The Ratings Thread (Part 46)

Comments

• ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    25 perhaps? Bigger than the royal wedding I'm thinking ;)

ITV Football is massive! Can't wait for the big FA Cup Quarter-final weekend. With ESPN showing the big Saturday night game, ITV's 10.35 highlights show should get a real boost. MOTD is on at 10.25, but this won't pose any threat with none of the big sides in action. Could be MOTD's smallest audience in years! ;)
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    ITV Football is massive! Can't wait for the big FA Cup Quarter-final weekend. With ESPN showing the big Saturday night game, ITV's 10.35 highlights show should get a real boost. MOTD is on at 10.25, but this won't pose any threat with none of the big sides in action. Could be MOTD's smallest audience in years! ;)

I know FA Cup is big in Swindon, but then not much else happens there. In the rest of the country the FA is a bit of an also ran and is never going to compare with the CL.

You can do puff pieces on Breakfast and the weather til the cows come home and warble on about how it used to be in the 1990's, but it doesnt change the marketplace in football in 2013.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well i will be watching mayday tonight lol couldn't give 2 hoots about Man U :)

Join the club, I am one of the antis and would be more interested in how other shows fare against this. However, it should deliver far better than usual ratings in the notorious Tuesday flopzone.
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Syndicate is returning Tuesday 19th March at 9pm. So The Village must surely be on Sunday's? Monday's and Wednesday's are available but I can't really see that.
  • tommygrimshaw25tommygrimshaw25 Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Hi,

Does anyone know what Dispatches, Cornwall with Caroline Quentin, Police Interceptors got last night?

Thanks! :D
  • marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 4 Daytime;

10.00am - Secret Millionaire: US - 111k (2.1%)
    11.00am - Phil Spencer: Secret Agent - 73k (1.4%) :eek:
    12.00pm - Channel 4 News - 61k (1.6%) :eek:
    12.35pm - What's Cooking - 107k (1.6%)
    1.45pm - Place in the Sun - 241k (3.8%)
    2.40pm - Countdown - 467k (7.4%)
    3.30pm - Common Denominator - 356k (4.8%)
    4.00pm - Deal Or No Deal - 1.12m (11.8%)
    5.00pm - Four In a Bed - 1.04m (8.0%)
    5.30pm - Come Dine With Me - 1.23m (7.8%)

Whilst Secret Agent and the Channel 4 News collapsed completely, Countdown went up quite a bit.

DOND figures really impressive after a very poor first two months of 2013. In totally honest, I knew that this would happen. Will probably stay at this level for a while now, but if it drops, then I will be very surprised. This kinda does prove that with better competition, DOND will and can be beaten.

To add to DOND's worries, ITV have recommissioned Tipping Point for 70 more episodes. Something, I'm sure, that will go down well at Horseferry Road.

Elsewhere;
    Pointless - 3.61m (23.7%)
    The Chase - 3.13m (21.9%) (3.42m with a 23.9% inc. +1 & HD)

Clear win for Pointless. Plus with the jackpot growing to record levels, will we see the viewing figures climb to record highs (for the daytime series that is)?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,

Does anyone know what Dispatches, Cornwall with Caroline Quentin, Police Interceptors got last night?

Thanks! :D

Dispatches - 894k (3.6%)
    Cornwall with Caroline Quentin - 3.49m (14.1%)
    Police Interceptors - 890.5k (3.5%)

All excluding +1, but include HD.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,961
    Forum Member
    jda135 wrote: »
    2.40pm - Countdown - 467k (7.4%)

That share is pretty large as well.

Do you have the ratings for Comic Relief Does Glee Club? (CBBC - 16:30 to 17:15)
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic rating for Broadchurch last night and very well deserved. I've been watching Mayday as well, and in terms of quality I think Broadchurch edged Mayday when it came down to the quality of the first episode. I'm not too surprised Mayday lost a significant amount of its debut audience, but it still pulled in a respectable audience against Broadchurch. I can see it dipping further over the next three nights however.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    That share is pretty large as well.

