Was Helen Mirren the only winner at The Oliviers last night?

Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm glad I watched the Olivier highlights on ITV last night, otherwise I wouldn't have a clue who had won even the major categories.

According to the breakfast news on both the BBC and ITV, Helen Mirren was the only nominee, the only winner, the only one worth having a look at on the red carpet and the only acceptance speech worth showing a clip of.

Yes, she's wonderful, elegant, a national treasure etc., but surely the other winners deserve at least a passing mention? It must be quite disheartening for the other worthy winners to be so completely ignored.

I see she's on the front of all the newspapers too. Why this obsession with Helen Mirren? She's not ACTUALLY The Queen yet!!!

Comments

• DallyDally Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Agree. Luke Treadaway was amazing in the wonderful 'Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time'. He deserved his win and has such a bright future ahead of him. He must be the main (certainly one of) win of the night. Very disappointed not to see his photo anywhere ..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree as well. She's a good actress but not our best imo. And she seems to be believing her own publicity these days.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In fairness, it isn't Helen Mirren's fault, it's down to the media. Clearly, they've focussed on her because they think "She's the one everyone's heard of!" Typical media!:rolleyes:
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was actually more interested in the fact that the lovely Imelda Staunton won an award as well for best female lead in a musical she is up there with Helen in the National treasure status as well
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helen Mirren plays the Queen again. :yawn: She may as well move in to Buck House and replace Her Maj full-time.