Pin Protection on Sky

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
Forum Member
Is anyone finding the pin protection a little bit annoying. I was flicking channels on the weekend (after 9pm) and it was still asking me for my pin on certain movies on Sky. I even had to put my pin in for a channel 4 movie (Passion of Christ).

Comments

• RidcullyRidcully Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    yep. The changes to the movie channels has now made it alsomost impossible to flick thought these. The options has disable pin for pre watershed playback, why can't it have one for live tv as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Plus I was just curious as I have a standard Sky Box.

What if you have SKY + and you set a movie for record, will it just record the screen saying please type in your pin or the movie itself
  • Martyn1Martyn1 Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The other night (thursday I think) Sin Cities on Bravo at 10pm was pin protected. But on Bravo+1 at 11pm it was not pin protected. The show is flagged up on the EPG is being an '18' programme, but its very annoying that it was blcoekd by the pin! Anything we can do?

I have checked the set up menu on my standard digibox and all the pin protection is turned off, so no channel should be blocked at all, but still this show on bravo was blocked by the pin? :(
  • d3mond3mon Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    singh100 wrote:
    What if you have SKY + and you set a movie for record, will it just record the screen saying please type in your pin or the movie itself
    It'll record the movie.

hth
  • rfwrfw Posts: 833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do have to hand it to Sky for putting a positive spin on this:

not:
    'OFCOM insist we PIN-protect pre-watershed films so you will have to mess about with PINs a lot of the time'

but:
    'Now we can PIN protect films you can watch adult material during the day, isn't that wonderful?'

Just try and record the bloody things with an ordinary Sky box, that's all.

By the way, if you don't have the kids problem, I recommend changing your PIN to 9999, which at least makes it easier when you do have to input it. (If you're a Satanist you could use 6666.)
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfw wrote:
    You do have to hand it to Sky for putting a positive spin on this:

not:
    'OFCOM insist we PIN-protect pre-watershed films so you will have to mess about with PINs a lot of the time'

but:
    'Now we can PIN protect films you can watch adult material during the day, isn't that wonderful?'

Just try and record the bloody things with an ordinary Sky box, that's all.

By the way, if you don't have the kids problem, I recommend changing your PIN to 9999, which at least makes it easier when you do have to input it. (If you're a Satanist you could use 6666.)
    That's the short of it though.

There would be nothing to complain about otherwise because they'd be showing Us and PGs all day.

Not really ideal for Sky Movies Horror.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I set mine to 1234 as its pretty easy to remember.

It would be useful though if you put the movie channel on and put your pin in once it didnt ask for it when the next movie starts on the same channel. Surely if you are ok watching one you are ok with all untill you change channel, that way it would be easier to record them, at least a little without sky+.

I do think its better we get rated movies in the day but there needs to be a better way to do it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Surely they could set it so that the pin is active for several min when entered so if you want to flick about you only enter it every 5 min. More than enough time to decide what to watch and would safeguard children.

Saying that there should be the option for the account holder to switch the pin service off all together. We have no kids and don't need protecting from anything so why should we be forced to use it. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dellwear wrote:
    Saying that there should be the option for the account holder to switch the pin service off all together. We have no kids and don't need protecting from anything so why should we be forced to use it. :(

I quite agree: but this wasn't Sky's decision, it was forced on them by OFCOM.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    So you need to enter the PIN every time you switch channels? Lets say from Sky Movies to BBC and then back to Sky Movies
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you need to enter the PIN every time you switch channels? Lets say from Sky Movies to BBC and then back to Sky Movies

Every time you tune and retune to a movie channel showing a PIN movie you will have to input the PIN again. While the PIN is annoying if you want to flick between the different movie channels it is far less annoying than 10 channels full of the old daytime child friendly films that the channels have been plagued with since they started.

As someone has already said, just change your PIN to 1111 or something easy and it doesnt become as bad of a problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes.

If you leave your box on all the time (which a lot of people will do), you wont want the kids to be able to just turn on the TV and be able to watch everything because the PIN was entered before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    d3mon wrote:
    It'll record the movie.

hth

And once it's recorded if you try to watch it before watershed then you will be required to enter your pin.
  • BundymanBundyman Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    How do you change your PIN

I don't even know what mine is
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bundyman wrote:
    How do you change your PIN

I don't even know what mine is

It should be the last 4 digits on your original smartcard, if not ring SKY and set up a new PIN number.
  • BundymanBundyman Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    Jarrak wrote:
    It should be the last 4 digits on your original smartcard, if not ring SKY and set up a new PIN number.

Thanks...i'll have to call them then.

They changed the card sometime ago & the new last 4 digits don't work
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Generix wrote:
    And once it's recorded if you try to watch it before watershed then you will be required to enter your pin.

You can turn it off for watching recordings on Sky+.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, yes, I know there are a thousand threads on this. I picked this one.

Has anyone else been prompted for their PIN to watch Wallace and Gromit Curse of the wererabbit?

Just wondering if it is the sky movie channel or the rubbish pin software on VM (I'm on cable). It would be useful to know if SKy people are being prevented from watching a childrens movie with clay puppets at 8pm in the evening.

If you're ok I shall take my rant to the cable forum.

You've been a smashing audience.

:D
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PIN parental protection (on Sky at least) is based on data input into the EPG by the channel provider, so there is a possibility that human error has input the wrong data - assuming it is a U, PG (or I believe 12) certificate it should not require the PIN - there is also the possibility that some interference at some point in its transmission to satellite, back down and through the cable network caused an error in the data giving the same effect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote:
    Yes, yes, I know there are a thousand threads on this. I picked this one.

Has anyone else been prompted for their PIN to watch Wallace and Gromit Curse of the wererabbit?

Just wondering if it is the sky movie channel or the rubbish pin software on VM (I'm on cable). It would be useful to know if SKy people are being prevented from watching a childrens movie with clay puppets at 8pm in the evening.

If you're ok I shall take my rant to the cable forum.

You've been a smashing audience.

:D

Virgin Media's current system requires a PIN prompt on all of the channels (that use a PIN) all day.

Once everyone has the Virgin Media branded EPG software, they can implement a better system.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky box won't let me watch swordfish tonight. Asks me for a pin number, but the last 4 digits of my card don't work. Sky won't help me because we cancelled a while back, I was basically paying just for E4 and more4 (so annoying freeview doesn't work here).
    The man at Sky mumbled on about people have requested a film that's on before it should be, channel 4 are showing but only to sky customers or something like that. Made no sense to me!

edit to add - strangely it's suddenely started working at 10pm.
  • tonyktonyk Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    If this is a function of Ofcom how do they stop you viewing the 18cats on Freeview boxes?
  • jon41jon41 Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tonyk wrote:
    If this is a function of Ofcom how do they stop you viewing the 18cats on Freeview boxes?

Freeview doesn't have sky movies or any channles that would show an 18 cert before the watershed so therefore there is no need for this function but it is an interesting thought. Obviously the freeview boxes should have all had smartcards but this was said to be too costly when the service launched.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Freeview has channel 4 though?
  • tonyktonyk Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    That was exactly my point!, So why is it only on SKY???