Cheers on ITV4 (Merged)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. Good to know Lilith will be around. I think she's great. :)

I thought a lot of posts had been removed, but have just noticed that I (and a lot of others) have been posting in he other Cheers thread for the past few weeks (I did not realise) :o Maybe they should be merged ...

I'd be rather insulted to find my thread merged with newer ones when mine is very popular and I've shown great delight about what I'm discussing. Ideally I asked for spoilers to be posted elsewhere. This thread is more to do with how we like the characters/actors.
  • cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Repeats This Week!!

That's right fellow bar-flies there are no afternoon repeats and no weekend omnibus catch-ups this week due to massive snooker coverage.

The 7pm (ish) showings are the only ones we're getting, so don't miss them!

Brought to you on the friendly and original Cheers thread, where we like to help each other out.
  • fozzie74fozzie74 Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Luckily the Saturday morning repeats WERE in widescreen!
    As I have both versions I was able to compare and there's absolutely no loss of picture from the top or bottom to accomodate the stretching to fit. There's nothing missing at all. Whoever re-mastered them did a brilliant job.

Hmmm... it's a puzzle!! If you still have both versions of the same episode and you say the widescreen version does not miss any footage off top and bottom, i take it you mean it also has extra footage on the left and right that the 4.3 version original 80s (and dvd release) version never showed? Unless every episode in the 80s was shot in 16.9 and then cut down to 4.3 for transmission this just doesn't make sense that even in modern "remastering" they would be able to "add" left and right footage!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fozzie74 wrote: »
    Hmmm... it's a puzzle!! If you still have both versions of the same episode and you say the widescreen version does not miss any footage off top and bottom, i take it you mean it also has extra footage on the left and right that the 4.3 version original 80s (and dvd release) version never showed? Unless every episode in the 80s was shot in 16.9 and then cut down to 4.3 for transmission this just doesn't make sense that even in modern "remastering" they would be able to "add" left and right footage!

It's totally baffling fozzie! There appears to be no extra footage at the sides either but somehow it's been stretched to fit without making the people look out of proportion.
    Like you, I think it was shot in 4.3 so it doesn't make sense. Have you tried a comparison between one of your dvd's and the itv4 version?
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be rather insulted to find my thread merged with newer ones when mine is very popular and I've shown great delight about what I'm discussing. Ideally I asked for spoilers to be posted elsewhere. This thread is more to do with how we like the characters/actors.

No insults were intended, it was only a suggestion as having two threads on the same subject can become confusing. Not sure what you mean by newer threads. :confused: The other long standing thread was started before this one (that was the only thread I was talking about) so that makes this thread the 'newer' one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No Repeats This Week!!

That's right fellow bar-flies there are no afternoon repeats and no weekend omnibus catch-ups this week due to massive snooker coverage.

The 7pm (ish) showings are the only ones we're getting, so don't miss them!

Brought to you on the friendly and original Cheers thread, where we like to help each other out.

Thank you. I never realised this. I shall make sure I see them in the evening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No insults were intended, it was only a suggestion as having two threads on the same subject can become confusing. Not sure what you mean by newer threads. :confused: The other long standing thread was started before this one (that was the only thread I was talking about) so that makes this thread the 'newer' one.

This is the second longest thread with regards to Cheers. There have been some more newer ones. Myself personally find merged threads a lot more confusing if say your trying to find a particular comment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before watching the 2nd of Tuesday night's episodes, you might want to familiarise yourself with this song by Wangchung which was a huge no2 hit in the US around time of original transmission. Funnily it never made the UK top40 even though they're British.

This is not a spoiler by the way, merely an enhancer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Kre4_fFek
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recently I created a very successful thread about the late great John Sullivan sitcom 'Dear John'. Which raised awareness of an underrated 80's comedy.

However I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Woody Harrelson made an appearance in the US remake.

Did anyone else watch Money Train on Sky1 the other night starring Woody?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the record whilst this is the original Cheers thread, it's not the most popular one.

I don't really see the need for sly signatures such as "Brought to you on the friendly and original Cheers thread, where we like to help each other out.". We love the show just as much right?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tonight's shows were great again. Loved the squeaky shoes scene. :D
  • pembo2004pembo2004 Posts: 4,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i forgotten how funny that scene is!!
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Thought I'd post this for anyone who doesn't read The Metro. Todays 60 Second interview with Ted Danson. The first question of it was 'Did you ever get tired of playing the same character for eleven years in Cheers?'

