Connecting My PC to TV Using VGA Cable No Sound

VGA Pc to TV Cable Kit - No Sound.?

I have purchased a VGA PC to TV Cable Kit

This one - http://www.shoppingcentre.net/shop/v...kit-p-425.html

It arrived today, and I have spent the last two hours trying to get it to work.

I have hooked up the VGA cables and splitter, and the connection is perfect. The picture is brilliant.

But I am having no luck whatsoever with the sound.

As you can see they have provided me with a RCA cable. One end is black, the other end has two of them, one red, one white.

I have plugged the coloured RCA cables into the back of my TV - into the R and L holes, and have plugged the black lead into the headphone socket on my PC. which did nothing.

I then plugged it into the Green hole which has another 5 different colours with it.

I cannot get sound no matter what I try.

Does anybody know the solution?

Along with the Panel of 6 different colours holes, I have Black and Orange holes near where you plug the keyboard/mouse in. It says Digital audio on them, and I have tried plugging the lead into both of them, but I had to force them in and out, and even when they were in nothing happened still.

I am at the end of my tether?

Please help

Thankyou

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mugabe wrote: »
    VGA Pc to TV Cable Kit - No Sound.?

I have purchased a VGA PC to TV Cable Kit

This one - http://www.shoppingcentre.net/shop/v...kit-p-425.html

It arrived today, and I have spent the last two hours trying to get it to work.

I have hooked up the VGA cables and splitter, and the connection is perfect. The picture is brilliant.

But I am having no luck whatsoever with the sound.

As you can see they have provided me with a RCA cable. One end is black, the other end has two of them, one red, one white.

I have plugged the coloured RCA cables into the back of my TV - into the R and L holes, and have plugged the black lead into the headphone socket on my PC. which did nothing.

I then plugged it into the Green hole which has another 5 different colours with it.

I cannot get sound no matter what I try.

Does anybody know the solution?

Along with the Panel of 6 different colours holes, I have Black and Orange holes near where you plug the keyboard/mouse in. It says Digital audio on them, and I have tried plugging the lead into both of them, but I had to force them in and out, and even when they were in nothing happened still.

I am at the end of my tether?

Please help

Thankyou

first of all your link doesnt work!

secondly...I expect you are connecting to the wrong socket on your TV.

there is usually a "PC audio IN" it will be near the VGA input, on the back of the telly.
    it will only be one socket... and small... so you just need an aux cable like this
    http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/SKQUE-Black-3.5mm-Auxiliary-Cable/4923612/product.html

most people will have one of these lying around their home anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ps you might have done some damage do your digital audio connections on the back of your PC by forcing an analogue plug into them!

with stuff like this - if it doesn't fit in easily... its not the right plug. you should never have to force anything!
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    Yes, VGA is picture only - the sound input will be a 3.5mm stereo jack socket near the VGA socket, you connect this to the audio out on your PC (which is also a 3.5mm stereo jack).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    I am a complete technophobe is it possible for me to connect my standard laptop to my Sony Bravia tv to watch you tube on my tv's large screen?
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lawn wrote: »
    I am a complete technophobe is it possible for me to connect my standard laptop to my Sony Bravia tv to watch you tube on my tv's large screen?

Definitely. :)
    But you'd have to give exact models of laptop and TV for us to tell you which cables to buy. ;)
    (or tell us what audio and video sockets each has)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have a look if your laptop has a HDMI output as this is probably the easiest and cheapest way to connect your computer to the tv.

once you have done this, you can watch ipayer, itv player, 5od, 4 on-demand, and loads of other things it really openes up your viewing capabilities and is well worth doing!
  • Cambridge-RobCambridge-Rob Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I have similar issues.
    TV is Sony 32-EX503, Laptop is a Dell Vostro.

I believe I need VGA(male) to VGA(male) + stereo jack to stereo jack.
    Please confirm.
    Is it easy to make sure the PC picture fully occupies the screen?

This Sony says it plays JPG and MP3 from USB.
    Sticking camera in USB works OK.
    Sticking in a USB memory stick with MP3s does not ???

Thanks

Rob
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I have similar issues.
    TV is Sony 32-EX503, Laptop is a Dell Vostro.

I believe I need VGA(male) to VGA(male) + stereo jack to stereo jack.
    Please confirm.
    Is it easy to make sure the PC picture fully occupies the screen?

