Moving home and out of contract ???

rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Should I leave sky and rejoin in the wife's name or move with sky, would I get a better deal as a new customer ?

Comments

• DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That depends how long you have been a customer? do you have Entertainment Extra from the days when they had packs for documentaries, kids, music ect? you might be getting it cheaper than the current price if so it would pay you to stick.

If you haven't got HD and and want it then wait for the new entertainment extra plus to come out as that gives you only the HD channels for entertainment extra packs only for £5 more and if you are paying less at the moment then that will be like getting it for just the full price of entertainment extra!
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you sign up as a new customer, you get new equipment, also, if you use somewhere like Quidco, you could get cash back.

You have to give 31 days notice on your old account, and any recordings on their will be unwatchable once the account is closed, so depends if you want what is on the box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have to give 31 days notice on your old account, and any recordings on their will be unwatchable once the account is closed, so depends if you want what is on the box.

if you close the account about 30 days before you move (so having 1 day left) and open your new account just as your moving so the installer comes round for when youve been there only a few days and dont use your old card and box in that time (or just use the box and not the card), then you will keep the old card active, but you cant use it for a while as the kill signal will be sent more than once, I think it keeps being sent for 2 months.
    You should be able to access most of your recordings on your old box using your new card for the time being and then use the old card later!
    or just transfer the old recordings from the old Hard drive to the new one!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    if you close the account about 30 days before you move (so having 1 day left) and open your new account just as your moving so the installer comes round for when youve been there only a few days and dont use your old card and box in that time (or just use the box and not the card), then you will keep the old card active, but you cant use it for a while as the kill signal will be sent more than once, I think it keeps being sent for 2 months.
    You should be able to access most of your recordings on your old box using your new card for the time being and then use the old card later!
    or just transfer the old recordings from the old Hard drive to the new one!

Removing the card early and leaving it out for 3 months no longer works now they have changed to the white cards, for keeping the Sky+ features.

Also, putting a different card in a box to watch recordings will not work for subscription channels, it has to be the card that made the recording, and in the case of premium (Sky Sports, Sky Movies and HD channels), needs pairing to the box as well. Obviously that card needs an active subscription as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ok fair enough so thats no longer possible well the OP can still transfer the recordings from one boxes' drive to the other!
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ok fair enough so thats no longer possible well the OP can still transfer the recordings from one boxes' drive to the other!

still would need the original viewing card to view them though
  • rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have everything minus films and sports, I have a new type HD box but don't have HD channels

I might phone them to cancel and see what I can get for free, then tell them I'm moving
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, as already stated, it would need the original card that made the recordings to view them back (subscription channels), and as the OP would be cancelling their account, thus having a new card, the old one would be disabled,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, as already stated, it would need the original card that made the recordings to view them back (subscription channels), and as the OP would be cancelling their account, thus having a new card, the old one would be disabled,

Ok so thats completely out then, the only way I can see of keeping any recordings is finding some way of recording them to some external source like a DVD recorder and using a HDMI to component converter to send a recordable HD signal out of the sky box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would I then be able to record onto a PC using the converter
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rottweiler wrote: »
    Would I then be able to record onto a PC using the converter

As long as the PC had a HD capable video capture card, and the right software.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a mac, do you know what software is required
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    read this thread it talks about what you could use:
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1813759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