Nickelodeon on Freeview ?

David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
Forum Member
✭✭
Media website BroadcastNow is reporting that Viacom is looking to acquire a second Freeview slot for children's programmes. The company already operates music and entertainment channel Viva on the platform.

http://www.a516digital.com/2013/02/nickelodeon-on-freeview.html

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This would be great for FV, but doesnt sky have a 50% steak in Nick and Comedy Central? a time share with Nick & CC would be awsome.
  • BangersBangers Posts: 3,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye. Just like when ONdigital was around. On channel 39 we had Nickelodeon from 06:00 to 19:00 and Paramount Comedy (now Comedy Central) from 19:00 to 04:00.

Would love to see a Nickelodeon/Comedy Central timeshare on Freeview, but who knows? Viacom might only be able to obtain a limited hours slot in the daytime.

However, if Nickelodeon did come to DTT, would that wake-up Turner in to thinking of a free to air Cartoon Network on DTT?
  • tompaynetompayne Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    VIVA show a lot of old Comedy Central shows at the moment like South Park, Fresh Prince, etc as well as some MTV things like Punk'd. (I have never watched the channel, except for the occasional music so I am just going by a quick glance at the EPG).

If Nick and Comedy Central did launch as a timeshare, perhaps it would free up VIVA to show heaven forbid some music in the evenings!?! Or more likely more MTV dross.

But the fact that I dont watch, it would still be an excellent addition to Freeview, and my children would be happy having Nick.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They'd probably launch a Freeview specific channel with a different name, like 'Noggin' which used to be on TMF/Viva from 6am-8am.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noggin_(Viva_UK_block)
  • David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    with talk about Argos TV to close. could they have there eye on that slot. unless there is a 24 hour slot up for sale
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I'd love to see a comedy/Noggin channel with classic kids shows in the evening, great idea!
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    with talk about Argos TV to close. could they have there eye on that slot. unless there is a 24 hour slot up for sale

Wales has E4 as a 13th stream on SDN, that capacity is free outside Wales. As SDN can squeeze 13 channels onto a multiplex, it should be technically possible for Arqiva to do the same.

Capacity is potentially available if the demand is high enough.

There's also the question of what will happen to the ESPN and Sky Sports streams should they be removed from DTT.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Prefer Comedy Central myself, not a kids channel but then, im not a kid so why would i want Nickelodeon?
  • Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do part time channels even work though? Usually when I tell someone that a channel is on freeview they assume its 24 hours, although Nick during the day and comedy central at night does sound like it could work.
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Do part time channels even work though? Usually when I tell someone that a channel is on freeview they assume its 24 hours, although Nick during the day and comedy central at night does sound like it could work.
    Part time news channels are obviously not ideal, because of the rolling news nature of content but I see no problem in a part time Freeview slot for a children's service from Viacom. CBBC and CBeebies are part time and are very successful in their field.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    a516 wrote: »
    CBBC and CBeebies are part time and are very successful in their field.

CITV is part-time too, even though it could be 24 hours.

There's not much call for kids' channels late into the evening, for obvious reasons, and I'd imagine a Nick/CC timeshare would be more viable than Nick 24 hours.

There's some assumption here that Viacom are even trying to get a 24hr slot, they might be planning a daytime-only channel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    There's some assumption here that Viacom are even trying to get a 24hr slot, they might be planning a daytime-only channel.

Or a 24hr slot for Nickelodeon, which is 24hr with teleshopping between midnight & 3am.
    Forum Member
    chrisy wrote: »
    There's not much call for kids' channels late into the evening, for obvious reasons, and I'd imagine a Nick/CC timeshare would be more viable than Nick 24 hours.

Aren't most of the children's channels available until late into the evening?

Similarly, for obvious reasons (ie. they are all at school), there can not be much demand for children's channels during the day time.
    Forum Member
    Perhaps Nick (if it does launch) will timeshare with a reduced VIVA, scrapping the music during the daytimes and only having VIVA as a 'comedy/enterainment' evening only channel.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would make sense to have Nickeoden during the day and put a Comedy Central Lite on on in the evening with VIVA programming.

Ditch VIVA and air MTV Hits or MTV Music instead. If they won't want the MTV brand there's always VH1 which would be
    a good addition.
  • freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Viacom are reassessing there position in the UK
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ditch VIVA and air MTV Hits or MTV Music instead. If they won't want the MTV brand there's always VH1 which would be a good addition.

VIVA is the FTA brand across Europe, so that's unlikely to change.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could the slot be for one of the CBS channels Drama, Action or Reality?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could the slot be for one of the CBS channels Drama, Action or Reality?

They aren't Viacom channels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone Heard anything new on whether this is going to happen or is it just Chinese Whispers?
  • BangersBangers Posts: 3,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone heard something don't you think they'd have posted it here already?
  • daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it would be good if Nicklelodeon were FTA after all Nickelodeon is FTA in most of Europe
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daniel99 wrote: »
    it would be good if Nicklelodeon were FTA after all Nickelodeon is FTA in most of Europe

The problem here is that Nickelodeon UK is a joint operation between MTV Networks Europe (Viacom) and Sky. Sky might not want the channel to be FTA. That shouldn't prevent Viacom from putting FTA content on DTT, but probably means it will use another name.
  • mseven1mseven1 Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Viacom were to put a channel on freeview it would be MTV because they own the whole channel. Nickelodeon UK is 40% owned by BSKYB. Comedy Central is 25% owned by BSKYB so it would get complicated and both would probably need to be as a time share or individual because of the difference in percentages between the two channels unless they even out the ownership to more equal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mseven1 wrote: »
    If Viacom were to put a channel on freeview it would be MTV because they own the whole channel. Nickelodeon UK is 40% owned by BSKYB. Comedy Central is 25% owned by BSKYB so it would get complicated and both would probably need to be as a time share or individual because of the difference in percentages between the two channels unless they even out the ownership to more equal.

It wouldn't be MTV, Viva is the FTA brand of the music channel used across Europe. There's nothing to stop Viacom showing children's programmes on DTT, they could easily use a brand name not linked with the BSkyB joint operation.