WB working on "Justice League" movie

Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
Forum Member
From the Onion AV Club:
Today Variety adds another sketchily drawn panel with the news that Warner Bros. has hired Gangster Squad writer Will Beall—who's already dabbled in the creation of his own parallel earths by writing remakes of Logan's Run and Lethal Weapon—and tasked him with crafting just the latest version of a Justice League movie,

http://www.avclub.com/articles/its-time-to-start-talking-about-a-justice-league-m,79952/

Note to WB- get Bruce Timm and/or Paul Dini
working on this film-those are the guys
who made the DC Animated shows a successful.

Comments

• Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be expected, really.

I predict that it won't get anywhere...
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    To be expected, really.

Expect the Asylum to rush out a "Justness Revengers"
    flick soon...starring "Super Guy", "Bronze Man",
    "Sargeant America", "Owl Bloke", "Dingo-Verine"
    "Wonder Lady" and "Black Divorcee".

Guest-starring Lorenzo Lamas as "Purgatory Boy". ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    To be expected, really.

I first read about this around 6+ years ago when Joss Whedon was still on Wonder Woman.
    Forum Member
    jy1541 wrote: »
    I first read about this around 6+ years ago when Joss Whedon was still on Wonder Woman.

It strikes me that rushing a JL movie into production just
    to compete with "The Avengers" is a bad
    idea- after all, "The Avengers" took several years and several commerically successful movies to get
    going (only "the Incredible Hulk" was unsuccessful at the
    box office). And the Nolan Batmans haven't been tied into a JLA movie like the Marvel ones did. The Green Lantern
    film did show other heroes existing, but it was
    such a flop I doubt WB wants to touch it again.
    Will Snyder's Superman flick mention other
    superheroes existing in the film's world?

How about doing a DC superhero team movie featuring
    characters unfamilar to the general public,
    like the Teen Titans (kids already know them
    from the cartoon), the Seven Soldiers of
    Victory or the Doom Patrol? "X-Men" showed movie
    audiences can buy the superhero team consisting
    of relatively unknown characters- no reason why
    WB couldn't make a Teen Titans flick
    for 2013-14.
    Seems like a better idea, instead of spending ages setting up Superman, Batman etc flicks leading to a JL film,
    (and being accused of "ripping off Marvel Studios'
    approach") or rushing a bad JL flick into production.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, for all it's faults, the Green Lantern movie was pretty damn close to the mythology in the comic (apart from generic smoke-monster "Parallax") in terms of look and set-up.
    And it obviously just didn't work for the bulk of the mainstream audience.

If I was WB, I would wait for the audience reaction to "Man of Steel" before firming up any plans, and maybe use that as a "springboard" for a league movie, in a similar style that Iron Man worked.

I know it's been in development hell for literally decades, but they need to think about how this is handled.
    Avengers will be the benchmark for super-hero films now. And hats-off for Marvel for playing the introduction of the team so well, keeping fans and mainstream audiences so entertained.

They can't just create a league film with most of the cast unknown to the bulk of the audience.
    If we assume that the line-up will be;
    Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman and (maybe) Cyborg or Martian Manhunter.
    As is the current line-up (and previous core members).
    Most people will know Supes and Bats, and their origins.
    A few people will know of Wonder Woman and maybe GL, but only comic fans will know the others.

The reason Avengers worked so well, was that people were already aware of the characters (even if they hadn't seen the core films) and wanted to see how they interracted as a group.

Call me cynical, but I'll be surprised if we see anything within the next few years, and if we do ... I'd love to see it work well, but ...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wulfster wrote: »
    To be fair, for all it's faults, the Green Lantern movie was pretty damn close to the mythology in the comic (apart from generic smoke-monster "Parallax") in terms of look and set-up.
    And it obviously just didn't work for the bulk of the mainstream audience.

If I was WB, I would wait for the audience reaction to "Man of Steel" before firming up any plans, and maybe use that as a "springboard" for a league movie, in a similar style that Iron Man worked.

I know it's been in development hell for literally decades, but they need to think about how this is handled.
    Avengers will be the benchmark for super-hero films now. And hats-off for Marvel for playing the introduction of the team so well, keeping fans and mainstream audiences so entertained.

They can't just create a league film with most of the cast unknown to the bulk of the audience.
    If we assume that the line-up will be;
    Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman and (maybe) Cyborg or Martian Manhunter.
    As is the current line-up (and previous core members).
    Most people will know Supes and Bats, and their origins.
    A few people will know of Wonder Woman and maybe GL, but only comic fans will know the others.

The reason Avengers worked so well, was that people were already aware of the characters (even if they hadn't seen the core films) and wanted to see how they interracted as a group.

Call me cynical, but I'll be surprised if we see anything within the next few years, and if we do ... I'd love to see it work well, but ...

I think the problem DC have is that their characters haven't aged very well, they aren't very interesting in the modern world. I know they're attempting to change this in the comics, but most people don't read comics, certainly not enough to make a big budget film successful.
    Forum Member
    jy1541 wrote: »
    I think the problem DC have is that their characters haven't aged very well, they aren't very interesting in the modern world. I know they're attempting to change this in the comics, but most people don't read comics, certainly not enough to make a big budget film successful.

