New Superman Film :: Man of Steel

Comments

• Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks good from the trailer but that doesn't mean a lot. I'm looking forward to it but I'm keeping my expectations in check just in case it's another ''Superman Returns''.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Empire are posting their review online at 4am so I guess that is when the embargo is lifted on reviews!
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just booked my ticket at Cineworld on Saturday. Can't wait to see that fine piece of booty Henry Cavill in action. Not that I am shallow or anything. :o:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reviews are out. Highly positive. Empire and Total Film both 4/5
  • Davetherave70Davetherave70 Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the reviews I've read are airing towards the disappointing:eek::mad::cry:
  • JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the sounds of it, it looks very heavy on the action and shallow in terms of characterisation but I don't care, I just want to see a decent blockbuster movie and leave the cinema happy which I think this movie will do.
  • thedarklord _thedarklord _ Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those who hated Superman Returns will most likely love Man of Steel from what we've heard from the reviews.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Just saw a UK film critic Boyd Hilton put on twitter that he enjoyed Man Of Steel's relentless spectacle and Henry Cavill is great.But it's humorless and the ending is a generic CGI fest
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the reviews I've read are airing towards the disappointing:eek::mad::cry:

Good but not great seems to be consensus. Too much action but does seem to however have good platforms for sequels.Also to humourless

So lot of action, decent acting, good centrai character, quite serious. Well this is the exact film I was expecting.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Seems that Cavill is one of the weak points with his stilted, humourless portrayal. I don't know why they cast him as he has absolutely no charm whatsoever.
    Forum Member
    Reviews are out. Highly positive. Empire and Total Film both 4/5

Hardly. It's got 71% on RT at the moment, and dropping.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very good, but not great?

So an 'Incredible Hulk' or 'Captain America', than a 'Dark Knight' or 'Iron Man'.

Can't help be a little disappointed, but will still see it and hopefully enjoy it.
    Forum Member
    dmuk wrote: »
    Very good, but not great?

So an 'Incredible Hulk' or 'Captain America', than a 'Dark Knight' or 'Iron Man'.

Can't help be a little disappointed, but will still see it and hopefully enjoy it.

Christ I hope it's better than either of those.
  • RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that it is "humourless" is great.

The one reason I didn't like the earlier films was the light, grit-free tone.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's RT score is dropping very fast, I only looked an hour ago and it was at 82% positive.

Still I think the future of Superman and the DC Cinematic Universe is secured. Whatever the critics say this is going make some serious money.

Personally I still can't wait to see it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hardly. It's got 71% on RT at the moment, and dropping.

I did post that after the initial load of reviews came out. The majority were 4/5, 9/10 with the odd 5/5. So at that time they were.

They have dropped since. However RT seem to be rating 3/5 and 3.5/5 as "Rotten" reviews. They done the same with TDKR.
  • VegetaVegeta Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JaiJai wrote: »
    From the sounds of it, it looks very heavy on the action and shallow in terms of characterisation but I don't care, I just want to see a decent blockbuster movie and leave the cinema happy which I think this movie will do.

Shame, to me a good story and character development is more important than cgi action
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However RT seem to be rating 3/5 and 3.5/5 as "Rotten" reviews. They done the same with TDKR.

it's the reviewer that selects if a film with a 3/5 rating is fresh or rotten, not the site itself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    it's the reviewer that selects if a film with a 3/5 rating is fresh or rotten, not the site itself.

Wow really? Then this review as rotten makes no sense - http://www.villagevoice.com/2013-06-05/film/man-of-steel-superman-movie-review/2/
    In Man of Steel, There's Greatness in the Superman Origin Story
    You'll believe a man can fly -- and is mostly worth watching
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow really? Then this review as rotten makes no sense - http://www.villagevoice.com/2013-06-05/film/man-of-steel-superman-movie-review/2/

Maybe he was in a grumpy mood, or maybe he hit the rotten button in error ;)

But yeah, the reviewer decides if it's fresh or rotten when they upload their reviews to the site, nothing to do with RT at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    So 3008 wrote: »
    It's RT score is dropping very fast, I only looked an hour ago and it was at 82% positive.

Still I think the future of Superman and the DC Cinematic Universe is secured. Whatever the critics say this is going make some serious money.

Personally I still can't wait to see it.

No surprise to me to see detractors keen to fell this one. I couldn't give a monkeys about any of their opinions until I see it for myself, and I'm pretty sure it's going to be everything I wanted from it.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems that Cavill is one of the weak points with his stilted, humourless portrayal. I don't know why they cast him as he has absolutely no charm whatsoever.

That is not what i've been reading. Most of the reviews are praising his portrayal of Clark Kent/Superman. Not read one negative review yet.

The film might be humourless but that's not down to Cavill, that's down to the script and Man of Steel being dark in tone and being a serious and gritty movie. Doesn't bother me one bit. I got loads of humour from Iron Man 3, time for something different me thinks!

If anyone is interested Henry Cavill and Russell Crowe will be on Graham Norton's show this Friday night on BBC1.
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about amy Adams as lois lane?
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now at 69% on RT.

Very disappointing, it has to be said.

Perhaps it's best they don't use Synder for the sequel / JL.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So 3008 wrote: »
    Now at 69% on RT.

Very disappointing, it has to be said.

i prefer to go and see the film at the cinema and make a decision for myself,RT is good,but can have some proper grumpy reviewers on there