Do you have the ratings for Comic Relief Does Glee Club? (CBBC - 16:30 to 17:15)

213.5k (1.9%)
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ADULTS 18-49 SEASON AVERAGES

1. American Idol (2013, ongoing) - 4.6
    2. The Voice (Fall 2012) - 4.1
    3. The X Factor (Fall 2012) - 2.9
    4. Survivor (Fall 2012) - 2.8
    5. America's Got Talent (Summer 2012) - 2.8

6. The Bachelor (2013, ongoing) - 2.6
    7. The Amazing Race (Fall 2012) - 2.6
    8. Hell's Kitchen (Summer 2012) - 2.5
    9. The Bachelorette (Summer 2012) - 2.5
    10. Masterchef (Summer 2012) - 2.4

11. The Biggest Loser (2013, ongoing) - 2.4
    12. Dancing With The Stars (Fall 2012) - 2.2
    13. Big Brother (Summer 2012) - 2.1
    14. Hotel Hell (Summer 2012) - 2.0
    15. So You Think You Can Dance? (Summer 2012) - 2.0

Idol's ratings are a bit inflated by its big start, ratings are way down at this point but it should still average above a 4.0.

Dancing With The Stars way down the list. You wonder if ABC might want to make it a summer series and move The Bachelorette into the fall schedule? Of course, if Splash turns out to be a hit for them then they'll go with that.

Survivor's endurance is quite remarkable, breaking up the four talent shows in the top 5.

3 entries for Gordon Ramsay in that list as well.

(Unofficial list, but should be pretty much accurate! Based on final overnight ratings).
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,961
    Forum Member
    213.5k (1.9%)

Thanks - though quite poor.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the evening egg-chasing ( ;) ) on Saturday 16th is still down for BBC Two in today's schedule update.

Motorway Cops, Syndicate, Crimewatch, Prisoners' Wives and New Tricks filling BBC One's 9pm weeknight slots.

Lady Vanishes at 8.30pm on Sunday 17th.
  • tommygrimshaw25tommygrimshaw25 Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    @jda135

Thank you!!!!!! :D
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bang Goes the Theory had its biggest ever audience last night - 4m/16.9% at 7.30 on BBC1.

Well done to that, the Beeb have stuck with it through thick and thin and I think the arrival of Maggie Philbin has added a bit of interest to it (as well as helping to avoid accusations of ageism). We hear a lot about how the Beeb are ratings-obsessed and yet they continue to persist with shows like Bang Goes The Theory which has never particularly rated well but earn them PSB points.
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Panorama has had a small cut in episode order (while keeping the same budget to increase quality) so we may see more experimentation at 20:30 on Mondays now and then.

Yes, but if that's the case I'd rather just give Panorama a longer summer break - like in the eighties and nineties when it would only be off for Christmas, Bank Holidays and six weeks in the summer - rather than just missing out odd weeks because the benefit of Panorama is its permanency, there's always somewhere they can cover the main story of the week and it looks odd if it's not on one week. Summer is different.

Like when ITV had News at When, I remember Lorraine Hegessey pointing out that, rather conveniently for the Beeb, almost every major story seemed to break on a day ITV weren't at ten.

Doubt it, this weekend last season they only had two matches, Wigan vs West Brom and Fulham vs Swansea, and it did absolutely fine (and it was the day Muamba collapsed so you can forgive people not wanting to bother with football)*. Man City vs Barnsley isn't a very big game either, given in the last round Man U were on ESPN on the Saturday night and the highlights did middling business.

The only match the leaps off the fixture list in the quarter finals is Man U vs Chelsea which'll probably do very well (though Liverpool on Sky will be a bit of a spoiler), but this highlights show won't. I wonder why they've stopped doing a repeat of the highlights show on Sunday morning, they used to, and if it's opposite MOTD it'll be useful.

This is the first odd-numbered year there are league matches on FA Cup sixth round weekend, usually it would only be in even-numbered years so they could get the season finished in time for the tournaments. Seemingly they've decided it's now easier to do it every season to give them a bit more flexibility in scheduling.
    Clear win for Pointless. Plus with the jackpot growing to record levels, will we see the viewing figures climb to record highs (for the daytime series that is)?

I don't see that happening at all, Pointless is interesting if they're going for £1000 or £20,000. I don't care how much they win. How would people know what the jackpot is if they're not watching it?

* EDIT: Got a peak of 4.2 million, in fact.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    An underwhelming start for Glee Club - below the slot average.
    Well it's proving to be the weakest time of day for BBC1 at the moment (except late night), but it won its slot, so I'm sure they're happy. Think the share was broadly simililar or a bit above Friday.

Friday's Perfection had a share of 16.3%, so Beat the Pack (not made by the same people as Beat the Clock, is it?) was a bit below that with 14.8%. However, it did beat Alan Titchmarsh (773k/11.5% exc +1).

