Goodnight Sweetheart

Comments

• clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I never really understood why they did not 'investigate' Gary and Phoebe's post 1945 life in 1999 (they could both have been still alive and Gary must have been in two places at once for, say, the 1960s!)
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Would Phoebe still have been alive?

I thought Phoebe was announced to have died in the episode where Gary met his son in the 90's, as Michael brought in lots of his mum's (Phoebe) things.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicholas Lyndhurst going to appear in New Tricks soon.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clarky323 wrote: »
    I thought Phoebe was announced to have died in the episode where Gary met his son in the 90's, as Michael brought in lots of his mum's (Phoebe) things.

It was cleverly played, as I recall, not actually stated, presumed only. Actually wistfully played, I thought.

In any case Gary changed the past and so altered his son's future....hence he may have also altered Phoebe's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Nicholas Lyndhurst going to appear in New Tricks soon.

More details in the two posts earlier in this thread that refer to this. :)
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was cleverly played, as I recall, not actually stated, presumed only.

When Gary visits his son in that run-down flat, he gets his son talking about Phoebe. 'Tell me, is she still alive now?' asks Gary, in a very tentative way, obviously fearing the worst. Just then, the landlord and a couple of thugs barge in, demanding rent, and after Gary gets rid of them, what he was asking is forgotten. It is such a teasing moment, as we nearly find out but not quite.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happy to be proven wrong, but I thought it was the first episode back after the show first 'ended' with them becoming millionaires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZXrvl-yqlw
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I always thought Phoebe was dead and to Gary that is how he could justify what he did

He married Phoebe before Yvonne was born and by the time he met and married Yvonne Phoebe was already dead so he didn't see it as cheating or bigamy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    That would have been interesting, but I wonder how they'd have handled it. What could they have had Yvonne do/say? Would Phoebe still have been alive? I thought Emma Amos was excellent in the final episode; my heart broke for her a little when things finally dawned on her and she realised that 'all the existing laws of physics are crap'. :D

Why?.

Yvonne was abhorrent as Gary had become.

That said I can easily believe Yvonne actually means blonde, manipulative, materialistic, scheming little b*tch.

Maybe I've just met the wrong Yvonnes.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    I always thought Phoebe was dead and to Gary that is how he could justify what he did

He married Phoebe before Yvonne was born and by the time he met and married Yvonne Phoebe was already dead so he didn't see it as cheating or bigamy.

Gary: My wives exist in different temporal aspects of a four-dimensional space-time continuum.
    Ron: Typical bigamist's excuse!

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ncr1969 wrote: »
    Why?.

Yvonne was abhorrent as Gary had become.

That said I can easily believe Yvonne actually means blonde, manipulative, materialistic, scheming little b*tch.

Maybe I've just met the wrong Yvonnes.:D

I thought Yvonne was OK, personally. I felt sorry for her in the end too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    I thought Yvonne was OK, personally. I felt sorry for her in the end too.
    I think lager swilling Ron came off the most decent of the characters in the end. :D
    It was an odd way to end the series, Yvonne got to realise what a selfish wife she had been but Gary never got what he deserved for cheating and that was unfair.
    We needed to see a showdown between them or at least Yvonne slip through the time gate and see Gary together with Phoebe and son.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    When the portal closed Gary said it was because he saved Attlee was that a fact or just Gary's opinion could it simply be that was a portal to WW2 and WW2 was over so either the portal closed or reset itself to the beginning of WW2 again but that closed it for Gary?

One thing what I think could have been interesting to see a old Gary watch himself go through the portal for the first time thinking about it he may even have been the one to call for his TV repairing to get his younger self there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    IGary never got what he deserved for cheating and that was unfair.

I think he did-he ended up losing the good life in the 1990s, and the more exciting and attractive partner in his life. He had to make do full-time with being fifty years in his past, with its relative lack of mod cons, and all the features of that age that look so backward and seem like bad things to someone born and raised when he was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    received a reply from UK GOLD today
    Thank you for your email.

