Does anyone else miss the 'old school' Dance music?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was browsing on Spotify tonight and I came across an album full of big club hits from the past (2000-2006) and I listened and remembered these:

Freeloaders vs the Real Thing - So Much Love to Give
Supermode - Tell Me Why
Sunset Strippers - Falling Stars
Sunblock vs Robin Beck - First Time
Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me

These tracks reminded me of being a child and I recall joining secondary school around when these songs were in the charts... It's funny when you see just how much Dance music has changed mainstream.

It used to be the likes of these and now it's very different with stuff like Swedish House Mafia, Afrojack, Disclosure, Avicii etc :sleep:

Comments

• kyleeekyleee Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Love oldschool dance...
    Nightcrawlers - push the feeling on
    Robin s - show me love
    Bucketheads - the bomb
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't consider these "old school", since they were popular when I was in senior school. I'm not THAT old! :D

But yeah, I think the past (especially around 2003-2007) had better dance music today. Now people release dance songs because it's the most popular genre in the mainstream. Pop stars release dance songs to get #1. And you can release any old song, which results in lots of lazy and boring dance songs making the chart...

Supermode are actually Swedish House Mafia without Sebastian Ingrosso. But I love Tell Me Why too, it's brilliant. September used the sample in Cry For You as well.

I liked Falling Stars too. And I also liked Cabin Crew's version.

I do like some of the dance music today though. Disclosure's songs are awesome. Swedish House Mafia are good as well, it's just Don't You Worry Child and Save the World that I don't like. They're so soppy. But I like their songs Miami 2 Ibiza and Antidote.

I think 2009-2011 were the absolute worst years for dance music. Absolutely horrific. It's gotten a bit better recently imo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Yeah same, wouldn't consider these old school, ols school is more 90s dance music. The freeloaders song is still on my ipod, such a classic. I miss the 90s stuff, but then i wasnt going to clubs around then as i wasnt old enough, but have loads of old school classics on my ipod. New dance music is great though, if you ever go to creamfields festival or something like that you get to hear all sorts of dance music, and the technology these days makes it so easy for djs! daft punk are the best for me, does anyone know which equipment they use to sample?
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was browsing on Spotify tonight and I came across an album full of big club hits from the past (2000-2006) and I listened and remembered these:

Supermode - Tell Me Why

These tracks reminded me of being a child and I recall joining secondary school around when these songs were in the charts... It's funny when you see just how much Dance music has changed mainstream.

It used to be the likes of these and now it's very different with stuff like Swedish House Mafia, Afrojack, Disclosure, Avicii etc :sleep:

as has been pointed out 'old skool' dance is early-mid 90's dance, not that stuff from yesterday (well it seems like it).

i much prefer swedish house mafia, disclosure and avicii (as tim berg) anyday over those tracks you listed 4 of which are re-hashed retro tracks..... sorry.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Yeah same, wouldn't consider these old school, ols school is more 90s dance music. The freeloaders song is still on my ipod, such a classic. I miss the 90s stuff, but then i wasnt going to clubs around then as i wasnt old enough, but have loads of old school classics on my ipod. New dance music is great though, if you ever go to creamfields festival or something like that you get to hear all sorts of dance music, and the technology these days makes it so easy for djs! daft punk are the best for me, does anyone know which equipment they use to sample?

I don't know, but if I had to make an educated guess I'd say Ableton and/or Logic Pro/Pro Tools.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Supermode - Tell Me Why

Hun, those aren't old school or else I am ancient:cry:

I would consider Livin' Joy, Robin S, De' Lacey, N-Trance, Tony Di Bart, etc as "old school"
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    K- klass - Let me show you
    Kym sims - To blind to see
    Frankie knuckles - Tears
    Bizarre Inc. - Playing with knives
    Bass-O-matic - Fascinating rhythm
    Joe smooth - Promised land
    Patti Day - Right before my eyes
    Debbie malone - Rescue me
    Awesome 3 - Dont go
    Rozalla - Everybodys free
    Alison Limerick - Where love lives
    A man called Adam - Barefoot in the head
    Sterling Void & Paris Brightledge - Its alright
    Raze - Break for love
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Asha - JJ Tribute
    N trance - set you free 1992
    Prodigy - everybody in the place
    Frankie Knuckles - your love
    Green velvet - Flash

So many more i could list.
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    as has been pointed out 'old skool' dance is early-mid 90's dance

Who loves you, and who do you love? The Messiah!

..and continuing with the "90s dance that had drops from scifi movies in them" theme:

Antiloop - Purpose in Life
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, Cathy Dennis *swoon*

Whatever happened to her?
  • CaptainblondeCaptainblonde Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    jeff_vader wrote: »
    Ah, Cathy Dennis *swoon*

Whatever happened to her?

Massively successful and in-demand songwriter - Kylie's "Can't get you out of my head" is one of many
  • Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    The last really truly brilliant dance year for me was 2000, although 2001-2003 are a sort of silver age - the stuff in the charts was a little poppier but still pretty great.

Saying that I think the stuff made from about 2010 onwards has been better than most of the mid-late noughties. Would much rather listen to Swedish House Mafia/Nero/Disclosure than the repetitive 80s-sampling looped house that dominated around eight years ago!
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Hun, those aren't old school or else I am ancient:cry:

I would consider Livin' Joy, Robin S, De' Lacey, N-Trance, Tony Di Bart, etc as "old school"

I'm even more ancient as old school for me means Caister Anthems :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last really truly brilliant dance year for me was 2000, although 2001-2003 are a sort of silver age - the stuff in the charts was a little poppier but still pretty great.

