Options

Great British Menu Series 8

Comments

• Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    So judges faces on plates, yet their cookbooks wouldn't have been funny?
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww, that was sweet with his wife.

It was. She's lovely [He's lovely too :o]
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    dome wrote: »
    So judges faces on plates, yet their cookbooks wouldn't have been funny?

i've said it before it 's ALL about the plates this year....
  • Options
    strictmachinestrictmachine Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone said last night it's difficult to get tasty strawberries this time of year so while I like both dishes I would prefer the pineapple dish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Balloons were fab.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    i've said it before it 's ALL about the plates this year....

TBF we've had some good ones though. Haven't we? we have, haven't we? tumbleweed...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daniel is like his dad eh?
  • Options
    kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who was the guy talking to Glyn earlier?
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    So was that one dessert between two?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    well guys it's been a blast i hope you will all look in your cupboards and remember always how funny your plates are.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Must have been amazing being there eating all of that... top job chefs!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    well guys it's been a blast i hope you will all look in your cupboards and remember always how funny your plates are.....

Do chipped and crazed ones count?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have 4 blue and white plates and one black and white one, ,my friends and I , how we laugh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we should keep this thread going. Liking the sense of humour on here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have 4 blue and white plates and one black and white one, ,my friends and I , how we laugh.

Eclectic is the latest fad. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

i think the lesson i have learnt from this series is that ALL plates are inherently funny....as long as you announce the chipped and cracked plates as "nan's china" you will be guaranteed laughter
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fender101 wrote: »
    we should keep this thread going. Liking the sense of humour on here.

I don't know what to do with myself any more and I am not ready to let go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i think the lesson i have learnt from this series is that ALL plates are inherently funny....as long as you announce the chipped and cracked plates as "nan's china" you will be guaranteed laughter

As long as you polish the edges with a dirty cloth before service.

:D
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The banquet looked as if it was a lot of fun tbh.

The chefs were mostly great, but Aiden didn't come across that well. He seemed particularly moody and more prima donna-ish than the others.

Daniel really was an all round good bloke.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed that, really, really, really want to try Michael's main dish and Richard's pudding

Michael's new hair cut suited him muchly :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    I found that chicken and egg dance incredibly cringy. Jeez.

Anyway, i agree with the whole self-indulgence of celebrities. I don't get these banquets anymore tbh, they are just wrong. It happened last year with the Olympic games banquet, we counted two or three athletes pre-selected for the GB team, the rest, celebrities.

I get the feeling that these "special events, and occasions" are merely a BBC thing, they choose a theme, invite one or two people related to that theme and call it appropriately. Don't get it.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Dission wrote: »
    I found that chicken and egg dance incredibly cringy. Jeez.

Anyway, i agree with the whole self-indulgence of celebrities. I don't get these banquets anymore tbh, they are just wrong. It happened last year with the Olympic games banquet, we counted two or three athletes pre-selected for the GB team, the rest, celebrities.

I get the feeling that these "special events, and occasions" are merely a BBC thing, they choose a theme, invite one or two people related to that theme and call it appropriately. Don't get it.

I've enjoyed the series for it's pure entertainment values, but I must admit I did feel a bit uncomfortable watching so many celebrity freeloaders tucking into a sumptuous banquet in order to celebrate 25 years of a charity which started in response to a famine. I really do think it should have been the three resident judges, the chef's guests, and only those directly involved with the Comic Relief charity work.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    This has been the worse series of GBM yet. The format is getting tired and this series was sometimes just downright outlandish.

I don't usually watch tv shows that are competitions (apart from a few quiz shows) but this series of GBM was taking the pish with the brief, the judges and the bombshells.

The final banquet didn't add any enjoyment to the experience.

It was nice to find likeminded individuals in this thread. The DS forums have a use after all :D
  • Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreement is breaking out all over! I'm agreeing with degsy about the series but I thought they did manage to inject some fun and a festive atmosphere into the banquet even if they had to bring on some strange performing characters to do it - humour must have been lacking in the food, after all. And didn't we say so all along? Those serious intense chefs are not exactly the pinnacle of fun.

All that tedious faked last-minute panic and drama was exposed for what it is when we learned that it was happening the day before. Yes, a whole day before, the chefs were there beavering away preparing their dishes and polishing their plates. Blimey. What a close-run thing that was, eh...
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oulandy wrote: »
    All that tedious faked last-minute panic and drama was exposed for what it is when we learned that it was happening the day before. Yes, a whole day before, the chefs were there beavering away preparing their dishes and polishing their plates. Blimey. What a close-run thing that was, eh...

Wasn't it mentioned that it was the day before? I was certainly watching it thinking that