Waterloo Road Series 8 Discussion Thread 23/08/2012

Comments

• far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    Ian Beale's Mrs is starting to annoy me :mad:
  • AdamDowdsAdamDowds Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Connor and Christine story is so repetitive, just going round in circles every week.

Apart from that, I have been moved by Naveed Choudhry's portrayal of Tariq these past weeks, and every other story has been interesting.
  • MorgsieMorgsie Posts: 16,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When are the Teachers going to find out about Christine????
    Forum Member
    Oh bugger off BBC Action line :mad: :mad:
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdamDowds wrote: »
    The Connor and Christine story is so repetitive, just going round in circles every week.

Apart from that, I have been moved by Naveed Choudhry's portrayal of Tariq these past weeks, and every other story has been interesting.
    From what I understand about enabling behaviour - that's exactly what *does* happen..
  • pognog2pognog2 Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morgsie wrote: »
    When are the Teachers going to find out about Christine????

End of term cliffhanger ......

Have they gave a reason for Nikki not being in the first 10 episodes?
  • SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,834
    Forum Member
    The switch of school type is quite topical given the situation with the government pushing for free schools and academies - I wonder by the end of the series if there will have been an overall theme of independent state schools = good, LA comps = bad.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why was the Richard Attenborough lookalike sitting in the pub with a beer rather then looking after his own school?
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh lordy that was awful.

What had great potential in the Tariq storyline was utterly ruined by slap dash storyline complete with wood block stand in Tom.

It's almost becoming a suspend belief programme. It's so hillariously unrealistic its bordering on comedic terms.

I can only assume Alex Norton wanted an easy gig with easy money in his locale.

I can't find a single positive in this episode at all. Waterloo Road badly needs an OFSTED inspection
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Ah, I wanted to cheer Mrs McFall in this! The only member of staff with any authority whatsoever. "Pick it up. Now."
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Ah, I wanted to cheer Mrs McFall in this! The only member of staff with any authority whatsoever. "Pick it up. Now."

She delivered that line fantastically, brilliant actress. The guy playing Connor is quite talented too.... I still want his bloody coat! :p:D

Overall, a round-about great episode tonight in my opinion. It grates on me when people endlessly complain about it - they still continue to watch it and go out of their way to post about it on the internet.
    I was hoping Maddi might have improved as a character a little bit, but annoyed me just as before. And this rival headmaster...the only places we've seen him are in his rival school, a pub, and stalking his rivals in a restaurant. Some authority figure he is :p

Best of all, I'm finding continuity within this series to be a tad better than it was before. It's a step up from characters appearing in one off episodes never to be seen again. :)
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found the scene where Michael rescued Tariq pathetically unrealistic. It was bad enough when the headteachers used to drive around town looking for missing pupils.
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Have watched Waterloo Road from the beginning and agree it has lost all sense of reality..but something keeps me watching and I do still enjoy it..but dont have that sense of "cant wait for the next episode" that I used to have.

Did anyone see this movie with "Michael" in..it was on Sky movies a few months back..he was a bit of an action man in this although doesnt last too long..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1422136/
  • lmddawsonlmddawson Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Another great episode. Can't believe I forgot about Nikki! She was one of my favourite characters too! Next week looks really good, too.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why Waterloo road can't go back to how it was in the first few series with stories that run throughout the whole series mainly about the teachers? Hate this pupil of the week format but i am liking the Conner and his alcoholic mum story but they need other series long stories running alongside and to cut out the pupil of the week format.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I came to terms that Waterloo Road is the most unrealistic programme on television a long time ago! It jumped the shark like five series ago, but I still find it a highly entertaining programme.
    lmddawson wrote: »
    Another great episode. Can't believe I forgot about Nikki! She was one of my favourite characters too! Next week looks really good, too.

Nikki was one of my favourite characters too, but I am a big fan of Heather Peace who played her.
    I don't understand why Waterloo road can't go back to how it was in the first few series with stories that run throughout the whole series mainly about the teachers? Hate this pupil of the week format but i am liking the Conner and his alcoholic mum story but they need other series long stories running alongside and to cut out the pupil of the week format.

I used to like it when it focused more on the teachers as well. The first two series are my favourite series.

As for last night's episode, it was OK. Though I can't help but feel the issue of Tariq's suicide attempt was so badly done. I can't believe Tom and Michael let him go back into the water to complete in the trials, just after he attempted to take his own life! I'm enjoying the storyline with Connor and his mum the most at the moment.
  • emma_92emma_92 Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    I still dont think we have met many scottish characters considering the show is now in scotland...

also maddi says tariq differently to everyone else which annoys me she pronounces it tareek
  • kenny7kenny7 Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Christine storyline is a bit boring at the moment, hope it gets better.

The Tariq stuff was great I thought.

Would like to see some older girls join the show though, there's only Maddi I think?
  • vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As for last night's episode, it was OK. Though I can't help but feel the issue of Tariq's suicide attempt was so badly done. I can't believe Tom and Michael let him go back into the water to complete in the trials, just after he attempted to take his own life! I'm enjoying the storyline with Connor and his mum the most at the moment.

It was symbolic rather than realistic, Michael allowed it purely on the basis on the fact Tariq wanted to end his life because he had lose control of it. It was a sense of giving a person respect and a challenge to continue life, much like Michael had a purpose to give children a better upbringing this his own. The two plots mixed, even the fight was symbolic of this theme.
  • enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evening all.
  • vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone. Oh dear - they just condensed Tariq's breakdown and recovery into 10 seconds - I hope he isn't "fine" now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all... here we go..
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how much angst will flood this episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how much angst will flood this episode.
    Oh - tons..
    Forum Member
    vixyvic wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Oh dear - they just condensed Tariq's breakdown and recovery into 10 seconds - I hope he isn't "fine" now.

Looks that way :rolleyes: