BBC advertise for a new Freeview HD channel or 3 SD channel closing date 20/12/12

Comments

• poshbakerlooposhbakerloo Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    I want...

CBS Reality
    Home
    E! (although I know that would never happen)
  • xtazxtaz Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    I know it's all down to commercial business sense and who can pony up the most money, but putting SD on a MUX that was set aside for HD is the wrong thing to do. The HD MUX is the flagship of Freeview. Should only be used for HD, and the new slot should only go to a channel that is seen as flagship, such as C5HD, Film4HD, E4HD. Even if they did a timeshare. They could even do a timeshare with the BBC, E4HD during the day, C5HD in the early evening, BBCHD showing BBC3/4 programs in the late evening/night with the current BBCHD channel doing the BBC2 simulcast they were on about.

Any of these options would be better than 3 rubbish SD channels that few people would watch.
  • RestorerRestorer Posts: 2,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Or the proposals did not meet with the BBC's approval (or standards)

Whichever it might be, it does not look particularly promising - but maybe the BBC will be minded to use the space themselves if this advert fails to attract a worthy contender.

I live in hope.

I wonder if this situation is connected with the pushing back to next year of the switch of BBCHD to BBC2HD? I can't really see how but it's strange how quiet they have gone after trumpeting a 2012 launch for the HD simulcast.

Like you I live in hope that they will yet decide to keep BBCHD and still launch BBC2HD. Best of all outcomes IMO.
  • Gary of BeestonGary of Beeston Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do they have to be *new* SD channels though? Are there any existing SD channels that would benefit from a change of Mux? They would only be receiveable on T2 equipment, grant you, but still... just a thought, and we are looking for a credible plan to move everyone to T2, aren't we?

Or is that just the forum inhabitants? :)

Gary
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, as an SD receiver only lass, I'd prefer the spare capacity to be used for another simulcast in HD channel to be on there when The Space waves goodbye.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would The Space disappear? It doesn't take up any space since it's an IP service.
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Why would The Space disappear? It doesn't take up any space since it's an IP service.
    The Space is currently a temporary service. It's only been extended until March 2013. It was originally due to end in the autumn.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do they have to be *new* SD channels though? Are there any existing SD channels that would benefit from a change of Mux? They would only be receiveable on T2 equipment, grant you, but still... just a thought, and we are looking for a credible plan to move everyone to T2, aren't we?

Or is that just the forum inhabitants? :)

Gary
    The joint plan from the BBC, Channel 4 and Arqiva to use some released spectrum for a new T2 mux (with new HD channels) in 2014 is to promote a move to T2, so would there be much point in moving an existing SD channel to the current T2 mux?
  • freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are going to have DSO part2!
  • Gary of BeestonGary of Beeston Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The joint plan from the BBC, Channel 4 and Arqiva to use some released spectrum for a new T2 mux (with new HD channels) in 2014 is to promote a move to T2, so would there be much point in moving an existing SD channel to the current T2 mux?

Not *much* point, but this is Freeview we're talking about :D

I was vaguely thinking of ITV3 and ITV4 which are on COM channels at the moment. Or Film4. Or even ESPN. But, they would have to move from one Mux to the other (since you can't have one LCN pointing to two different streams (at the same time)) which means it would have to be worth their whiles changing to a larger coverage area but with potentially fewer T2 receiver owners. If you follow.

Gary
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt any current SD broadcaster is going to cut-off a large part of their potential viewers by moving to a T2 only mux.
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    I wonder who expressed an interest, even allowing for the xmas break its odd that we have heard nothing.
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prking wrote: »
    I wonder who expressed an interest, even allowing for the xmas break its odd that we have heard nothing.

Who ever has the hours it not available to launch till march 2013.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    Can't BBC WW buy the slot for the continuation of BBC HD they are after all there for the benefit of the licence fee payer.

3 BBC 24hr slots from April 1st would be a massive improvement
    and an indication of the BBC doing what it should
    by providing the best possible for the public that is paying for its existence.
  • mjrmjr Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    Can't BBC WW buy the slot for the continuation of BBC HD they are after all there for the benefit of the licence fee payer.
    No because they're closing BBC HD to save money, as an HD simulcast of BBC 2 is cheaper.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    I'd be pretty pleased if it became FilmFour HD. Be nice to have a regular supply of HD movies on Freeview.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomee wrote: »
    Who ever has the hours it not available to launch till march 2013.