'If we'd had to behave well, we might have wanted to move on - but we didn't. We kept things fresh by f!!!king around to such an extent that we often thought it might be an aboslute disaster when the audience came in. Half the time we weren't even there to rehearse. Woody Harrelson might have flown off to Berlin because the Wall was coming down or John Ratzenberger might have flown to Seattle to harvest his apples. It was like a frat house. We were paid silly money to be silly people in a bar - so we inhabited that life.'

Sounds like it was as much fun to film as to watch...
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    You think that was fun - read this!!!

GQ released their Oral History of Cheers a day or so ago to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the show where cast members like Ted Danson, Woody Harrelson and Kirstie Alley all talked about what it was like working together.

They described the show and even talked about the antics that went on outside of it like the time Ted Danson and Woody Harrelson played hooky and took shrooms

I’ll tell you about the worst day of my life. Shelley [Long] and Rhea [Perlman] were carrying that week’s episode, and the guys were just, ‘Let’s play hooky.’ We’d never done anything wrong before. John had a boat, so we met at Marina del Rey at 8 A.M. We all called in sick, and jimmy caught on and was so pissed. Woody and I were already stoned, and Woody said, ‘You want to try some mushrooms?’ I’d never had them, so I’m handed this bag and I took a fistful. On our way to Catalina, we hit the tail end of a hurricane, and even people who were sober were getting sick. Woody and I thought we were going to die for three hours. I sat next to George, and every sixty seconds or so he’d poke me and go, ‘Breathe.’ [gasp] And I’d come back to life.

Then there’s the game they used to play called “bust in while someone is taking a shower and take pictures of them naked.” This led to the reveal that Ted Danson has a huge wiener

There were bathrooms where you’d take showers before the show. So the big game became getting the door open, so that you could take pictures of nude people. I have the greatest picture of Ted. That was a big caper: There was one person [opening] the door with a butter knife and another person kicking the door in so I could get a photo. He’s decapitated, but totally nude. And he’s really well-endowed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the printing out the stories. Sounds like they had a riot making Cheers. :D It does come across on the screen that they're enjoying themselves.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its fantastic that 30 years on this show is as funny now as it was then - the sign of a true classic.

I also love to remember the "simpler" times when there were no mobile phones, ipads, ipods and all the limitless gadgets that we have to contend with now, God, life was a lot more fun without them!!!

I must also confess to laughing out loud at some of the ridiculous clothes that Rebecca has been wearing lately as I wore very similar outfits myself in the 80s - oh my word, they were awful :D:D
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

"It's the Squeaky Shoes Club!"
    Woody is growing on me.

His line the other night about Rebecca's boss and how much he pays for his socks. Norm says "at least 75" Woody replies (as straight faced as ever) "Geez, even I pay a dollar":D Not that funny when you write it, but that really tickled me. :D The whole scene was timed to perfection.

I have to say, that I am preferring the show now (as opposed to when Diane was in it) I liked Diane, but the present cast just seem to gel much better.

I liked Woody from the start.

One of hie first lines about he and Coach being pen pals:

"You exchanged letters"

"No, we exhanged pens"

At that point I thought he slipped right in.

At the moment every episode is strong - the show really opened up.
  • hallstarhallstar Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved when Frasier was shouting out movie spoilers he included the Empire Strikes Back. Of course Cliff knew that one he was in it :)

Although I find it hard to believe the Frasier from the spin off show would even know who Luke skywalker was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can discuss Cheers here. Everyone is welcome!

Norm!!
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must be the only one who is not mad about Frasier - I always wished he had left when he and Diane broke up at the end of season 3.

I like him with Lilith but thats about it.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hallstar wrote: »
    I loved when Frasier was shouting out movie spoilers he included the Empire Strikes Back. Of course Cliff knew that one he was in it :)

Although I find it hard to believe the Frasier from the spin off show would even know who Luke skywalker was.

Yes, on 'Cheers', Frasier was gradually 'barflied' and went from being a bit of a sap with no real friends to being 'one of the guys', as happy to sip a beer and watch a sports game as to attend the opera with Lilith. On 'Frasier', he was gradually 'Nilesed' and went from being 'one of the guys' to once again being a bit of a sap with no real friends who wouldn't be caught dead sipping a beer and barely knew what a football was. He became a pretentious fop as 'Frasier' went on - and I always find it strange how many people claim to love Frasier in his own show but hated Diane on 'Cheers' for being pretentious or snooty. Frasier and Niles were ten times worse than Diane ever was!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    You think that was fun - read this!!!