This Sony says it plays JPG and MP3 from USB.
    Sticking camera in USB works OK.
    Sticking in a USB memory stick with MP3s does not ???

Thanks

Rob

Assuming your laptop has only VGA out, then yes you need male to male VGA and 3.5mm stereo jack to 3.5mm stereo jack.
    Make sure you use the correct audio in on the TV. ;)

As to getting the picture to fill the screen satisfactorily, that will depend very much on what computer resolutions the TV accepts through VGA. (I've looked at the specs online, but it isn't detailed)

The TV's native resolution is 1920x1080, and if you wanted to use the TV as your main monitor it would be best to set the screen resolution at that in the laptop. That would give you the best picture.

However I think your laptop screen is 1366x768, so if you just wanted to clone the laptop screen to the TV to watch occasional video, then you may find the TV accepts that resolution, and will show it full screen? Either check in the manual, or use trial and error. :D

Not sure about your USB problem, sorry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    RESURRECTION

Tv is a BUSH IDLCD26TV22HD. PC is erm.......a PC

PC has VGA and DVI ports, the latter I put a DVI-VGA adaptor in. TV has HDMI slot which is for Virgin box.

Got this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330733437073?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 and this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270544205343?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 to go between the 2.

HOWEVER...........when I connected up the VGA-phono to the converted DVI slot, whilst monitor was plugged into its normal VGA slot, and turned PC on, monitor didn't respond. Also, as we don't have remote for TV, it's a bit of a nightmare trying to work out what needs to be done.

Any suggestions?

Ta
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK several things.

Is the DVI socket on the PC DVI-I or not? DVI-I is a hybrid connector with connections for both DVI and VGA. It is possible the connector is physically a DVI-I type but is not wired for VGA. In which case the adapter plug will not work. So the first check would be to plug your VGA monitor into it to make sure.

Secondly VGA is not component so I'm not entirely sure how that VGA to Component lead is supposed to work.

And what exactly have you plugged the other end of that lead into on the back of the telly? If it does not have component video inputs then it won't work anyway. There would normally be five phono sockets in a group, red, green and blue for the video signals and a red and white for the audio. Not seen many TVs with jack for the audio though.

It is possible that if you plugged the VGA lead into some random set of connectors on the back of the TV that it could screw up the graphics card.

By far the easiest connection would be DVI to HDMI. They are electrically compatible so a simple lead with appropriate plugs each end will do the job.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    OK several things.

Is the DVI socket on the PC DVI-I or not? DVI-I is a hybrid connector with connections for both DVI and VGA. It is possible the connector is physically a DVI-I type but is not wired for VGA. In which case the adapter plug will not work. So the first check would be to plug your VGA monitor into it to make sure.
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 is the graphics card. I plugged the monitor into the adaptor, and all was good.
    And what exactly have you plugged the other end of that lead into on the back of the telly? If it does not have component video inputs then it won't work anyway. There would normally be five phono sockets in a group, red, green and blue for the video signals and a red and white for the audio. Not seen many TVs with jack for the audio though
    . The leads are plugged into the Y Pb Pr slots on back of TV. Speaking to a friend, he suggested the red, green and blue for video, and a 3.5 jack for the audio.
    It is possible that if you plugged the VGA lead into some random set of connectors on the back of the TV that it could screw up the graphics card.
    As far as I'm aware, they are plugged ito the correct ones.
    By far the easiest connection would be DVI to HDMI. They are electrically compatible so a simple lead with appropriate plugs each end will do the job.
    I'm beginning to wonder this now :o

Ta for your help.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the specs of that card it has HDMI on it and the ability to connect to a soundcard internally for audio. So that would be even easier.

http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-520

I have my doubts that you will get a VGA to component lead to work so HDMI might be the better option.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    I have my doubts that you will get a VGA to component lead to work so HDMI might be the better option.

There's no such thing - what he's bought is a lead specifically for a games console, it's NOT a converter or adaptor, it simply connects to the component connections inside the console via the VGA type socket. It won't work with VGA, as nothing apart from that specific console has component outputs wired to a VGA style socket.

As his TV has VGA, he just needs a VGA lead for picture, and a 3.5mm stereo jack lead for audio. You can select the VGA input using the buttons on the TV (no remote needed), I ran a Bush set as a monitor for a number of months, and only rarely bothered getting the remote out.