Celebrities who get an easy time from the press

Comments

• ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    Ryan Giggs. Was shagging his brothers wife for EIGHT YEARS and he tore his family apart.

His doormat of a wife forgave him, and he is still a golden boy.

Must be football thing then like Lineker.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    Ryan Giggs. Was shagging his brothers wife for EIGHT YEARS and he tore his family apart.

His doormat of a wife forgave him, and he is still a golden boy.

It all blew over very quickly in the end, the superinjunction was hardly worth it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    I think expectations regarding personal morality must be pretty low when it comes to professional sportsmen. Rooney, Cole and Terry spring to mind.
  • tommytigertommytiger Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I can only imagine that the celebrities that get an easy time from the press must have struck some sort of deal with them. I can't see why the press/tabloids would go easy on certain celebrities if they're getting nothing in return. I'd definitely say that certain celebrities have struck some sort of deal with them. It's the only thing I can think of.

Not necessarily the celebrities themselves, but their agents. Most know that Max Clifford would offer a tabloid three or four exclusives if the tabloid dropped a negative story about one of his clients (like Simon Cowell).

It's a shame most Joe Public don't know when they are being conned, Sinitta went from being Simon Cowell's friend, close friend, then ex girlfriend, then ex fiancée in the space of a decade, now she reckons she aborted his baby. She's knocked so many years off her real age it looks like she dated Simon when she was 14.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Other celebs like Gary Lineker who had countless affairs during his first marriage was not outed by the press.

The press wouldn't want to make someone who does a lot of work for charity look like a bad person.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the current situation with Clifford?

I know he got arrested but I've lost track since then.
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    What's the current situation with Clifford?

I know he got arrested but I've lost track since then.

All systems blazing.
  • Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaybee15 wrote: »

And thirdly - I find it utterly bizarre that you appear to admire the McCanns for their grit, education and wherewithal in taking on the press. At best - at VERY BEST - they left their three children unattended while they themselves went out for a jolly up with some friends. Admire them? I despise them.

Oh for petes sake :mad: Every single day of the week I see mothers leave their kids alone in the car while they 'dash into the shop for five minutes', I see toddlers left alone in the car seat while mum walks the older kids up the road to the school yard (thats a very popular thing for women to do outside schools...) I also see local kids holding the hands of their younger siblings and wandering off down to the local park 'on their own'...yes really! all children and all unsupervised and unattended - whatever you like to label it. The McCanns put three very tired children to bed rather than in a noisy creche and had their tea a few hundred yards from their door. Not a crime and a very common thing that countless parents have done while on holiday in resorts and complexes...and still do let me tell you.
    The crime was committed by individual who took her. The McCanns made the mistake of being complacent, like those mothers who leave toddlers in cars outside schools and mothers who leave their kids in the car while they shop 'for five minutes' :rolleyes:

The finger-pointers do so because they have taken the same risks themselves with their own kids in some form and feel holier-than-thou and qualified to accuse because they got away with it. I'd rather despise the person who took the little girl. Despise the McCanns and you may as well despise all parents :sleep:

Rant over.
    Forum Member
    Oh for petes sake :mad: Every single day of the week I see mothers leave their kids alone in the car while they 'dash into the shop for five minutes', I see toddlers left alone in the car seat while mum walks the older kids up the road to the school yard (thats a very popular thing for women to do outside schools...) I also see local kids holding the hands of their younger siblings and wandering off down to the local park 'on their own'...yes really! all children and all unsupervised and unattended - whatever you like to label it. The McCanns put three very tired children to bed rather than in a noisy creche and had their tea a few hundred yards from their door. Not a crime and a very common thing that countless parents have done while on holiday in resorts and complexes...and still do let me tell you.
    The crime was committed by individual who took her. The McCanns made the mistake of being complacent, like those mothers who leave toddlers in cars outside schools and mothers who leave their kids in the car while they shop 'for five minutes' :rolleyes:

The finger-pointers do so because they have taken the same risks themselves with their own kids in some form and feel holier-than-thou and qualified to accuse because they got away with it. I'd rather despise the person who took the little girl. Despise the McCanns and you may as well despise all parents :sleep:

Rant over.

For Pete's sake?

