help. issue with sky plus wiring

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
Forum Member
hi,

just moved into a new place and decided to be clever and run all wiring that i could ever need under the floors before they were laid. My problem is that, i didnt know sky plus required 2 cables :( (i know i should have checked)

What i have now is a sky dish with 2 cables running into my bedroom (which is where the distributer is) from there the satallite cables are run into the other rooms.

My original plan was to have the sky plus box in the living room, which will be picking up the feed from the cable i've run, but as mentioned above i only run one cable.

What i was wondering is, can i take the 2 cables which come from the LNB then have both signals go down one cable, then at the other end (in the living room) split them back out to 2 cables, thus allowing my sky plus to work ? is this even possible, with some sort of 2 input 1 output device ?

or are there any other options that i havent looked at ? the last thing i want to do is run another cable across the house. Ive heard about a stacker /destacker but that seems a little expensive.

Alternatively, at the moment im running my sky plus box from the bedroom, and using one of those magic eye things in the living room, but its not exactly scart quality running it through the RF, so is there anything that will make my reception a lot clearer if there is no easy solution to the above?

apologies if this does'nt make sense, im new to all this, and slowly understanding how all this actually works.

Thanks in advance.

taz

Comments

• ExskyengineerExskyengineer Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To get the most out of Sky+ (picture and audio) I would say the best way is to get some more cable in maybe an external run. Not ideal but easier than lifting floors.
    As you say using a magic eye will only give mono audio and rf picture quality, A stacker is more expensive than a length of cable and a couple of f connectors!

Regards

Darren
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Presumably it's all coax you ran under the floor?
    Stacker de-stacker would be your best option but as you say it aint the cheapest.
    Other than the magic eye approach have you looked into wireless video senders?
    Doesnt really matter if they can control the remote as you could put a magic eye in for that aspect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    cheers guys,so far it is looking towards some extra wiring, the prob with my living room is bang in the middle of everything else, so either way ill have to have some wires showing.

birddog, yes it is coax all through the house, i looked into wireless video senders but i wasn't sure about the quality of what they will be like. have you had experience with these ?

im kicking myself now, should have spent 10 minutes researching the sky plus box and ill have wirefree house now, lol. ah well.
  • ExskyengineerExskyengineer Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Video senders are ok but some do suffer with interference from dect phones and microwave ovens, I'm sure someone here will recomend a decent one.

Regards

Darren
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    Video senders are ok but some do suffer with interference from dect phones and microwave ovens, I'm sure someone here will recomend a decent one.

As long as you don't have wireless broadband?, WiFi wipes it out as well!.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thought - do you have a normal TV aerial feed as well as the satellite feed to your lounge?

If so you might be able to multiplex the second Satellie signal onto the TV terestrial cable and so get two cables to your lounge.

These are quite simple passive conectors at each end.

The reputation of the stacker / de stacker solution is that it is complicated and has a tendency to go wrong (though one supplier I spoke to blamed the users) but others told me to keep away unless there is no other solution.

Hope that helps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    just a thought and shoot me down if you think its really stupid...

What sort of cable run do you have from your dish to your box? i.e. right angles etc..
    Have you thought of using a draw cord? attached a thin strong cord to your exisiting coax at one end, and pull that through the cable run using your current coax?

then attach the 2 coax.. i belive if you hunt around you can get some proper thinn coax and then use the draw cord to pull it through
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    clarrky wrote:
    just a thought and shoot me down if you think its really stupid...

What sort of cable run do you have from your dish to your box? i.e. right angles etc..
    Have you thought of using a draw cord? attached a thin strong cord to your exisiting coax at one end, and pull that through the cable run using your current coax?

then attach the 2 coax.. i belive if you hunt around you can get some proper thinn coax and then use the draw cord to pull it through

Good thinking! Could possibly pull through a length of 'shotgun' cable using the original.