We are sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the scheduling of Goodnight Sweetheart.

We schedule episodes in order, but sometimes an episode is judged to be unsuitable for pre-watershed transmission by our compliance checkers.

If we are showing the programme before the watershed, we may have to skip certain episodes, to prevent risking an Ofcom fine if viewers complain.

There may be an issue with showing certain episodes if they conflict with similar shows on other channels or if we are unable to obtain the rights to that episode. We are also sensitive to current affairs and an episode may be replaced at late notice due to the topics it covers.

Where possible we show all the episodes in the right order, except that some episodes may have to be missed out. Whilst we realise this can affect the flow of the story, we do our best to maintain running order.

We have to abide by the standards required by Ofcom and our responsibility as a broadcaster.

We can also add that All About Yvonne" was in our schedules for 7am and 10.20am on Thursday May 23,2013, and then 6:50am on Friday 24th and 11am Saturday the 25th.

Kind regards

The UKTV Team
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he did-he ended up losing the good life in the 1990s, and the more exciting and attractive partner in his life. He had to make do full-time with being fifty years in his past, with its relative lack of mod cons, and all the features of that age that look so backward and seem like bad things to someone born and raised when he was.

Yes, exactly.
  • pembo2004pembo2004 Posts: 4,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    to let you all know

it being repeated today at 11 20 am on gold
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^ yeah running through the whole series again by the looks of it, two episodes a day though! I will watch the first series again (as the first time I watched it a few months back, I didn't really understand it) but probably won't bother anymore of it, just buy the DVD or something!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they ever brought GS back, they could do stories about Gary selling the old Beatles songs he played on the piano in the 40s to John, Paul, George and Ringo-or a story about him pretending he was doing, or how else could he explain these songs suddenly ending up in the pop charts, when people who knew him had already heard them from him?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Fair enough. Thanks. Maybe I was recalling an alternative time line....:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clarky323 wrote: »
    received a reply from UK GOLD today

Do not get that? Are they saying it was not allowed to show it an hour or so before the watershed but okay to do so during the day??? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the best chance of a return is via UK Gold or Dave in the way Yes, Prime Minister and Red Dwarf were revived. Though the same writers Birds of a Feather is coming back to the BBC apparently following the success of the stage version that has toured the UK last year and this.

The creators did try to revive Goodnight, Sweetheart as a stage musical (for which it is particularly suited).

They are now much more heavily involved in writing stage musicals set in the past (eg Dreamboats and Petticoats and Save the last dance for me) (in which they admit using some themes from the planned GS musical).

So I would not rule out them returning to the idea to make a stage musical out of Goodnight, Sweetheart one day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do not get that? Are they saying it was not allowed to show it an hour or so before the watershed but okay to do so during the day??? :confused:

I know I didn't understand that either, be interesting to see if it gets shown this time round, mid-afternoon, maybe its because kids are at school during the day so are unable to see it. what with today's sky+ and BBC iPlayer ect... I don't know why they bother with all that rubbish anyway, kids can find a way of watching it they want!
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,757
    Forum Member
    When the portal closed Gary said it was because he saved Attlee was that a fact or just Gary's opinion could it simply be that was a portal to WW2 and WW2 was over so either the portal closed or reset itself to the beginning of WW2 again but that closed it for Gary?

One thing what I think could have been interesting to see a old Gary watch himself go through the portal for the first time thinking about it he may even have been the one to call for his TV repairing to get his younger self there.

I never thought of that, regarding whether it was saving Attlee or just WWII ending, that caused the portal to close.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I never really liked the second Phoebe, she always seemed a bit dopey and slow compared to the original one who was quite bright and sharp.
    I missed the episode where Gary met his son. What happened?
  • ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes - but he also had the great advantage (and reward) of an unparalleled knowledge of the future which he could use to make life pretty cushy for himself. For instance he could buy up Microsoft right at the beginning.