We always want to be perfect, we see the McCann incident and rather than sympathise we condemn. Like we condemn the drink culture, but continue to drink. As long as it doesn't affect us, we can carry on.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Some celebs clearly 'co-operate' with the press by giving regular stories. So the press go easy on them and ignore other stories about them they could print.

Other celebs like Gary Lineker who had countless affairs during his first marriage was not outed by the press. Don't know why though.

Allegedly it's because one of his sons had leukaemia as a child and a super injunction was taken out to protect the family who were going through a tough time. The son is fully recovered now though, so I don't know why he still gets protection?

Footballers get off very lightly all the time. Gazza is a lost cause, he will die sooner or later, and when he does we can expect fawning media coverage about what a genius he was on the football pitch.

It this country if your good at kicking a ball around you can get away with murder :rolleyes:
  • Haggis&ChipsHaggis&Chips Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Rant over.

Try doing some research on this subject before lambasting another poster. There is not one single scrap of evidence that Madeleine was 'taken'.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,369
    Forum Member
    Oh for petes sake Every single day of the week I see mothers leave their kids alone in the car while they 'dash into the shop for five minutes',
    I see toddlers left alone in the car seat while mum walks the older kids up the road to the school yard (thats a very popular thing for women to do outside schools...)
    I also see local kids holding the hands of their younger siblings and wandering off down to the local park 'on their own'...yes really! all children and all unsupervised and unattended - whatever you like to label it.

So?

What's the point being made here? Other parents are stupid therefore....what?
    The McCanns put three very tired children to bed rather than in a noisy creche and had their tea a few hundred yards from their door.

Why couldn't they just bring some food back to the apartment? Or eat earlier when their kids were awake and with them? Surely a noisy creche is less risky than three children alone in an apartment?
    Not a crime and a very common thing that countless parents have done while on holiday in resorts and complexes...and still do let me tell you.

Then they are stupid too.
    The crime was committed by individual who took her.

It was, but it was a crime that would not have been committed had the McCanns used their brains
    The finger-pointers do so because they have taken the same risks themselves with their own kids in some form and feel holier-than-thou and qualified to accuse because they got away with it. I'd rather despise the person who took the little girl. Despise the McCanns and you may as well despise all parents

Only negligent parents.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tommytiger wrote: »
    All systems blazing.

Scuse me?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So?

What's the point being made here? Other parents are stupid therefore....what?

Why couldn't they just bring some food back to the apartment? Or eat earlier when their kids were awake and with them? Surely a noisy creche is less risky than three children alone in an apartment?

Then they are stupid too.

It was, but it was a crime that would not have been committed had the McCanns used their brains

Only negligent parents.

Then we are all negligent parents. I am saying that ALL parents have allowed their kids to go unattended at some stage, why does having dinner a few hundred yards away from your room with your children sleeping in it, supposedly in a secure complex, qualify you as being 'negligent'? there was a time when we kids of the 60's, 70's and 80's played not only in the street 'unattended' but around the corner and streets away in the local park. Were our parents 'negligent' in allowing us to do so...?

I am saying that if you want to call them negligent then you may as well call all parents negligent because right now there are children playing out in their street unsupervised. At the very least. Why target the Mcanns...? because you can. The only difference is you don't have the names of everyone else therefore you cannot accuse them personally.

You are not a parent....I can see that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try doing some research on this subject before lambasting another poster. There is not one single scrap of evidence that Madeleine was 'taken'.

I have.

And there is not one scrap of evidence that says anything that points to what you are inferring.

Conspiracy theorists, the bain of the internet.....:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then we are all negligent parents. I am saying that ALL parents have allowed their kids to go unattended at some stage, why does having dinner a few hundred yards away from your room with your children sleeping in it, supposedly in a secure complex, qualify you as being 'negligent'? there was a time when we kids of the 60's, 70's and 80's played not only in the street 'unattended' but around the corner and streets away in the local park. Were our parents 'negligent' in allowing us to do so...?

It wasn't a 'secure' complex which is why Mark Warner didn't provide a baby-listening service at the Ocean Club.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but Mark Warner provided apartments with shutters that could be opened from the outside. Having lived in France and Spain for several years and lived and worked in homes and establishments that featured shuttered windows I have never once encountered shutters that were able to be opened from the outside, they are all secured from the inside ....must be a Portugese thing.

