blue jasmine

The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
Forum Member
✭✭
I went to see this because, well you have to give everything a chance don't you.

Oscar winning performance from Cate Blanchett and wonderful direction from Woody Allen but man alive i was bored off my tits.

Ill stick to films with big guns and nob jokes in future, i go every week to the cinema but im just not cultured enough for this.

Comments

• manderleymanderley Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sack wrote: »
    I went to see this because, well you have to give everything a chance don't you.

Oscar winning performance from Cate Blanchett and wonderful direction from Woody Allen but man alive i was bored off my tits.

Ill stick to films with big guns and nob jokes in future, i go every week to the cinema but im just not cultured enough for this.

Im sorry you did not enjoy Blue Jasmine, I absolutely loved it. I am biased as I am a lifelong Woody Allen fan but he is an acquired taste. His films rarely make any money but all the top actors are always eager to work with him.

I don't enjoy movies which are all explosions, car chases etc but we are all different. At least you gave it a try. :)
  • LMLM Posts: 63,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really really want to see this. It's my type of film. Plus i adore Sally Hawkins who plays the lead character's sister. It's great to see her finally getting noticed in the US with big roles like this.

Cate Blanchett is pretty the front runner to pick up Best actress next year and normally the early front runners are sometimes the eventual winners as Natalie Portman and Jennifer Lawerence were.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jennifer Lawrence wasn't really a front runner, most people had Jessica Chastain down for it until Silver Linings was shown at the Toronto Film Festival, and many thought Emanuelle Riva would win even right up until the winner was announced. But Natalie Portman definitely was a dead cert, as were the likes of Sandra Bullock, Reese Witherspoon, Helen Mirren and Kate Winslet (even though no-one knew what movie she'd actually be nominated for that year!)

Cate Blanchett is wonderful in Blue Jasmine, so if she wins she'll deserve it in my opinion. Looks as if it might be a nominees list full of past winners.

The movie itself is great, though about 15 minutes too long. And Sally Hawkins is excellent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jennifer Lawrence was always a front runner for best actress. I remember very well hearing as early as June/July. You would be suprised what you find when you type in oscar contenders all year round and Jennifer was always the front runner. For a small time, it slipped to Jessica. And not many people thought Emanuelle would win anyway, it was only because of BAFTA win that she had a tiny tiny tiny chance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dvd screener is finally out
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After just watching Blue Jasmine, i am actually speechless and stunned at the performance of Cate. She delivers such a tour de force performance. It's just made me go wow, and it makes you appreciate such fantastic actng. I can see why she is the fav for best actress and she bloody deserves it. She really does
  • Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    Have just watched this and agree with the comments about Cate Blanchett - she is superb in this.

I'm a Woody Allen fan but this is not his greatest and think it's Cate's performance that lifted this film to good as opposed to average.

Definitely worth a watch for Cate.

As Woody's recent films go I prefer Midnight in Paris over this.
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed the film immensely when I saw it back in September, yet despite the relatively short running time, I was exhausted afterwards. This is probably down to the inevitable fatigue of being around a character like Jasmine, whom I found insufferable.

Blanchett's performance was undeniably magnificent, and I think she's the only dead cert in the acting categories for this year's awards season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched this days ago and I still can't get Cate's performance out of my head. Just incredible. I think i may re-watch it
  • TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Jennifer Lawrence wasn't really a front runner, most people had Jessica Chastain down for it until Silver Linings was shown at the Toronto Film Festival, and many thought Emanuelle Riva would win even right up until the winner was announced. But Natalie Portman definitely was a dead cert, as were the likes of Sandra Bullock, Reese Witherspoon, Helen Mirren and Kate Winslet (even though no-one knew what movie she'd actually be nominated for that year!)

This is not true. People thought Jessica Chastain was actually a supporting character in ZDT until they said she was lead in November and was on no radars at all in lead. And Lawrence was the front runner right up until the envelope was opened. Chastain and Riva both challenged (Chastain in December/before the nominations came out and Riva post-BAFTA), but the one to beat was always Lawrence.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,158
    Forum Member
    I just watched this film I didn't think I would enjoy it but I did. Cate's performance was awesome, I'll be very surprised if she doesn't pick up Oscar.