New Sky HD EPG Single Feed Mode Doesn't Work.

Comments

• Analogue110Analogue110 Posts: 3,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My reasoning for saying overnight, is Sky saying that if you enable anytime, you loose some EPG info. As anytime loads at night, then it is resonable to assume that some EPG info does as well.
    I would check your settings again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    My reasoning for saying overnight, is Sky saying that if you enable anytime, you loose some EPG info. As anytime loads at night, then it is resonable to assume that some EPG info does as well.

The setting he needs to change is Auto Standby, however for some reason this causes other issues for him.

desserts wrote: »
    Which bit of I meet all those conditions and my EPG at the minute stops at 1AM Saturday do I need to explain again?

As me and others have said, easy fix, reboot the box now and it will come back to life and leave the box in standby overnight. Slight more complex fix is to get a second feed from the dish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I know it does Charles, its because he wants to use a dummy record setup to get the clash messeges and that is why he has problems with Auto standby. For Single feed to work you have to just go with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member

Anytime is most definitely off - I think this needs fixing.

There is nothing in Sky's single feed literature that says I have to turn my box off to get the EPG to work.

Charles - another cable from the dish is not possible - the loft conversions I live in are pre-wired under the floor. Another cable would have to go round the walls and is not likely to be permitted by the landlord. We are Grade 2 listed so I can't install a dish. Oh the joys of city living!!!

Chris
    Forum Member
    ..to get the clash messeges

I do agree that Sky need to fix the Clash Messages as a mater of urgency other wise the box is bordering on "not fit for purpose" especially if sky start marketing/actively selling it as single feed capable - that is one of the minimum requirements of a PVR IMO
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think, you can get two sets of signals down one cable but it is expensive, I cant remember the name of the thing you use, but no doubt someone will

It's a stacker / de stacker. It also requires a good quality cable and perferably a short run of cable.
    Forum Member

Don't know if they can do much in that regard, they advise users to turn it off but allow them to turn it back on if they want at the expense of EPG data - in the end of the day it is a user choice thing. (I know that this is not the issue you are having)
    There is nothing in Sky's single feed literature that says I have to turn my box off to get the EPG to work.

Think they may need to add that to the documentation then.
    Charles - another cable from the dish is not possible - the loft conversions I live in are pre-wired under the floor. Another cable would have to go round the walls and is not likely to be permitted by the landlord. We are Grade 2 listed so I can't install a dish. Oh the joys of city living!!!

That's a tough one - as you say not much you can do to get a second feed.
    Forum Member
    CharlesC wrote: »
    Don't know if they can do much in that regard, they advise users to turn it off but allow them to turn it back on if they want at the expense of EPG data - in the end of the day it is a user choice thing. (I know that this is not the issue you are having)

Think they may need to add that to the documentation then.

That's a tough one - as you say not much you can do to get a second feed.

Can't wait til you start a thread with a bad problem and I can sit on it all day sayin that's too hard for them to fix!! ;)

Chris
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Chris

Try setting it up tonight in single feed mode, default settings, autostandby on. there is nothing in the stuff from sky because they assume you will have your box instandby when not in use, by autostandy or doing it yourself.
    Forum Member
    Can't wait til you start a thread with a bad problem and I can sit on it all day sayin that's too hard for them to fix!! ;)

I know it may seem that's what I am doing - but rest assured it not meant that way and is not intentional :)

I am trying to be realistic - it would be easy to say that "oh yes it's easy to fix that" but would be giving you fasle hope - I do think they have work to do on the single feed behaviour otherwise, as I said in a previous post, they could face the charge of "not fit for purpose" from single feed users.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ProDave wrote: »
    It's a stacker / de stacker. It also requires a good quality cable and perferably a short run of cable.

Yeah thats it.

@desserts.
    Looks like your real problem is with your landlord and whoever installed your dish system.
    Forum Member
    CharlesC wrote: »
    I know it may seem that's what I am doing - but rest assured it not meant that way and is not intentional :)

I am trying to be realistic - it would be easy to say that "oh yes it's easy to fix that" but would be giving you fasle hope - I do think they have work to do on the single feed behaviour otherwise, as I said in a previous post, they could face the charge of "not fit for purpose" from single feed users.

I was probably expecting too much when I saw they were gonna give us our own setting! Silly me expecting it to actually work! Hopefully while (if) they are in there changing things they can test this scenario before they release it!

