Gone for a RAZRi instead of a Nexus 4 for Mrs K - right or wrong decision?

konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
Forum Member
Mrs K has basically left it up to me to sort her a replacement for her trusty but now slowing Huawei G300 (her first smartphone). After much deliberating I have just ordered the Motorola RAZRi from ChitterChatter's ebay store. £170 delivered so same as the 8GB Nexus 4 but including a bluetooth speaker and £20 Orange credit that i will be selling on for hopefully £50-ish combined so maybe £120 net (less what we get for the very well looked after G300 so maybe less than a ton eventually after the bit of cash back I got on the phone).

Main reason I've gone for this is the size. She finds the Nexus 4 a bit too big (even though I've said these objections normally disappear after a few days use). She's not a heavy user (Words With Friends is currently her obsession :D) and (thankfully!! :D) hasn't got very big hands so likes the size of the G300 she has now. She does like to put a lot of music on there though so I'm happy with the SD card support in the Moto. I've read reviews of the RAZRi and most of them are very positive. She's on T Mobile now (at least a company that piggy backs on to it) so I'm assuming no unlocking code will be need to purchased?

Now I'm worried if I've done the right thing (especially considering the recent Nexus 4 price drop). Anyone care to back me up or, indeed, laugh at my foolishness?:D

Comments

• alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    If the Nexus 4 is too large for her then it would not be suitable for her anyway.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From a hardware and software point of view its a wrong decision but that doesn't mean its the wrong choice. If your missus likes the Motorola RAZRi then everyone is happy.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    She hasn't actually seen the RAZRi, that's the problem. It's sort of a surprise gift (even though I've told her I'm looking for a replacement for the G300) but my worry is I should have got her the Nexus 4 and let her get used to the size lol. Oh well, I'm not normally this timid, so ignore me. it's done now anyway (plus after reading the great reviews it gets the bluetooth speaker will now form part of my son's b'day pressie so all is good lol)..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a Razri . Got it in Nov 2012 on release . Nice phone - had no problems with it . Software updates have stopped now though at Android 4.1.2 :(

Having said that I never noticed any difference from 4.0 to 4.1.2 :D :rolleyes:

The sound quality is excellent on the Razri and my Oasis collection sounds amazing with some good earphones plugged in :cool:

Only dropped it once on a concrete floor and it never made a mark :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You mention size , the screen on mine is 4.3 inches. Is that not the same-ish as the N4 :confused:
    Forum Member
    klendathu wrote: »
    You mention size , the screen on mine is 4.3 inches. Is that not the same-ish as the N4 :confused:

the screen on the N4 is 4.7" but the overall size of the N4 compared to the RAZRi is considerably bigger than the differerence in screen size according to gsmarena. In fact, if their figures are to be believed the RAZRi is, overall, smaller than the Huawei G300 (4" screen) she is currently using, which is one of the main reasons why i went for it tbh. And thanks for sharing your experiences.

PS Just had a panic - i take it the RAZRi runs Word With Friends app OK :eek:? I've read it's not compatible with some Android apps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    the screen on the N4 is 4.7" but the overall size of the N4 compared to the RAZRi is considerably bigger than the differerence in screen size according to gsmarena. In fact, if their figures are to be believed the RAZRi is, overall, smaller than the Huawei G300 (4" screen) she is currently using, which is one of the main reasons why i went for it tbh. And thanks for sharing your experiences.

PS Just had a panic - i take it the RAZRi runs Word With Friends app OK :eek:? I've read it's not compatible with some Android apps.

Ah I see .
    .I'm not sure about the Word with Friends thing I don't play that .

But your Mrs will not be disappointed with this phone . Its speedy and reliable . Forgot to mention I got some very decent snaps with the camera :)

Cheerio :D
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    After much deliberating I have just ordered the Motorola RAZRi

Anyone care to back me up or, indeed, laugh at my foolishness?:D

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!!!! :eek:

Na, just kidding. It's an excellent phone :)
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daughter has a RAZRi, I use it now and again and find it a great phone.

Battery lasts well, is sturdy,and not a bad looking phone either
  • on the airon the air Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This phone is currently back on offer with 3uk for just £150. The one I got was unlocked to any network as well, bonus.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    on the air wrote: »
    This phone is currently back on offer with 3uk for just £150. The one I got was unlocked to any network as well, bonus.