Saying that I think the stuff made from about 2010 onwards has been better than most of the mid-late noughties. Would much rather listen to Swedish House Mafia/Nero/Disclosure than the repetitive 80s-sampling looped house that dominated around eight years ago!

agreed :)
  • CeeOCeeO Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything pre-2000 seems to be labelled 'Old School' these days. I miss the 'Old School' sound of UK Garage during the 95-2000 period and also I'm a huge fan of 80s soul and funk I guess the 'dance music' of it's time.
  • ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Supermode - Tell Me Why

When you said Old School I thought you meant songs from round about 1991/'92.

The only version of 'Somebody's watching me' by Rockwell I know came out in 1984 which is about 20 years before the era you're talking about. Obviously there must have been a remix of it.

Do you think music has really changed that much in the past 5 - 10 years. I don't think it has.
    If you played me a dance song or any song for that matter that was recorded in say 2003 which was 10 years ago, and I'd never ever heard that song before, then you played me a song that was recorded in 2013 and I'd never heard that before either and you asked me to guess which song sounds older I'd probably wouldn't know because music has changed very little over the past 10 years.

I went to school in the 80s and if you played 2 songs that I'd never heard before - one from 1980, one from 1990 I could tell you EXACTLY which was the older song.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Now normally I'm a rock fan and hated the rave era, but your comments about 2000 dance music are well right. At this time Britpop was dead and buried, the next generation of rock acts like Limp Bizkit were a year off, and the alternatives to dance music were banal pop and garage. Dance was the only deal in town as it had thrown off this cheesy, naff image it had developed in the mid nineties and in terms of production values, the quality of the music and the anthems it was top dog. However, by 2002 the music form was in decline, a few years later dance is dead comments were common on forums, and a new generation of rock bands had got me back to guitars.
  • SpencerLeveySpencerLevey Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.

I loved Let Me Think About It when it got released.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Urban Cookie Collective - The Key, The Secret
    Rozalla - Everybody's Free
    N-Trance - Forever
    Rachel MacFarlane - Lover
    Filo & Peri Feat, Eric Lumiere - Anthem
    Sash - Stay
    Rui Da Silva - Touch Me
    Nalin and Kane - Beachball
    Love Inc - Your'e a Superstar
    Loleatta Holloway - Love Sensation 06' (The Dead Stereo Mix is pretty awesome too)
    Ian Van Dahl - Castles in the Sky & Will I
    Corona - Rhythm of the Night
    Kelly Llorenna - Tell it to my heart

And many many more.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ItsNick wrote: »
    When you said Old School I thought you meant songs from round about 1991/'92.

The only version of 'Somebody's watching me' by Rockwell I know came out in 1984 which is about 20 years before the era you're talking about. Obviously there must have been a remix of it.

Do you think music has really changed that much in the past 5 - 10 years. I don't think it has.
    If you played me a dance song or any song for that matter that was recorded in say 2003 which was 10 years ago, and I'd never ever heard that song before, then you played me a song that was recorded in 2013 and I'd never heard that before either and you asked me to guess which song sounds older I'd probably wouldn't know because music has changed very little over the past 10 years.

I went to school in the 80s and if you played 2 songs that I'd never heard before - one from 1980, one from 1990 I could tell you EXACTLY which was the older song.

you make a very good point about music not progressing..
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Now normally I'm a rock fan and hated the rave era, but your comments about 2000 dance music are well right. At this time Britpop was dead and buried, the next generation of rock acts like Limp Bizkit were a year off, and the alternatives to dance music were banal pop and garage. Dance was the only deal in town as it had thrown off this cheesy, naff image it had developed in the mid nineties and in terms of production values, the quality of the music and the anthems it was top dog. However, by 2002 the music form was in decline, a few years later dance is dead comments were common on forums, and a new generation of rock bands had got me back to guitars.

UK garage, not garage m8... is a form of dance anyway and i like it! imho it was the last of the great british movements. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    to answer the op's question, no, i dont miss old skool dance...i miss original fresh dance material. ok, imho dance has picked up abit, the mid 00's seemed to be dominated by raiding retroland and putting a dance beat over the track/sample (as the op's list post #1 highlights), i disliked that...it was lazy and only served to stifle dance music. that sort of crap shouldnt be accepted, new original material should.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    90s old skool and early 2000s was definitely the best for dance! 3 of my favourites. ..

Dee Dee-Forever
    Alice Deejay-Better Off Alone
    Matt Darey/Marcella Woods-Beautiful
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do love the Old Skool and the places I went (Berwick Manor, Braintree Barn, a few weekends like Camber Sands etc) but I do still like some of the newer music (D&B, Nu Skool Breaks, Dubstep etc).
  • Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it's not exactly old school since it's early 00's but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Dannii Minogue. I remember I Begin To Wonder and Who Do You Love Now were awesome tunes :p
  • ScooterwolfScooterwolf Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »

I think 2009-2011 were the absolute worst years for dance music. Absolutely horrific. It's gotten a bit better recently imo.

ATB, AVB and Dash Berlin off the top of my head were knocking out quality tracks/remixes and albums during those years, they are just not commercially accepted over here though for some reason.