Root Beer in McDonalds

SeaviewHomeSeaviewHome Posts: 1,428
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I sure did miss Root Beer when McDonalds took it off the menu to replace it with diet coke. :mad:

I was missing its refreshing germoline taste, in the 1980's it used to go down lovely with a Big Mac. Any other DSers miss it?

I have just purchased some from American Soda here in the UK. They have other sodas and candy from the USA but for root beer it taste just as it did 20+ years ago.

Highly recommended.

http://www.americansoda.co.uk/uk/American-Soda/Home/Drinks/Regular/default.aspx

The A&W is the one I purchased.

Comments

• ScottnoodleScottnoodle Posts: 1,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Mountain Dew on that page! I used to love that, then they stopped selling it. :-(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,342
    Forum Member
    Never had root beer, but I really wanna try a can of that Monster energy drink
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    I agree, and I miss it too. It's so rare to find a nice non-alcoholic drink that doesn't taste sickly sweet. MD slipped up taking it off the menu.
  • droosterdrooster Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I sure did miss Root Beer when McDonalds took it off the menu to replace it with diet coke. :mad:

I was missing its refreshing germoline taste, in the 1980's it used to go down lovely with a Big Mac. Any other DSers miss it?

I have just purchased some from American Soda here in the UK. They have other sodas and candy from the USA but for root beer it taste just as it did 20+ years ago.

Highly recommended.

Asda sell cans of Root Beer in a six pack, Waitrose also do bottles of Aussie Root beer.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Root beer is a bit sour for me. I used to love it as a kid, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you aren't familiar with Root Beer, stick your tongue in a tin of Germoline.

It has a taste exactly like the smell of Germoline!

It's revolting! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,360
    Forum Member
    I prefer the Barqs rootbeer to the A&W one, and its sugar free so I can drink it! I don't rate the Asda rootbeer at all - its not real rootbeer, it doesn't have the same rich taste.
  • Mr GigglesMr Giggles Posts: 18,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Highly recommended.

I miss root beer, really I do, I have to settle with DR PEPPER which will do but I want the real thing.

Thanks for the link, I might get some in for xmas, 24 cans might just do it, I can drink that shit all day....who needs alcohol???:D

I had a row with a manager at maccy's once, I asked for root beer and I was given coke, the manager was a total prick and I didn't get a refund.

After Maccy's dropped root beer I did find a newsagent run buy Asians who sold root beer, when they ran out they bought more in just for me. Sadly that didn't last long because it got harder to get hold of.
  • AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are different brands of Root Beer which equals differents tastes. A&W is too sweet for me. I like Mug and Barts.

I can't see a similarity between Dr. Pepper and Root Beer although i like both. Dr. Pepper reminds me of the recently discontinued Coca Cola Black Cherry Vanilla which I loved. Yes, I know Dr. Pepper has been around for eons.. Dr. Pepper always reminds me of that old wild wild west drink "Sasparilla"
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...memories!!!!

When I used to work in McDonalds occasionally we would end up giving the root beer out by mistake (hardly anyone ever asked for it). Without fail the person would come back saying it tasted like TCP or disinfectant.

One day we heard a terrible shriek from outside the store, and a customer came running back in shouting call an ambulance and that we had poised her baby. I had never seen the manger move so fast as he went to investigate the poised baby. The guy on the till next me said "root beer", and when the manager came back in asking for medium coke to take out ....

(the baby turned out to be a 14 year old spotty kid.)
  • Mr GigglesMr Giggles Posts: 18,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drooster wrote: »
    Asda sell cans of Root Beer in a six pack, Waitrose also do bottles of Aussie Root beer.

Somehow I missed this post..

I've never seen root beer in Asda, I will have a look, also Waitrose, we have one near but it's only a small one.

Thanks.
  • droosterdrooster Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Mr Giggles wrote: »
    Somehow I missed this post..

I've never seen root beer in Asda, I will have a look, also Waitrose, we have one near but it's only a small one.

Thanks.

http://www.root-beer.co.uk/
  • Jackie BrownJackie Brown Posts: 3,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love root beer from MacD's. Was gutted when they withdrew it - was the only decent drink they had there and I can't stand their weird coke drink.
  • Rob FinlayRob Finlay Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only chavs eat at McDonalds anyway.
  • handymelonhandymelon Posts: 15,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, root beer at Maccy D's - that was a regular treat back in my student days in the 80's!

I might well treat Mr M to some as part of his Christmas pressie - he loves the stuff! Thanks for all the links and info, guys!
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've had a few bottles of the Aussie Root Beer from waitrose........it's cool..........:D

It's a bit like the saspirilla we used to have when we were kids.............which ain't surprising as it's made from saspirilla, vanilla and liquorice roots, I think..........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ps.........Londis supermarkets sell the Aussie one as well.......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob Finlay wrote: »
    Only chavs eat at McDonalds anyway.

Obviously you've been often enough to be able to form that strong opinion and to feel able to express it with such certainty . :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eew... I remember my first-ever trip to McDonalds, with my dad, in the early 80s, I guess. He had the root beer, and said it tasted "like cleaning fluid". So we all tried it.

Never had it since, but can taste it to this day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Realist71 wrote: »
    Obviously you've been often enough to be able to form that strong opinion and to feel able to express it with such certainty . :)
    I walk past one everyday, and the only people I ever see in it are chavs. Why on earth would normal people choose to eat there? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I walk past one everyday, and the only people I ever see in it are chavs. Why on earth would normal people choose to eat there? :confused:

It's all right when you've 'had a few'..........course you have to pretend that you have a mate outside and order 2 Big Macs and 2 Large Fries........while you're waiting for 'em just wave at the window and say 'won't be long'..........:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

By your own admission, you are apparently curious enough to look in everyday,

I would have assumed that if you rapidly established it's status was below your own, you would either choose to walk on the other side of the road to avoid contact with the social class you despise or at least would have made the sensible decision and concious effort to look the other way.

Surely neither option requires more effort than tolerating the discomfort you obviously feel?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh don't you love it.....

Rob what are normal people?

Snobs?:p

I personally can't stand root beer I drunk it in Australia and it is not my cup of tea really...

I can not remember it ever being in McDonalds!? I don't really eat at McD's often but if I did I would not be buying root beer

*barf*:cry:

I like Ginger beer....now that is yummy...:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can buy root beer in Sainsbury's last time I checked we stock about 3 different brands. Though it is only carried in larger stores and not all stores stock all brands.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Realist71 wrote: »
    By your own admission, you are apparently curious enough to look in everyday,

I would have assumed that if you rapidly established it's status was below your own, you would either choose to walk on the other side of the road to avoid contact with the social class you despise or at least would have made the sensible decision and concious effort to look the other way.

Surely neither option requires more effort than tolerating the discomfort you obviously feel?
    It doesn't make me feel any discomfort. It's just a fact that nobody with even a faintest idea of what constitutes good food would ever dream of frequentin McDonalds. To get to work required me to walk past a McDonalds, and I tend to look inside with a mixture of intrigue and horror. I seriously do not understand what would propel a normal person in there to eat, there are many decent places that are much better value as well as providing a much higher standard of food.