Sony charging for online multiplayer

alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
Forum Member
How do you feel about this? they slipped it on there while people were still cheering the lack of DRM.

For what it is worth ps+ looks good value - even better than xb live, who are trying to copy it, but given that free online was a stick used to beat MS with - are they getting a free pass on this? Is DRM such a bigger stick that nobody cares any more?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't bother me. I already sub to PS+ and have since day one and have got more then my moneys worth from it. I'd still be subscribing to it on PS4 even if online play was still free.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we all expected someday that Sony would start charging. When you consider DRM, and that stupid kinect camera, paying a fee for plus is the lesser of all the evils.

I think due to Microsoft's own recent massive f**k ups, Sony will get a pass on this.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a personal level, it doesn't bother me as I'm already as PS+ subscriber, and my £40 which will be paying for enhanced PS4 online functionality as well as all of the PS3 and PS Vita benefits I already get. So for me, it's nothing short of a bargain. I'm sure lots of other existing members will feel the same way.

For anybody migrating from Xbox Live, well they are used to paying for online, but will be getting added benefits on PS4.

The only people really affected will be those that aren't already paying. I'm sure that some of them will be miffed, but Sony aren't doing anything that Microsoft haven't done for years, and it's a much better value package overall.
  • flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only people really affected will be those that aren't already paying. I'm sure that some of them will be miffed, but Sony aren't doing anything that Microsoft haven't done for years, and it's a much better value package overall.

Speaking as one of those people, personally it doesn't bother me - but I only play single player anyway, not interested in online at all...

Edit - I also can't help thinking that the introduction of plus was a way of getting people used to paying, so they could do this with the PS4.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its very disappointing IMHO. I really don't like the concept of paying a subscription to access content on games I buy.

The fact I have PS+ and will continue to subscribe to PS+ so this wont effect me still doesn't change the fact I think this is wrong and a bad move from Sony.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    On the plus side, it does make PLUS look better by the fact it covers three platforms, if you've been a member for a long time you've got a stack of PS3 Games, a stack of VITA games and now Online for the PS4 and even PS4 games coming to it.

It's a little annoying about Online switching to Paid, ...but really, looking at the alternative, it's the least damaging method, we also don't have Online Passes anymore so each person just needs a PLUS Subscription.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    As long as they keep the free games coming... I couldn't care less.
  • Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they could of got away with having Online games for free. They have for 6 years now, so I don't get the need to start charging now.. However it is only £40, and even cheaper in some other places, as a COD player I suppose it is worth the money.
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I posted this on the E3 thread but figured i'd do the same here.

Sony have confirmed that only online multiplayer is behind a pay wall, so you can still access Lovefilm, Netflix etc without paying for plus. Only a small difference but there it is. I'm a little dissapointed that they have done this, not for me personally because I already subscribe, but for others it may be a big deal, it's always been a selling point for PS3. I guess they have to pay for streaming through Gaikai somehow.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    The biggest selling point for PS+ is the games, games and games. Without that I would not subscribe.

It's now over to Xbox Live to match it!
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    I pay for Plus now & would've paid for it again anyway for the content, so makes no difference to me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As is clear from the above posts people pay for Plus because of the awesome content and service they provide so I dont see why Sony felt the need to strong arm people into paying for their awesome service by making it mandatory to play online. The service sells itself (As they alluded to in the conference) so don't hold online play to ransom.
  • DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    Im not a PS Plus subscriber YET but i plan to be and im happy with how the Ps4 sounds and looks so im willing to pay a fee to play online :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the stuff they give you its an easy sell

Xbox live gold:
    Price: 39.99 (or cheaper)
    What you get: access to multiplayer, access to services you have already paid for elsewhere and discounts on stuff you where probably not going to buy

PS+
    What you get access to about 77 games (i'm adding the first 12 PS4 games to the list) and access to multiplayer
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    thomas2400 wrote: »

Xbox live gold:
    What you get: access to multiplayer, access to services you have already paid for elsewhere and discounts on stuff you where probably not going to buy

PS+
    What you get access to about 77 games (i'm adding the first 12 PS4 games to the list) and access to multiplayer

To play devils advocate - MS are also giving free games away with gold subs now. The ones announced are not new but future titles could well be.
  • General LunacyGeneral Lunacy Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »

Xbox live gold:

PS+

PS3 user here who isn't currently on PS+

What do mean by access to 77 games? Are these free games you can play? Full on games, or..?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PS3 user here who isn't currently on PS+

What do mean by access to 77 games? Are these free games you can play? Full on games, or..?

They're full games. PS+ is basically a long term rental service, new games are added each month which if you claim them are yours to download and play for as long as you subscribe. The longer you subscribe the larger your rental collection grows, if you stop subscribing you lose access to those games.

You don't even have to download them to keep them, as long as you 'buy' them for free you can download them even after they have stopped been offered to users on the PS+ section.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy House was clear to say, in the build-up to the PS+ section, that they wanted to make PSN the "best online gaming network" which to me suggests they'll be reinvesting PS+ subscriptions (if they haven't already, into improving the network infastructure to bring it on a par with XBL.
  • General LunacyGeneral Lunacy Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    They're full games. PS+ is basically a long term rental service, new games are added each month which if you claim them are yours to download and play for as long as you subscribe. The longer you subscribe the larger your rental collection grows, if you stop subscribing you lose access to those games.

You don't even have to download them to keep them, as long as you 'buy' them for free you can download them even after they have stopped been offered to users on the PS+ section.

Sounds pretty good. Thanks for explaining.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Not everyone has the money to buy games and pay to play online.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alternate wrote: »
    To play devils advocate - MS are also giving free games away with gold subs now. The ones announced are not new but future titles could well be.

Only until the Xbox One comes out and it's only 2 games a month (i.e. 10-12 games).
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    I also think Sony we're planning this for a while, on PSN they kept pushing that offer where if you buy PLUS for a year, you got an additional Three Months for Free and you could buy it multiple times and keep getting those additional three months for free. If a lot of people bought into that then their PLUS is already active well into next year, possibly peaking towards the fall, so they have all that time to use it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alternate wrote: »
    Only until November.

It isn't a new Xbox LIVE Gold feature, just a promo until the release of Xbox One.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Already a + subscriber so business as usual :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have never brought ps plus but is it best to buy it now.

will it be the same price when the ps4 comes out.