BBC One had a better time elsewhere in daytime. A seventh series of Heir Hunters started with 1.38m (26.6%) at 09:15. Only Fools and Horses is settling back in nicely, with 1.12m and 18.1%, thrashing the Dinner Date repeat (837k/13.4%).

ITV's 19:30 Corrie had an impressive share of 39.1% (39.7% inc +1), but that only serves to underline how well Bang Goes the Theory did to get 16.9% against it.
  • Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    mlt11 wrote: »
    I'm sure BBC and ITV both understand the position very well.

If ITV was actually bothered about winning more "ratings battles" it wouldn't be cutting another £15m off its programme budget in 2013 when it could easily afford to spend more when it is making a Profit before tax of £464m.

But no, ITV isn't interested in "ratings battles" - it's interested in maximising profits and it knows it can do this without spending any more on programming. If it spends more on progarmming it would win a few more "ratings battles" but it wouldn't be more profitable (or at least management doesn't think so) so it doesn't.

BBC is obviously in a different position as its resources are effectively set for it but I see no evidence of BBC fighting "ratings battles" any more or less than before.

It doesn't need to - it's going to win the overall "ratings battle" anyway (partially helped by ITV's behaviour as above - BBC would win easily anyway but ITV spending less than otherwise obviously helps) so it can continue on its existing path of producing a balanced schedule and fulfilling PSB commitments.

Of course the above is all very boring and it's much more fun (for some people) to follow ratings as a competition like people supporting football teams so I'm sure that is what will continue to happen on here.
    i think its massively obvious both sides enjoy beating each other.

ITV moving soaps around to clash.dent Eastenders, moving Corrie to dent Call The Midwife, The Voice and BGT scheduling, X Factor vs Strictly, Christmas Day cat and mouse moves, constant tweets bragging about winning the slot, press releases.

I really don't see how you can say there is no "ratings battle".
  • andrewskatie143andrewskatie143 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    What does the breakdown for broadchurch look to everyone here because if I am reading it wrong- it lost nearly as many viewers as mayday did during sunday?
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,618
    Forum Member
    I think its time panaroma was moved out of primetime to after the news at 10.35pm or after question time at 11.00. Couldn't bbc one experiment with comedy there in that slot.

Broadchurch was very good and hopefully will continue to be over the next few weeks.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    I think its time panaroma was moved out of primetime to after the news at 10.35pm or after question time at 11.00. Couldn't bbc one experiment with comedy there in that slot.

Moving the only current affairs programme on primetime BBC1 out of primetime would be quite the statement of dumbing down and will never happen. They got enough complaints when they moved it to 10pm on Sundays and they specifically moved it to 8.30 to give it more prominence.

It's hardly a millstone, if it's on an interesting subject it rates well and if it's on a dull subject it doesn't, but as a PSB they have to take the hit sometimes. Also, BBC1 would not wish to waste good stuff in that slot opposite Corrie and I don't see what's to experiment given they already do comedy in the same slot on Fridays. And even if BBC1 is weak in that slot, it's often BBC2's best slot of the week and it's all one BBC.
    Forum Member
    Id like to see them pilot comedy shows over eight weeks in that slot and give panaroma a break. The eastenders audience is never fully used and coronation street is never challenged as bbc one is a public service. But eastenders has seen its audience more challenged by a more competitive itv in the form of paul o grady caroline quinten and ray mears. A wildlife show or resurrection of animal hospital or something would take the edge of coronation streets figures. Panorama may see a boost going after the news audience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done to that, the Beeb have stuck with it through thick and thin and I think the arrival of Maggie Philbin has added a bit of interest to it (as well as helping to avoid accusations of ageism). We hear a lot about how the Beeb are ratings-obsessed and yet they continue to persist with shows like Bang Goes The Theory which has never particularly rated well but earn them PSB points.

they only did it because they were embarrased that Brainiac on Sky was delivering science in a more accessible way than anything on the BBC, so they just do an inferior rip off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Id like to see them pilot comedy shows over eight weeks in that slot and give panaroma a break.
    Mrs Browns Boys replacing Panorama :eek: Why dont you just go into the National Gallery and start slashing the paintings too :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Panaromas audience would be best served post news on monday evening I think they should return animal hospital to that post enders slot with a sexy young presenter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ET maybe? Could be big tonight with all the twists and turns.
This discussion has been closed.