up?

Many Thanks.

Comments

• -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    Possibly not for 20 but you will for 30 which is what you should get when you receive the hub.
  • dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just put the super hub into modem mode and plug your d -link router into it
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just get the Superhub, it isn't going to cost you anything and put it on the Modem mode and continue to use your existing set-up.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the Ambit modem would work for 20M.

Did you get a letter offering to get a free upgrade to 30M after you get the Superhub? If so it may be worth getting the Superhub and asking about this, I just phoned up and they did it. As suggetsed putting the Superhub into modem mode may be a good idea, that's what I did.
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    I thought the Ambit modem would work for 20M.

Did you get a letter offering to get a free upgrade to 30M after you get the Superhub? If so it may be worth getting the Superhub and asking about this, I just phoned up and they did it. As suggetsed putting the Superhub into modem mode may be a good idea, that's what I did.

It should do, it has a maximum speed of 20Mb.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Thanks to everybody for their replies and here is the update.
    I phoned Virgin and spoke with customer care. I asked if I could be upgraded free from 20 to 30meg as I had now received their hub? Yes, was the reply, at a cost of an extra £3.75p per month and sign a new 12month contract for all my services". I declined and then spoke to her line manager who confirmed this as fact. No way would either accept that other customers had received this free. So for now, it's 20meg.
  • Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...then you must be a BB M customer, not a BB L customer. You are only entitled to 20Mb for the price you are paying.

Regards, a BB M customer.

PS I have an Ambit 256 and it's fine for 20Mb. Perhaps you should not have been given a Superhub.
  • BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    Ernie_C wrote: »
    PS I have an Ambit 256 and it's fine for 20Mb.
    Customers with a 250, 255 or 256 modems certainly shouldn't get offered a SuperHub for going up to 20Mbit

However there some older Ambit modems out there that would need to be swapped
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have you tried rebooting the modem to see if it picks up the new config file? as they won't force the upgrade as it requires a reboot and no matter what time of the day or night they try to do it people will complain