2 Broke Girls (E4, UK Pace, No Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It just reminded me of Inbetweeners tbh, if they had made it with girls
  • Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been watching at US pace. My early criticisms were that while Max and Caroline were decent enough, the 3 support characters in the diner (Earl, Han and Oleg) were downright awful at first.

I still hate Han, but Earl and to a lesser extent Oleg have been used a bit better.

Sadly though, I feel the introduction of Coolidge has regressed the show slightly. She is such a one dimensional character that she gets boring fast.

I've said it before but she just seems to be a Polish version of the horrendous guest roles she played in Friends and Sex and the City where the two characters could well have been the same person - a pathetic 'look at me', mutton dressed as lamb type.

I liked her as Stifler Mom in the original American Pie movie, but I'm dreading her appearance 13 years on in the American Reunion movie (which I will watch simply for nostalgic purposes)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't relise how far behind American shows we can get.

I saw the first ep of this in the US in september last year, I was suprised it took so long to get over here.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,579
    Forum Member
    Better that than having to take a three-month break in the middle of it :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't relise how far behind American shows we can get.

I saw the first ep of this in the US in september last year, I was suprised it took so long to get over here.

Thats the trouble with channels like CH4/E4 and the like getting shows, they wait so long to show them where sky show them just after the US show them. Look at the mess E4 has made with this season of big bang theory.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Thats the trouble with channels like CH4/E4 and the like getting shows, they wait so long to show them where sky show them just after the US show them. Look at the mess E4 has made with this season of big bang theory.
    E4 haven't made a mess, and the US took so many breaks that the UK being made to have one was inevitable. And if you're gonna take a break you may as well repeat the whole series, so other people can catch up..
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this last night on E4 as i missed it last Thursday. I really liked it and i know it's only the pilot episode but i preferred it over the pilot of New Girl. I liked the zingy one liners and the crude humour appeals, i like that it can get a little bit dirty at times! ;) (dry vagina and Coldplay lines were great! :D) Kat Dennings and Beth Behrs seemed to have good chemistry and i'll be watching the next few to see if it gets better.

The one thing i thought was really smart was the way it ended when it showed how much they earned that night and put the total at the end of the episode. I imagine they'll be doing this every week adding up both their wages and tips hoping to get to that magical figure of £250k to quit their jobs and start their own cupcake business.

If only they had paired this with New Girl when it launched on Ch4 i think they could have a solid hit on their hands.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I liked it a lot!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    a question to anyone that has watched this,at the US pace. Does Kat Dennings later appear in little, ot at least very tight fitting clothing. With the dull jokes and one note supporting cast (that all seem like refugees from Will and Grace and Carroline in the city), tht's the only reason I could find myself watching again.

...seriously, does she?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    This show gets old fast tbh, the writing is sub-par.
  • AA2009AA2009 Posts: 8,378
    Forum Member
    Really annoys me that poorly written, stereotypical rubbish like this is more popular than genuinely great shows like Community.
  • hilduffluvahilduffluva Posts: 3,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Saw this last night on E4 as i missed it last Thursday. I really liked it and i know it's only the pilot episode but i preferred it over the pilot of New Girl. I liked the zingy one liners and the crude humour appeals, i like that it can get a little bit dirty at times! ;) (dry vagina and Coldplay lines were great! :D) Kat Dennings and Beth Behrs seemed to have good chemistry and i'll be watching the next few to see if it gets better.

The one thing i thought was really smart was the way it ended when it showed how much they earned that night and put the total at the end of the episode. I imagine they'll be doing this every week adding up both their wages and tips hoping to get to that magical figure of £250k to quit their jobs and start their own cupcake business.

If only they had paired this with New Girl when it launched on Ch4 i think they could have a solid hit on their hands.

I agree! could of called it something like Girls Night In Monday...or whatever...but im on the US pace and have been since the start and loving it. OK so the writing is not the best it is just good light comedy entertainment!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree! could of called it something like Girls Night In Monday...or whatever...but im on the US pace and have been since the start and loving it. OK so the writing is not the best it is just good light comedy entertainment!

Just realised Ch4 are showing this. It gets its premiere on Ch4 Wed night tonight at 11.05pm. Pretty late timeslot for a brand new US comedy, most people will be in bed by then! It's doubled up with a repeat on The Inbetweeners straight after. Ch4 still don't learn do they :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    AA2009 wrote: »
    Really annoys me that poorly written, stereotypical rubbish like this is more popular than genuinely great shows like Community.