Chris
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ProDave wrote: »
    No we are not at odds:

OLD EPG (or probably new one as well) if setting the box to DUAL feed and using a dummy recording to fool it into working with single feed, you must leave the box ON

NEW EPG set to single feed mode, you MUST turn it to standby or else the recordings will fail.

Is that a peculiarity of the HD boxes or just the new EPG or just your box then - on Sky+ boxes the dummy method happily works in standby and have had no previous reports when posting the method back from other users that HD boxes must be left turned on as my instructions clearly stated that it worked in standby. I have been posting that method now for nearly two years in several forums, including both the sky+ and Sky HD forums here without that being previously reported back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As there are so few new EPG boxes about as yet, and even fewer using single feed mode, this is a bit "suck it and see" so if the box works with standard settings, it may be possible to proceed further with dummy record settings, we'll have to see.
    Forum Member
    Is that a peculiarity of the HD boxes or just the new EPG or just your box then - on Sky+ boxes the dummy method happily works in standby and have had no previous reports when posting the method back from other users that HD boxes must be left turned on as my instructions clearly stated that it worked in standby. I have been posting that method now for nearly two years in several forums, including both the sky+ and Sky HD forums here without that being previously reported back.

See http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=31778226&postcount=62
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That is still not clear whether you are referring to the old or new EPG. As I say I have been posting this method for over two years and have had no previous reports whatsoever that the HD box needs leaving switched on. If you are talking about the old EPG then is this a problem with your particular box. I find it slightly unlikely that the Sky+ software differs that much between the Sky+ and the Sky+ HD when a Sky+ works from either standby or off.

I do have an HD box now on the old EPG so will try this myself early next week.
    Forum Member
    That is still not clear whether you are referring to the old or new EPG. As I say I have been posting this method for over two years and have had no previous reports whatsoever that the HD box needs leaving switched on. If you are talking about the old EPG then is this a problem with your particular box. I find it slightly unlikely that the Sky+ software differs that much between the Sky+ and the Sky+ HD when a Sky+ works from either standby or off.

I do have an HD box now on the old EPG so will try this myself early next week.

Dave,

With my method of permanent dummy recordings, if I switch the box off, are playing a recording or are in the EPG at the time one dummy ends and the other dummy starts, the new dummy is likely to get the working tuner with a feed. If the system is on, live TV has the working feed, and the dummys always get the tuner with no feed.

It is very clear in this thread - I have the new EPG, single feed, single feed mode on, anytime off, auto stand by off.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    How do you get this guide exactly?
    If someone could please post as I haven't got a letter yet from Sky.

Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe someone can tell me where I am going wrong on dual recordings

I have today received a Thomson 4E3011 Thomson box , with the old epg , I am away from home for the next week or so and here I have a quad LNB but only 2 feeds from it .

I have my had Sky+ box set up on both feeds , so I decided today ( until I can get more cable a f plugs ) to put 1 feed into the Sky + box (input 1 ) and the other into the hd box (input 1) the hd box has only a FTV card in it so cannot record but I can view all fta / ftv channels

I went to set up a 24 hour dummy recording in the Sky+ but it says all the existing series links a recordings set for Tommorow ( 7 in total ) will will be cancelled if I set this manual recording ,why does the manual recording take over from set recordings

Do I need to just let the system cancel them all and re input them from the EPG?
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe someone can tell me where I am going wrong on dual recordings

I have today received a Thomson 4E3011 Thomson box , with the old epg , I am away from home for the next week or so and here I have a quad LNB but only 2 feeds from it .

I have my had Sky+ box set up on both feeds , so I decided today ( until I can get more cable a f plugs ) to put 1 feed into the Sky + box (input 1 ) and the other into the hd box (input 1) the hd box has only a FTV card in it so cannot record but I can view all fta / ftv channels

I went to set up a 24 hour dummy recording in the Sky+ but it says all the existing series links a recordings set for Tommorow ( 7 in total ) will will be cancelled if I set this manual recording ,why does the manual recording take over from set recordings

Do I need to just let the system cancel them all and re input them from the EPG?

Interesting question , when I tried this out on the old EPG recently I got the same results , I thought it was just me getting confuddled

It would be good if someone wrote a complete fools guide to 1 feed and dummy recordings , step by step and the pitfalls to look out for

Anyone ? :)
    Forum Member
    Hi guys,

I think this is Sky's dodgy disk space management. If you have two recordings set all should be fine. I assume it is warning you that there is not enough space on your disk for a 24 hour recording without deleteing something.

