Famous and well recieved Comedians who you don't 'get' or consider funny

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamsey123 wrote: »
    That guy has been around since atleast the 80s.
    I dont like him personally, but he isnt as bad as most.

That's me told:D

I think I only saw him a few years ago.:o
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Union Jock wrote: »
    Someone here jolted my memory, it's John Bishop.

I can't find him funny as he has a strong resemblance to someone I knew years ago who was also a Liverpudlian and was a really nasty piece of work. Bit unfortunate really. He might be the funniest bloke in the world but when a comedian looks like someone you hate, it's hard to find them funny.
  • Union JockUnion Jock Posts: 7,262
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I can't find him funny as he has a strong resemblance to someone I knew years ago who was also a Liverpudlian and was a really nasty piece of work. Bit unfortunate really. He might be the funniest bloke in the world but when a comedian looks like someone you hate, it's hard to find them funny.

Funny you should say that because his face reminds me of someone too and he was a nasty piece as well.
  • Jamsey123Jamsey123 Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you guys don't like a lot of the comedy on Tv now, Stewart Lee is worth a look at for an alternative form of comedy.
    He isnt some obscure comidiam who is filmed on mobile phones in crappy bars. He has dvds and does tv work on the bcc, he is just on times when many dont see him. Some of his stuff is on youtube and worth a look.

That said I dont mind micheal mcintyre who is the most basic form of comedy as he does have some pretty good material.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Russel Brand (I'm posh and big words are funny when mixed with random cutesey gobbledegook)

Russell Brand is from Thurrock, had a difficult childhood and youth and is anything but posh.

What's wrong with 'big words'?
  • ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    98% of the names on this thread are desperately unfunny with Lee Evans and Russell bloody Howard top of my list. Ben Elton thats another one . Bernard Manning was funnier than Ben Elton ...controversial but true .
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Personally I don't find Lee Evans funny at all and I hardly ever (or never) laugh at Ricky Gervais.

Russell Brand isn't funny in the slightest.

Chris Addison can provide a little chuckle here or there but then I want the Mock The Week team to sort their heads out and stop using him so much.

Gina Yashere and Andi Osho are so unfunny it's unbelievable. They always make jokes about the fact that they're black.

And then there's Zoe Lyons. Sometimes she makes Gina and Andi look good.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »
    I hardly ever (or never) laugh at Ricky Gervais.

Well, it's one or the other, surely!?:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeaCosy wrote: »
    Russell Brand is from Thurrock, had a difficult childhood and youth and is anything but posh.

What's wrong with 'big words'?

Don't get defensive about him, people like him otherwise he wouldnt be a comedian, I personally dont find him funny and you do, I am not gonna have a keybord war over it lol.
  • sibooboosibooboo Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Kaye, Lenny Henry, Victoria Wood.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't stand Alan Carr either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From years ago, I never found Tommy Cooper funny. Or Little and Large.
  • cadscads Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Likewise.

But I will make a special exception to mention that bellend Russell Brand. Who the hell gave him a career?

i have to agree ,im a placid man but i would like to set his hair on fire
  • mummypiggetmummypigget Posts: 12,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leanna1989 wrote: »
    Larry the Cable Guy is not funny. He's just immature and gross. I heard better jokes in Junior High.

And I'm not even sure Larry (real name is Dan Whitney) qualifies as a Redneck. He's from Minnesota and his accent is fake.

Here he is in his early days
    Warning: some cursing
    http://youtu.be/Nqm-vKWEkoU

I find Bill Engvall and Jeff Foxworthy pretty funny. They talk about real-life things and they are much less vulgar than Ron White or Larry. Bill and Jeff also seem to really be themselves, while obviously Larry is a character.

Noooooo don't destroy my image of Mater in the cars films :D seriously though I didn't know he was meant to be a comedian.

I'll give most comics a go as it can't be easy for them and on game shows like Mock the Week I have found quite a few funny, however on Saturday, we watched Andy Parsons on comedy central and it was abysmal :eek: and cringeworthy, the most unfunny thing I'd seen in a while!! The people weren't laughing out loud but the odd spattering of giggles and those that were giggling the "jokes" were pointless. I like the guy and hope he can stick to Mock the Week, he does much better bouncing off the other guys around him in the non scripted parts.
  • Hector RivaHector Riva Posts: 2,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Bishop - Smug ****

I don't mind some Liverpool accents, but his just grates on me and I have to switch over whenever he comes on TV.

Victoria Wood does come across as being a bit miserable at times and it seems like she doesn't really want to do it anymore.

James Corden and Ricky Gervais, one trick ponies.
  • edwinbotedwinbot Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Jo Brand -I'm fat, blah blah blah, I'm fat, blah blah blah

Just don't find her funny after the first 5 minutes and I realised she just has one joke.
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    Frankie Boyle bores me to death. All he does is try to be as controversial as possible, and he tries far too hard. it's dull.

I've never found Ricky Gervais particularly amusing either.

Michael McIntyre can be funny at times, but there's summat about him that makes me want to smack him one.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    That Millican woman.
  • kim1994kim1994 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    Oh some comedians I love to hate:

Chris Addison: Stupid ramblings, not funny
    Russell Howard: It's always "imagine that" or "I had this friend" or "stereotypical dumb northener accent"
    Sarah Millican: She's got no funny at all!
    Frankie Boyle: Most of the time he's good but then he reuses way too much material and recently has tried to be too shocking - which has kind of cost him his career.
    Gene Yashere and Andi Osho - It's always material about being black, WTH?

Ii don't remember Russell Howard doing a northern accent. Lee Evans is OTT and swears so much it distracts from any of the jokes
  • Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Ricky Gervais
    Twonk!
    John Bishop - Smug ****
    Unintelligible.
    That Millican woman.
    Just plain old crap.
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roy 'chubby' Brown.
    Jo '2 jokes' Brand (hate men, cake in case you wondered)
    Russell Brand (except Manuelgate, which I found funny).
    Eddy Izzard - I think he might be quite good, but I can never get into his style.
    AS per OP, Victoria Wood. NOT FUNNY.

edit:

Damm , missed this - thought I got there first
    edwinbot wrote: »

Just don't find her funny after the first 5 minutes and I realised she just has one joke.

Totally agree, except she has the "men" jokes too.
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't stand Lee Evans. I don't think I've met many people who have reached adulthood who do.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    Vic and Bob - guys you are NOT Morecambe and wise

female comedians - with a few exceptions women are not funny
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edwinbot wrote: »

To be fair, inbetween her fat joke she says nasty things about her husband which are, aparently, hilarious every time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't get defensive about him, people like him otherwise he wouldnt be a comedian, I personally dont find him funny and you do, I am not gonna have a keybord war over it lol.

What? I didn't say any of that lol. Didn't say whether I found him funny, didn't say you 'should' find him funny, I wasn't defending him and didn't say I wanted a war about someone else's comedy preferences. I was taking about the mad idea that Brand is posh and I was regretting that anyone should be condemned for using big words.

In fact I would say it's futile to tell someone else what to think about any kind of art or artist when the subject is completely subjective. We like who we like.

BTW I do not find RB very funny.