REALLY ANNOYS ME THAT COMMUNITY FANS FEEL THE NEED TO WHINGE ABOUT EVERY OVER COMEDY MORE POPULAR THAN THERE'S. YES IT'S A GOOD SHOW, BUT ULTIMATELY IT'S AN AQUIRED TASTE AND IF YOU AREN'T HAPPY, START A FACEBOOK CAMPAIGN (LIKE ABED DID FOR COUGAR TOWN) INSTEAD OF TROLLING FORUMS.

edit: That was a tad harsh. I like Community and agree it's a better show, but that doesn't mean you (as in Communiry Fans, not specifically you) need to go around commenting about it all the time. It strikes me that Community fans are just pissed off because Sony are over a year behind and they've had to pirate it. (I haven't complained about American Dad being over a year behind on FX and 2 years behind on BBC3 I just get on with it)
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    I am watching this US pace, and I must say, I think the first episode was the worst of them all. It does get alot better, for anyone who's on the fence atm... :p

Good to hear, because the first episode left me very underwelmed, a couple of decent lines but much of it grated for me, quite a few of the scenes struck me as more quick sketches in another show, rather then part of an ongoing story. I'll give it another go this week, but it needs massive improvement for me to stick with it, very much a 'meh' for me at this point.
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Of the current E4/4 US comedy shows that I'm watching - I would say I'd put them in this order of preference.

How I Met Your Mother
    Happy Endings
    The Big Bang Theory
    2 Broke Girls
    New Girl
    Rules of Engagement

I did find the overly loud laugh track in the first episode of 2 Broke Girls annoying and thought the main set looked very "studio", but as I've had a massive crush on Kat Dennings since seeing her in Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist I'll probably stick with it.

Shallow I know, but hey I'm a guy :D
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    AA2009 wrote: »

I think "2 Broke Girls" is an OK if not great comedy, but the
    ethnic stereotyping on the show is dreadful. A clumsy
    Asian, and a perverted East European? I even saw a
    ep on Irish tv where there was a black woman who kept
    saying "Mmm-hmmm!" :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    I just watched this. Like most opinions here I found it pretty poor, obvious jokes coming and poorly written. You can tell it's a CBS sitcom.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Let me be the first to
    say it: How about "2 Broke Girls 1 Cup" ? :eek: :D
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .. I've had a massive crush on Kat Dennings since seeing her in Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist..

Same here :)

Obviously I had to inspect the leaked topless pictures of her to see if they were suitable viewing .. *ahem*
  • StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    Good to hear, because the first episode left me very underwelmed, a couple of decent lines but much of it grated for me, quite a few of the scenes struck me as more quick sketches in another show, rather then part of an ongoing story. I'll give it another go this week, but it needs massive improvement for me to stick with it, very much a 'meh' for me at this point.

Having seen the advert for it a billion times, I had no intention of watching the show, because honestly I thought if the clips used represented the funniest moments in the show then it hasn't got a leg to stand on. However I was flicking through the channels and there it was so I thought i'd give it a go but I completely agree with what you're saying. It was margainly better than what I expected but probably only because I expected it to be abysmal.

P.S. I love your user name :)
  • dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I cant particulary remember what I thought of the second episode, it was the third and fourth episode really, that I just fell in love with the show. When I first heard of it, and friends told me to watch it, I though it was gonna be amazing. So watched it, and was a bit meh. Few days later, nothing else on so watched it, and did it again for the third episode. Kinda just strolling through. And yeah I fell in love Ep. 3 & 4.

I am in no ways saying it is amazing. It really isnt. Its a very particular style of comedy, which the show knows people will love or hate. So I kinda feel its one of those shows, where you wouldnt rush on home to watch it. I kinda record it to watch when nothing else is on. But I will always watch it eventually. If you get me :p
  • DensinoDensino Posts: 3,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2nd episode
    DREADFUL!!!

Didn't think it could get any worse, and the blonde one is a dreadful actress
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I thought the second one was better but i dont like the blonde girl much. Not sure if its her acting or her character.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2nd episode definetely nowhere near as good as last week's pilot. It didn't make me laugh much although the highlight had to be Caroline falling into the horseshit! :D However it's still extremely watchable and i think Kat and Beth still have good onscreen chemisty. Let's hope it improves next week.