Icons on desktop moving

Why do Icons not stay where I put them on the desktop? Whenever I switch my computer on, I often find that they have gone back to their previous layout.

The McAfee icon in particular refuses to stay where it is put, and always migrates back to the same position!

Only a minor issue I know, but I just wondered if anyone knows why this happens?

Thanks.

Comments

• DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make sure you haven't got 'auto arrange' selected. You can check this by right clicking the desktop, selecting view then removing the tick from 'auto arrange'.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is your PC connected to a TV, or do you turn your PC on while the monitor is off?

I have found that if the PC thinks the monitor or resolution has changed, the desktop icons change location to suit the 'new' screen size.
  • DarkestHourDarkestHour Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, sounds like your desktop is reacting to changes in resolution and re-arranging the icons according to that new resolution.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Thanks very much for the replies.
    Daedroth wrote: »
    Make sure you haven't got 'auto arrange' selected. You can check this by right clicking the desktop, selecting view then removing the tick from 'auto arrange'.

I checked and no I don't have auto arrange selected.
    Stig wrote: »
    Is your PC connected to a TV, or do you turn your PC on while the monitor is off?

I have found that if the PC thinks the monitor or resolution has changed, the desktop icons change location to suit the 'new' screen size.

It's not connected to a TV, and it's a laptop, so no separate monitor.
    Forum Member
    Yeah, sounds like your desktop is reacting to changes in resolution and re-arranging the icons according to that new resolution.

I haven't altered the resolution myself. It just stays on the recommended 1366 x768. Unless maybe something is causing the computer to make automatic adjustments by itself? But I haven't noticed any obvious difference; the display always seems to look as sharp and clear as normal.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One more thing to try........
    Right click on the desktop click 'Personalize' then 'Change desktop icons' and make sure that 'Allow themes to change desktop icons' is not ticked
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    You say you haven't got 'auto arrange' selected, but do you have 'align icons to grid' instead?
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »
    You say you haven't got 'auto arrange' selected, but do you have 'align icons to grid' instead?

No, it's not that either.
    mac2708 wrote: »
    One more thing to try........
    Right click on the desktop click 'Personalize' then 'Change desktop icons' and make sure that 'Allow themes to change desktop icons' is not ticked

This appears to have been the problem! Thanks very much.