What is the Greatest World Record in Sport?

Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I find it difficult to choose:

- Michael Johnson, 400m
- Jonathon Edwards, triple jump
- Usain Bolt, 100m/200m

That's a start. That Edwards record might stand for decades to come.

What would you pick?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bolt 100m.
  • ProvinceProvince Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Florence Griffith-Joyner's 100m WR set in 1988.

I know it is shrouded in controversy but it is my personal favourite WR. I can't see it being legally broken within the next 20 years at least.
  • Greebo.Greebo. Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bubka's two Indoor (6.15m) and outdoor (6.14m) Pole Vault records have been untouched since the early 1990's and will take some beating. No one as yet has even come close to beating them.
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Michael Johnson broke the 200m record I thought it would stand for decades, so Bolt's 200m for me, ever so slightly edging out Edwards triple jump, which is absurdly futher than anyone else has ever gone.
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ty Cobb's career batting average (.367) has now stood for 84 years.
  • Nova21Nova21 Posts: 14,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great question. Edwards I would say. Bolts are both brilliant, but he cold beat them both in the next couple of years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about Inessa Kravets' 15.50m triple jump ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Javier Sotomayors high jump of 2.45 meters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    Nobody outside the UK knows who Edwards is.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Mike Powell - 8.95m Long Jump in 1991

and one for the Brits
    Colin Jackson - 60m Hurdles 7.30s 1994
  • Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's amazing how everyone seems to have a different idea of what the greatest WR is...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Igloo_Man wrote: »
    It's amazing how everyone seems to have a different idea of what the greatest WR is...

You used the word "sport" in the title...i took that to include any sport...not just athletics :)
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bradman 99.94. Head and shoulders above any other record.
  • KezMKezM Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear this might give ITV an idea for a TV show lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bradman 99.94. Head and shoulders above any other record.

Yeah...I tossed up between Cobb and Bradman too :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rebecca Adlington's 8.14.10 for the 800m freestyle. Still standing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You used the word "sport" in the title...i took that to include any sport...not just athletics :)

You misunderstand me. The responses have covered many different competitors - there is no general consensus it seems over which WR is the greatest. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    p2bab wrote: »
    Nobody outside the UK knows who Edwards is.

So? ..
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    You misunderstand me. The responses have covered many different competitors - there is no general consensus it seems over which WR is the greatest. :)
    Did you expect everybody to post the same?
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A random one: Daniel Komen in the 3000m indoor and outdoor, stood since 1996 and 1998 respectively. Komen is an interesting character - showed up sometime in 1996, dominated for 2 years, then disappeared. Even the great Heile Gebreselassie had no answer for him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think we are misunderstanding each other...you used the word "sport" but only suggested records from Athletics...two or three of us are suggesting the greatest records actually come from outside athletics.

Though simply for longevity, within athletics, Johnson's 400 m, is about the only one i would ever suggest for that sport.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Did you expect everybody to post the same?

Of course not. But it goes to show that there are numerous 'superhuman' efforts which people feel is worthy of the title. If you asked a casual sports fan they'd probably automatically say 'Bolt 100m'.
    I think we are misunderstanding each other...you used the word "sport" but only suggested records from Athletics...two or three of us are suggesting the greatest records actually come from outside athletics.

Though simply for longevity, within athletics, Johnson's 400 m, is about the only one i would ever suggest for that sport.

Yes I did use the word 'sport' deliberately to keep the spectrum of world records to choose from wide open. It is very possible that the greatest world record is from outside athletics, those were just a few suggestions that are topical at the moment because of the Olympics being in progress.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As mentioned already, outside athletics, Bradmans batting average
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Javier Sotomayors high jump of 2.45 meters.

At the Olympic Museum in Lausanne you enter via a high jump bar set at 2.45. You cannot conceive just how massive it is.
  • tellyadicttellyadict Posts: 4,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe DiMaggio 56 consecutive game hit streak has never been touched since 1941 and most likely never will be.

Obviously Bolt's but at the moment he could beat it himself. I was going to mention Bubka but had been already.