I always thought DC's Captain Marvel or Plastic Man
    would make a good, light-hearted kids' movie. Not
    every superhero flick has to be as grim as
    "The Dark Knight" or as angsty as the X-Men
    series.

Given DC head honcho Dan Didio reportedly doesn't like
    Captain Marvel though, I doubt we're gonna have a
    "Shazam" flick anytime soon... :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought DC's Captain Marvel or Plastic Man
    would make a good, light-hearted kids' movie. Not
    every superhero flick has to be as grim as
    "The Dark Knight" or as angsty as the X-Men
    series.

Given DC head honcho Dan Didio reportedly doesn't like
    Captain Marvel though, I doubt we're gonna have a
    "Shazam" flick anytime soon... :(

They're just re-booting the origin story now, and they've already stated that the name "Captain Marvel" will not be in use.
    It'll be Shazam all the way ... and I very much doubt we'll see him on the screen anytime soon..

Just out of interest ... Mark Millar's "Superior" is quite close to the concept of Captain Marvel, and Matthew Vaughn has purchased the movie rights to that, which could be a cool film.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    So rumours that Warners Bros are going to announce at Comic Con that Man Of Steel 2 is going to be a Batman/Superman team up in 2015,a Flash film in 2016 and a Justice League film in 2017
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This film will not come out in 2015. They have no faith beyond Superman/Batman and are unwilling to take the risk in promoting new heroes.
    Forum Member
    I think everybody has accepted that a JL film will not be out in 2015 especially its rumoured that Warner Brothers will offically announce it at Comic Con as being released in 2017!
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if we may get Wonder Woman for 2016? Its the character 75th anniversary that year so its not out of the question but its had been in development hell for so long.
    Forum Member
    I would be very suprised at a Wonder Woman film in 2016 after these recent rumours as it seems that Warner Brothers plan to release one DC film a year!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have just announced at Comic Con that Man of Steel 2 will feature Batman.
  • RonSwanson92RonSwanson92 Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably going to be called "The World's Finest". I just hope they don't have batman and superman facing off through the whole movie.
  • Ben_FreemanBen_Freeman Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Yes I can't wait
  • YorkshireKatYorkshireKat Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meh...I don't think Batman should have a prominent role in Man Of Steel 2 I think Henry Cavill should carry the movie and set up a brief cameo appearance with Batman, then do the inevitable reboot Batman movie then the Justice League, the way it's happening now just sounds rushed and forced.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Meh...I don't think Batman should have a prominent role in Man Of Steel 2 I think Henry Cavill should carry the movie and set up a brief cameo appearance with Batman, then do the inevitable reboot Batman movie then the Justice League, the way it's happening now just sounds rushed and forced.

All true, looks like Warner Brothers were spooked by the mixed reception for MOS and have panicked.
    Forum Member
    Yeah and I think they want to start the build up to a Justice League film as soon as possible and this they think is the best way to do it.Even if it does seem a bit rushed!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I actually really don't like this idea. I want a Man of Steel sequel, not a film that's torn between Superman and Batman. If they want to do a crossover movie featuring them both then that's fine, but it shouldn't all be shoehorned into MOS2.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the superhero film fad is just about over now?
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I actually really don't like this idea. I want a Man of Steel sequel, not a film that's torn between Superman and Batman. If they want to do a crossover movie featuring them both then that's fine, but it shouldn't all be shoehorned into MOS2.

I'm not a fan but Man of Steel is a great starting point to establish Superman's cinemtatic presenance and further build upon his character. Including Batman so soon, will dilute and compromise his credabiltiy and shift the focus onto a charcter who doesn't need the screen time.
  • paul_jtpaul_jt Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Must confess that the frequent rumours about a Superman/Batman combo or Justice League films have never really excited me, even with Gina Carano as Wonder Women.

Two films; Man of Steel 2 then Justice League, does give some scope to introduce a new Batman and unknown actor. Though I share the concerns of compromising the Man of Steel franchise and Cavill in particular.

As both a Batman and Nolan fan, dearly hope Bale stands firm and does not make a comeback.

The future of Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character in Rises is clearly as Gotham's protector (precise persona aside). He could be Batman in the Man of Steel universe, and has the advantage of being a known quantity. Equally he could be Nightwing in a spin-off. Most important is that any return must be done well or not at all. Casting Tom Conti as his manservant would be fantastic.

A left-field choice, given Frank Millers acclaimed The Dark Knight Returns is a reported source of inspiration, would be Chris O'Donnell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    get Bruce Timm and Paul Dini involved!

Agree with that...the animated series they did were so well crafted and they know how to structure it so well! <3

And i feel the Superman/Batman team up film will be sensational...it has been promised way too long...and FINALLY we will have it...and YAY to FLash: The Crimson SPeedster. i just wish Wonder Woman to have her own movie too....it would be sensational!

And the way the DC superheroes were handeled in the Justice League animated series (2002 - 2006) it showcases that heroes can adapt to any time zone and any situation...DC all the way for me :) So here is to it :)...but i would love Wonder Woman to have her own film before a JL movie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    Surely the superhero film fad is just about over now?

It's not exactly a fad, especially considering that comic book movies are grossing more and more at the box office these days (Iron Man 3 grossed over $1.2 billion this year), so they wont be going anywhere for quite some time yet.