Try setting 12 hour dummys to take half the disk space - it will let you set two ok. If you really mean it is cancelling future recordings it shouldn't if there are two in total.

Regards,
    Chris
  • russdprussdp Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    Taep wrote: »
    I tested the single feed recording last night I recorded two programmes back to back on History HD, the first one recorded and the second one failed :confused::confused:

The box was in standby too.

Yes, thank you!
    Someone who has all the default 'Single Feed Mode' settings like myself and what do you know.... it doesn't work.

Even with the box in standby it still seems to be completely random with what it will and won't record.

I'm considering switching Anytime back on as at least that managed to record programs overnight when the box was on standby.

Has anyone been in contact with Sky yet with regards to this defect?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I got the new EPG this morning and have one feed. I've been using the dummy set-up with no problems since install (January this year). I followed the instructions on the Sky website - I have the one feed connected to input 1, chose single feed option and the box rebooted. I then tried a few things.

First, I set up two recordings on different channels at different times, both of which worked whilst I was watching something else on my planner. However, when I set something else and stayed on a different channel, it did not turn over, so that recording would fail.

I then tried to set one thing to record and tried recording something else at the same time. Both set to record, with no warning of a clash. There was only a clash warning when I tried to record a third thing, so the box was behaving like it still had two feeds.

The next thing I did was leave the box in standby to see how the afternoon's recordings would work whilst I out. I got home and two of the three had worked. Two of the things I set were series linked episodes of The Office. The first one recorded, the second one failed. Malcolm In The Middle on Sky1 later recorded.

I have the recording settings for it to record a minute before and after the recorded time, so I can only assume the second one failed because the box was trying to use input 2 to record the second episode and no signal resulted in a failure.

There is clearly a problem with the single feed option related to clash warnings and how it deals with clashes. From all I've seen so far, the box is still acting as if it has two feeds.

I'm going to try the manual recording set up again. The option for manual recording is still available on the new EPG, so I can't understand why it would suddenly not possible to set up dummy recordings that repeat each day. I was hoping to see the end of them, but they worked.
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mondo75 wrote: »
    I got the new EPG this morning and have one feed. I've been using the dummy set-up with no problems since install (January this year). I followed the instructions on the Sky website - I have the one feed connected to input 1, chose single feed option and the box rebooted. I then tried a few things.

First, I set up two recordings on different channels at different times, both of which worked whilst I was watching something else on my planner. However, when I set something else and stayed on a different channel, it did not turn over, so that recording would fail.

I then tried to set one thing to record and tried recording something else at the same time. Both set to record, with no warning of a clash. There was only a clash warning when I tried to record a third thing, so the box was behaving like it still had two feeds.

The next thing I did was leave the box in standby to see how the afternoon's recordings would work whilst I out. I got home and two of the three had worked. Two of the things I set were series linked episodes of The Office. The first one recorded, the second one failed. Malcolm In The Middle on Sky1 later recorded.

I have the recording settings for it to record a minute before and after the recorded time, so I can only assume the second one failed because the box was trying to use input 2 to record the second episode and no signal resulted in a failure.

There is clearly a problem with the single feed option related to clash warnings and how it deals with clashes. From all I've seen so far, the box is still acting as if it has two feeds.

I'm going to try the manual recording set up again. The option for manual recording is still available on the new EPG, so I can't understand why it would suddenly not possible to set up dummy recordings that repeat each day. I was hoping to see the end of them, but they worked.

Read this , it may help ?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=31781961&postcount=66
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your help, Coopermanyorks, but that link was to an entry essentially linking the problems people are having with the single feed mode and how it should behave. All the best for helping, though. :)

Last night, just to try something, I left the box on single feed mode and set several recordings, one a dummy recording for 12 hours, and three other recordings - two back-to-back on the same channel (E4) and another recording several hours later on a different channel (Sky Arts 1).

I got up this morning to find all three had worked and the dummy recording is still there. I'd say this clearly proves the single feed work in its current form does not work. And this thread does seem to indicate its a problem across the board.

Those with only one feed, it's maybe worth setting up dummy recordings again and seeing if that makes a difference. Hardly ideal, but I'd like to do all I can to protect any recordings I set, particularly as I record a lot of things back-to-back - something single feed mode seems to struggle with. I've also written to Sky. If we all do that, they'll maybe get to work fixing this problem.