The shutters on the McCann's apartment leading to the kids room were opened from the outside. It was not only the McCanns who were unaware such a thing was possible until it happened. Very poor security from the Warner side of things. Security shutters able to be opened from the outside....why the heck why??? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't a 'secure' complex which is why Mark Warner didn't provide a baby-listening service at the Ocean Club.

Why would you need a baby listening service if you could sit and watch your apartment from several metres away?
    I certainly would not have used it to be honest. I would not have expected someone to be able to gain access to my apartment through the shutters from the outside once I closed them. Warner has never explained, or been asked to explain, why the shutters on the apartments were able to be opened from the outside.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, but Mark Warner provided apartments with shutters that could be opened from the outside.

The shutters on the McCann's apartment leading to the kids room were opened from the outside. It was not only the McCanns who were unaware such a thing was possible until it happened. Very poor security from the Warner side of things. Security shutters able to be opened from the outside....why the heck why??? :confused:

No, they weren't opened from the outside - this is a complete fallacy.
    Why would you need a baby listening service if you could sit and watch your apartment from several metres away?
    I certainly would not have used it to be honest. I would not have expected someone to be able to gain access to my apartment through the shutters from the outside once I closed them. Warner has never explained, or been asked to explain, why the shutters on the apartments were able to be opened from the outside.

They couldn't see access points to the apartment from where they were sitting in the tapas bar. The apartment was 120metres away and masked by trees.

Mark Warner has no reason to 'explain' anything. The company provided a variety of different childcare options which the McCanns chose not to use.
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Scuse me?

Business as usual - Sinitta is doing a turn this weekend.
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Gary Barlow and his tax affairs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beyoncé & after her team tried to remove those unfortunate photos from her super bowl show from the net makes me wonder just how much stuff her team manages to keep out of the press.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, but Mark Warner provided apartments with shutters that could be opened from the outside. Having lived in France and Spain for several years and lived and worked in homes and establishments that featured shuttered windows I have never once encountered shutters that were able to be opened from the outside, they are all secured from the inside ....must be a Portugese thing.

The shutters on the McCann's apartment leading to the kids room were opened from the outside. It was not only the McCanns who were unaware such a thing was possible until it happened. Very poor security from the Warner side of things. Security shutters able to be opened from the outside....why the heck why??? :confused]:

Make your mind up. Was it a secure complex as you previously suggested or not? I think most of us know that an unlocked apartment with access to/from a public street and overlooking a carpark could never be described as secure. Most wouldn't even leave their passport under those circumstances.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member

Gazza is another one. He used to beat his wife and is an alcoholic who seems to squander any help he receives. But media coverage of him is always fawning, and why? Because he used to be good at kicking a ball around a pitch and once cried during a football match in 1990? Pathetic.

Sorry to go back to this post but i think you are wrong here.

Gazza was just an ordinary kid like you would see on any estate in any city in England who was taken and used by football for 20+ years. He was handed untold riches and made a hero to millions and given absolutely no help whatsoever with regard to how to deal with it. Then when he was no longer useful to football we all just said "Thanks mate, you can go now" and tossed him aside.

He had issues as a child and a drink problem that was brewing from even his early days as a player yet he was indulged because of what he offered.

Im a massive football fan but when the inevitable happens with Gazza i think there will be a lot of people within the game who will have a little bit of blood on their hands.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most wouldn't even leave their passport under those circumstances.

Heavens, you'd be amazed at what people leave lying around their rooms when on holiday. I have worked extensively in the industry, owned a holiday establishment for seven years, and even though we offered guests the security of using a safe for their valuables few actually used the service. Americans were more likely to than Brits. Passports lying on bathroom shelves, jewellery under pillows...and that's the stuff that's mentionable ;)

And it has always been common for parents to feed their kids early and put them to bed in their rooms before going down to their own tea. I would parents these days are more wary, but it is still a done thing. A couple I know in France even advertise on their website that they do an early dinner sitting for the children so that the adults can put them to bed and eat with the other adults at a later time. The rooms are on a different floor to the dining room too. If you feel your kids are safe then you do it.