I paid £340 less than a year ago :eek: :cry::(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have just downloaded words with friends, it runs fine.. Candy crush saga, last time I tried that, you won't be so lucky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    I paid £340 less than a year ago :eek: :cry::(

Crazy isn't it. In carphone warehouse it's still £320 so It pays to shop around. On the flip side cpw are doing the blackberry z10 for £259 which I am tempted by, it's still well over £400 everywhere else.
    Forum Member
    I have just downloaded words with friends, it runs fine.. Candy crush saga, last time I tried that, you won't be so lucky.

As long as Words With Friends run fine I will have one happy wife so thanks for that! :D After all these years with me she's obviously very easily pleased :D
    Forum Member
    Daughter has a RAZRi, I use it now and again and find it a great phone.

Battery lasts well, is sturdy,and not a bad looking phone either

Very reassuring, thanks!

Saw that offer but figured that with the £20 credit voucher and Philips bluetooth speaker I could get £50 back, making my purchase a net £112-ish with the bit of cashback I am also getting. As luck would have it the bluetooth speaker is perfect for my son so he will be getting that as part of his birthday pressie. :)
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

That's probably for the best :D I played Candy Crush for a few weeks and I got stuck at Level 29. I also got addicted to it so I deleted it. Mum and dad had it on their iPad and after getting to level 101 they got fed up with it. They were addicted to it.
    Forum Member
    The RAZR i arrived yesterday and what a lovely phone it is! Mrs K made up with it. No idea about benchmarks but in real world use it's very nippy indeed. In some ways this is probably the optimum size for a phone tbh (especially one with a 4.3" screen and the Nexus 4 looks huge next to it for only .4" more screen acreage). I know we have got used to bigger and bigger phones (in fact, Dom Jolly's sketch doesn't look so crazy nowadays!) but when you think about it mobiles really should be capable of being used one-handed.

Anyway, very pleased with my purchase and the bluetooth speaker looks great. Time to sell the wife's old Huawei G300 (I notice a used one went for £51 on ebay the other day :eek:). Oh, and the £20 Orange PAYG credit. Do I need to include the SIM they sent me with this credit or can it be applied to any Orange PAYG sim?:o

PS It really does pay to shop around, doesn't it?

http://www.handtec.co.uk/motorola-razr-i-black.html

Granted that's SIM free but it would cost me £8 to make this one SIM free - and there's absolutely no Orange bloatware or branding on mine. Like I said before, if I sold the stuff/extras that came with this phone I reckon the net price would be approx £112 plus £8 for the unlock code so £120!

PPS Many thanks to all respondees for their reassuring words :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The RAZR i arrived yesterday and what a lovely phone it is! Mrs K made up with it. No idea about benchmarks but in real world use it's very nippy indeed. In some ways this is probably the optimum size for a phone tbh (especially one with a 4.3" screen and the Nexus 4 looks huge next to it for only .4" more screen acreage). I know we have got used to bigger and bigger phones (in fact, Dom Jolly's sketch doesn't look so crazy nowadays!) but when you think about it mobiles really should be capable of being used one-handed.

Anyway, very pleased with my purchase and the bluetooth speaker looks great. Time to sell the wife's old Huawei G300 (I notice a used one went for £51 on ebay the other day :eek:). Oh, and the £20 Orange PAYG credit. Do I need to include the SIM they sent me with this credit or can it be applied to any Orange PAYG sim?:o

PS It really does pay to shop around, doesn't it?

http://www.handtec.co.uk/motorola-razr-i-black.html

Granted that's SIM free but it would cost me £8 to make this one SIM free - and there's absolutely no Orange bloatware or branding on mine. Like I said before, if I sold the stuff/extras that came with this phone I reckon the net price would be approx £112 plus £8 for the unlock code so £120!

PPS Many thanks to all respondees for their reassuring words :)

Hooray ! :D

When I got mine it also had no branding and no bloatware :)

In fact apart from the circles on the home screen it seems to have no overlay at all .
    Don't know about your SIM question though :o

I took some great snaps the other day , the camera is great :cool: