Can anyone recommend a good sander for door frames/skirting boards?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,043
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm having new carpets fitted this Friday, and over the weekend I suddenly had a daft idea to strip off old gloss paint from all the door frames and skirting boards so I could varnish them!

So I used a heat paint stripper thinking that'll do.. but it looks awful.. so I tried to sand it down with my standard 'Orbital Sander' but it's useless!!

I need to get 7 door frames and a whole load of skirting boards sanded down, varnished and dried by Thursday evening!!

So.. can anyone recommend a decent sander that will get the job finished quickly and look good too? type? or do I need a miracle?!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    Have you tried the paint stripper that you paint on? it softens the paint right up and you can scrape it off, then you would need to sand it afterwards. It's a messy job though and you don't want to get the stuff on your skin. I've used it before with success though only on a small window frame and sill, you've taken on quite a task. :eek:

Something like this

Even do a less mess version : http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/sp-2-10191-82406-polycell-less-mess-paint-stripper-500ml.asp
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

Yep I've stripped all the paint off, just need to sand it down now, but not sure of the best sander to buy.

I did actually try the paint on stripper first... it wasn't that greta though.. it only did it in parts and all the paint fell down wet on my carpet and wouldn't come up! So I had to go over it with the heat stripper and do the rest of it that way too.

Thanks anyway!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black and Decker do a 'mouse' detail sander which would probably fit your needs - assuming that you don't have elaborate skirting boards with nooks and crannies everywhere. If you are just looking to sand it down having got rid of all the paint, i'd be tempted to use a flexible sanding block. I don't think it'd be much slower and you'd have a lot more control over it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    I see, I thought you meant you hadn't got all the paint off yet.

Probably a little belt sander would be most suited, and a bit of elbow grease with some normal sandpaper for any hard to reach bits that the belt sander can't touch.

Something like this.
  • PhredPhred Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get a "mouse" or "Detail" sander. They're both really the same thing.

We have one we bought from Focus a few years ago which has been really paid for itself over the 3 or 4 years we've had it.
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, I started to strip paint off my skirting in the bathroom, and then moved onto the door and the bath panel, it does look nice but its blooming hard work, ive mostly used paint stripper, but ive used tons of the stuff.

Ive got a circular orbital sander which is good on flat surfaces but no good for the skirting boards, and ive got a flat orbital sander that has done a fairly decent job on the skirting boards and door frames.

Ive now got 3 doors left to strip and all the upstairs landing skirting and door frames. It does look really nice but its messy and it takes forever.

Im going to get one of those detail sanders cause im spending a fortune on paint stripper.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got a 'mouse' sander earlier this year - they're great for small areas, & they're not too heavy to hold either. I used it to get rid of paint on our stairs & for our skirting boards, as well as for levelling some plastering that had been done on the walls. :)