I was under the impression that the space is available now, and has been for some time (after all, that's what was used for the BBC's Olympic Red Button service).
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was under the impression that the space is available now, and has been for some time (after all, that's what was used for the BBC's Olympic Red Button service).

http://www.a516digital.com/2012/12/bbc-re-advertise-freeview-hd-multiplex.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    mjr wrote: »
    No because they're closing BBC HD to save money, as an HD simulcast of BBC 2 is cheaper.

£2.1m per year by the BBC's own estimate.

BBC Worldwide exists to supplement the BBC licence fee through commercial activities. Their ad-funded channels in the UK are not allowed to carry BBC branding so that they are not confused with licence-fee-funded channels. They already have HD versions of Dave, Eden, Good Food, Watch and Alibi. (UKTV is a joint venture between BBC Worldwide and Scripps Networks Interactive: BBC Worldwide holds 50% plus one share, giving it effective control.) Worldwide generated £216m last year, about 6% of licence fee income. Transferring the UK BBC HD channel (there are international versions as well) to Worldwide would give no net benefit unless advertising was added, in which case it couldn't simulcast.

Also, the BBC might be on a bit of a sticky situation with Ofcom. The BBC's licence for Multiplex B says:

"The Authorised Service to be carried in the High Capacity Mode includes the services provided by a Relevant Public Service Broadcaster on any Reserved Capacity together with any service provided by the BBC. Any BBC service so carried will be subject to agreement between the BBC Executive and the BBC Trust and will not have to conform to the Core Proposals. The BBC Executive will issue Ofcom with a notice in writing regarding the nature of the service." (Annex A: Part 2 section 4.) Annex A Part 11 goes on to define what the services in the Reserved Capacity must be.

I'm not sure that wording allows the BBC to carry any other commercial service, so a "BBC Worldwide HD" might have to vacate the space on Mux B anyway. Of course Ofcom can vary the terms of the licence - the text I quoted above is from Variation 24, where they replaced the entire text rather than just performing minor edits. That particular variation was to remove the requirement to carry BBC Red Button video streams on Multiplex B, because they were included in the content proposals when the BBC originally got the licence in 2002 - you can see the sort of legal procedure that's necessary for changing the Freeview line-up in some respects.

(This infuriates Sky, who are allowed only three channels on Multiplex C and none on B or D, and who have to get Arqiva to apply on their behalf if they want to change their three channels, whereas for satellite transmission they merely have to get a Television Licensable Content Service licence which Ofcom are pretty much compelled to issue.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomee wrote: »

So the space is there now, but the slot won't be available until the Spring.

:confused:
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the space is there now, but the slot won't be available until the Spring.

:confused:

I would guess that is just to allow time to examine any expressions of interest from broadcasters and to put the distribution network in place for the new broadcaster.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would agree.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jj20x wrote: »
    I would guess that is just to allow time to examine any expressions of interest from broadcasters and to put the distribution network in place for the new broadcaster.

There's no real distribution required, beyond a circuit (and standby provision etc) from whoever wins the slot, to the BBC C&M centre.

The Beeb assemble the DTT muxes at their C&M centre, and distribute the various regional versions of PSB 1 and 3 from there.

So for instance ITV, STV, UTV and C4 simply send their HD channels to the Beeb, nothing is required from them to the individual Tx sites.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TVPaulD wrote: »
    I'd be pretty pleased if it became FilmFour HD. Be nice to have a regular supply of HD movies on Freeview.
    Considering Channel 4 are putting More 4 HD pay on Sky and E4 HD is also pay, I doubt they'd want Film 4 HD free. It'll be stuck behind a pay wall too.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    There's no real distribution required, beyond a circuit (and standby provision etc) from whoever wins the slot, to the BBC C&M centre..

That could easily take 3 months given some of the telcos ...
    .depending on where the other end is!!!!!
    ... also if the SD options are taken up that would require a bit more work!