GQ released their Oral History of Cheers a day or so ago to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the show where cast members like Ted Danson, Woody Harrelson and Kirstie Alley all talked about what it was like working together.

They described the show and even talked about the antics that went on outside of it like the time Ted Danson and Woody Harrelson played hooky and took shrooms

I’ll tell you about the worst day of my life. Shelley [Long] and Rhea [Perlman] were carrying that week’s episode, and the guys were just, ‘Let’s play hooky.’ We’d never done anything wrong before. John had a boat, so we met at Marina del Rey at 8 A.M. We all called in sick, and jimmy caught on and was so pissed. Woody and I were already stoned, and Woody said, ‘You want to try some mushrooms?’ I’d never had them, so I’m handed this bag and I took a fistful. On our way to Catalina, we hit the tail end of a hurricane, and even people who were sober were getting sick. Woody and I thought we were going to die for three hours. I sat next to George, and every sixty seconds or so he’d poke me and go, ‘Breathe.’ [gasp] And I’d come back to life.

Then there’s the game they used to play called “bust in while someone is taking a shower and take pictures of them naked.” This led to the reveal that Ted Danson has a huge wiener

There were bathrooms where you’d take showers before the show. So the big game became getting the door open, so that you could take pictures of nude people. I have the greatest picture of Ted. That was a big caper: There was one person [opening] the door with a butter knife and another person kicking the door in so I could get a photo. He’s decapitated, but totally nude. And he’s really well-endowed.

Amusing stories - but I can't help but wonder if it was this kind of thing that put Shelley off. From what I've read she was a real professional and a perfectionist - she hated all the mucking around and so was out of tune with the rest of the gang (ironically, just like Diane in the show). Any friction between her and the rest of the cast probably stems from their love of shenanigans and her desire to get the job done as professionally as possible.

Has anyone heard the stories about Kelsey Grammer? He's had a really tough life and was going through some major problems with drugs and alcohol during a few series' of 'Cheers'. You can tell in certain episodes (he admits this himself) that he's still strung out. Allegedly Bebe Neuwirth occasionally found scenes with him objectionable because he stank. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did not realise that Cheers was available on the ITV Player. :cool: My pvr inexplicably failed to record the Wed 18.55 episode. No afternoon repeats this week, so luckily I found it on the player thingie.

I always thought the ITV Player was only for shows broadcast on ITV1.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Yes, on 'Cheers', Frasier was gradually 'barflied' and went from being a bit of a sap with no real friends to being 'one of the guys', as happy to sip a beer and watch a sports game as to attend the opera with Lilith. On 'Frasier', he was gradually 'Nilesed' and went from being 'one of the guys' to once again being a bit of a sap with no real friends who wouldn't be caught dead sipping a beer and barely knew what a football was. He became a pretentious fop as 'Frasier' went on - and I always find it strange how many people claim to love Frasier in his own show but hated Diane on 'Cheers' for being pretentious or snooty. Frasier and Niles were ten times worse than Diane ever was!

But Frasier (and NIles) could also be warm, witty, sharp, pathetic, kind, thoughtful, pompous, generou, impulsive...........

He was a much narrower character on Cheers but still better than Diane.

Diane was pretty much a one trick pony for a long time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    But Frasier (and NIles) could also be warm, witty, sharp, pathetic, kind, thoughtful, pompous, generou, impulsive...........

He was a much narrower character on Cheers but still better than Diane.

Diane was pretty much a one trick pony for a long time.

I think Diane was a one-trick pony in Seasons 4 and 5, but in the first three Seasons, I reckon Diane was brilliant - intelligent, thoughtful, sensitive, witty, charming, pompous, etc - she was at her best in the first Season. I believe new writers came in in her last two Seasons and wrote her as a snooty shrew (the original Diane was never snobby - she was more of a pompous type of 'bleeding heart liberal' - though I hate that phrase!). Unfortunately, it's what Diane became that people remember. Similarly, Sam started off as streetwise and witty rather than educated, but he got progressively dumber as the show ran.